In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

OK wise old Air Force / Military answer me this

sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭

Im in backwoods BF Arkansas edge of Ozark's, last night kept hearing LOUD Booms.. After a bit figured out it was aircraft. We went up on the Mountain and could see I guess dogfight training ?????? about every 30 minutes one would gas it and We would get a boom, they did it until around 5am . Night time so could not make out what kind of jets ... would this not be odd in the middle of the night ?? We get alot if big slow cargo planes out if Jacksonville AFB but never seen anything like this. Several people saw it .. all they are talking about in local FB room

Comments

• Options
    JohnERebJohnEReb Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Is your question about the boom? If so, likely the "sonic boom" as the jet breaks the sound barrier and travels faster than the speed of sound.

• Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭

Is your question about the boom? If so, likely the "sonic boom" as the jet breaks the sound barrier and travels faster than the speed of sound

i know what the hell a sonic boom is,, why the hell would they be doing this in the middle of the night miles away from any AF base

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭

Is your question about the boom? If so, likely the "sonic boom" as the jet breaks the sound barrier and travels faster than the speed of sound

i know what the hell a sonic boom is,, why the hell would they be doing this in the middle of the night miles away from any AF base

Ummm...  Because the neighbors near the AF base complained about the noise?  
    Having to listen to the occasional sonic boom strikes me as a small price to pay for having a well trained and finely honed Air Force.  
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
     Target practice with small explosive payload...maybe, but the public would be advised ahead of time, sonic boom in your area, very unlikely.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    Sonic boom were common when I was young but new rules have outlawed supersonic flight over much of the US.
    I wonder if what you were hearing was the sound of afterburners getting lit during the exercise.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    There's no way to answer that except with wild-* guesses.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    rivethookrivethook Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Just the "Sound Of Freedom"
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭
    rivethook said:
    Just the "Sound Of Freedom"
    So you are saying it's Trumps fault?😊 Bob
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited January 2020

Ummm...  Because the neighbors near the AF base complained about the noise?  
    Having to listen to the occasional sonic boom strikes me as a small price to pay for having a well trained and finely honed Air Force.  

My thoughts exactly. Though I do wonder about the timing a bit.  Probably just a night exercise and they wanted to do it where the fewest people would be impacted.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I was on SDNCO at Camp Merrill one night and some guy called in complaining about UH-60's in his area.  I told him it was the sound of freedom and to live with it.

I got in a little trouble from the XO...........................

RLTW

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    My favorite tale about a fellow public affairs spokesman was the lieutenant who fielded a noise complaint. The complainer sad jets were flying right over his house real low. The lieutenant asked him if the stars on the wings were blue or red. "Blue" said the complainer. "You're welcome," said the lieutenant.
    Back to this one...For starters, we do not even know if the "booms" and the aircraft had anything to do with each other. Could be just coincidence. Second, Little Rock AFB has no fighter aircraft, only airlift (cargo). And they don't "dogfight."
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    Could have been aircraft from Whiteman AFB.  Little known home of the B2 and "Other aircraft assigned to Whiteman include the Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II ground-attack fighter; the Northrop T-38 Talon jet trainer, and the Boeing AH-64 Apache attack helicopter."
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    My favorite tale about a fellow public affairs spokesman was the lieutenant who fielded a noise complaint. The complainer sad jets were flying right over his house real low. The lieutenant asked him if the stars on the wings were blue or red. "Blue" said the complainer. "You're welcome," said the lieutenant.
    Back to this one...For starters, we do not even know if the "booms" and the aircraft had anything to do with each other. Could be just coincidence. Second, Little Rock AFB has no fighter aircraft, only airlift (cargo). And they don't "dogfight."
    I told the following old joke to my dad and he laughed and said "That's a SAC joke!"

"A cargo plane is flying along, doing its cargo plane thing, when a fighter jet comes up alongside.

The fighter jock decides to poke some fun at the pilot who's forced to fly such an ungainly vessel.

"My plane's so much more advanced than yours. Watch this" says the jock, as he proceeds to do loop-de-loops, barrel rolls, corkscrews, and all manner of fast paced aerial acrobatics.

"Very impressive," responds the cargo pilot. "But that's nothing, watch this." For a half hour the large craft simply ploded along straight as an arrow, not even so much as dipping the wings.

After a while, the cargo pilot comes back on the radio and says "So, what'd you think?"

Jock: "What d'you mean? You didn't do anything. You just flew straight for a while."

Cargo: "Oh no, that wasn't all. I got up, went to the bathroom, grabbed a sandwich and a cup of coffee..."

• Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    I was in the Air Force 10 years and there are certain places where the planes only fly at night. That way there is no pictures we try to keep some things from the Chinese.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

If you are close to an aircraft going supersonic more often than not you will actually hear a “double boom”

“boom-boom” in rapid succession. This is actually the front and rear of the aircraft breaking the sound barrier & it is very distinct.