In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kobe

Comments

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

Reminder:

Life is short.

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Thats too bad his young daughter was with him along with others.

RIP
    RLTW

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The blessing becomes the curse...all that fortune contributed to his demise.  Peace to his family...
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    shilowar said:
    all that fortune contributed to his demise. 
    I was thinking the same thing! Don
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    just posted......kobe and daughter....teammate and mom....and pilot.....
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the players in the NBA are what Kobe wasn't.  Kobe was one of the greatest of all time but acted like a gentleman any time I ever saw him on TV.  What was it, just last night, LaBron passed Kobe in the all time scoring list to take over the third place??
    I hate that his daughter died with him.  His poor wife, loosing her husband and her daughter at the same time.  There is no pain like loosing a child.  I truly feel for her.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    Had to read the link to find out who he was. Basketball explains why I didn't know him.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    update..sheriff says 9 bodies at scene...no names released till positive ID
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Just not devastated . Kalifornia will probably name a holiday after him.
  • Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    This just in. The Democrats have added a new charge in the impeachment trial. Trump had the helicopter shot down with a missile.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
  • Options

He was a good dude.

He was married to one woman, and the father of four girls.

In an industry where loyalty does not exist he played for one team and one team only. Not even Michael Jordan, Babe Ruth, or Joe Montana can say that.

He was an athlete with ice in his veins when it mattered most & for 20 years the path to an NBA championship meant going through L.A.

Yes he was only a basketball player, but you shouldn’t have to look hard to find a reason to respect him and maybe even mourn his loss.

• Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    And ??????

The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    He settled out of court for an alleged rape case .
  • Options
    Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    Sad to hear of anyone's untimely demise. But in the end he is a human. No better or worse than the rest of us. We each have our time and his was today. Tragedy yes. I feel more for his child though.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
    Warbirds said:

Reminder:

Life is short.

Yep, and just because you wake up in the morning is no guarantee you'll make it to bed time.
  • Options

My network is saying CFIT.

Controlled Flight Into Terrain.

It was foggy and the Helo pilot drove it into the side of a mountain.

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭
    "The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."

Rest in Peace Kobe
  • Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    He was a great athletic talent. I guess the strip clubs, defense attorneys  and jewelry stores are gonna have to  find other clients. I didn't think your respect was so easily bought Warbirds.
    He never did anything to earn mine.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Kobe?
    The Japanese beef guy is dead?
    What will we do?  I considered him my personal hero.  I depended on him to give me my political opinions.  
    I feel such a personal loss...I can't stop crying.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    us55840 said:
    Had to read the link to find out who he was. Basketball explains why I didn't know him.
    Yup .......... don't watch any grownups playing kiddie school yard games. 
    Heard about it on the news this AM as was reading this as clicking on this post as thought it was about kobe beef  https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-kobe-beef.htm 
    Everything and everyone that has lived will die........the specific time is unknown
    True but very very unlikely I will die in a helicopter crash 

• Options

Well all of that is fair. I will just say after 9/11/2001 we were gearing up on the USS John C Stennis to go kick some *. He actually came out to the ship and played basketball with people in the hangar bay for a whole day before the ship pulled out.

I didn’t play basketball with him but pretty much anyone on that ship got the opportunity to shoot around with him that day.

I always thought that was cool & he didnt need to do it. There was no press, I don’t even think there was a Navy Times article about it.

Kid Rock & Pam Anderson also came through & toured the ship.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    us55840 said:
    Yup .......... don't watch any grownups playing kiddie school yard games. 
    Heard about it on the news this AM as was reading this as clicking on this post as thought it was about kobe beef  https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-kobe-beef.htm 
    Everything and everyone that has lived will die........the specific time is unknown
    True but very very unlikely I will die in a helicopter crash 

unlikely but not impossible to have one crash into your house/car or you..... I do agree though I think his money did him in, if he hadn't been rich it would be more likely he would have been in a car, still could have wrecked, but car crash more survivable than helicopter crash, do feel sorry for his family.
  • Options
    Warbirds said:

+1

That is what the news is reporting too. 

RLTW

• Options
    vrichardvrichard Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    He settled out of court for an alleged rape case .
    I`m glade you brought that up,because it is true.
    Dick

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    I heared a commentator on Fox News this morning comparing Kobe to Pat Tillman.  Saying they both sacrificed something one for his family meaning Kobe and the other Tillman for his country. 

As a veteran this comparison did not sit well with me.  Tillman gave up his high paying career and gave the ultimate sacrifice of his life for his country.  There is NO comparison.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    Heard on the news this morning that he shot and made two free throws after rupturing his Achilles.  I can't even imagine being able to do such a thing.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Pilot was also an instructor in helos. Had his IFR rating..
  • Options
    SW0320 said:
    I heared a commentator on Fox News this morning comparing Kobe to Pat Tillman.  Saying they both sacrificed something one for his family meaning Kobe and the other Tillman for his country. 

As a veteran this comparison did not sit well with me.  Tillman gave up his high paying career and gave the ultimate sacrifice of his life for his country.  There is NO comparison.

This commentator had a slip of tongue...oops

• Options
    SW0320 said:

Not even a comparison Kobe was a great athlete but no where near what Pat did.

RIP Pat from a fellow Blacksheep
    RLTW

• Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    Warbirds said:

Not exactly, "The preliminary data suggests the aircraft, which crashed about 40 minutes after takeoff, briefly climbed to a top altitude of above 2,500 feet before it descended at a high rate before the crash."

It will probably be quite a while before they will have a final report about the rapid decent if they are ever able.

• Options
    I guess I don't get the massive weeping and adulation. Yes he was (I'm told) a great basketball player. But did he contribute anything to mankind or his country besides a bit of entertainment? If not, he's no more important a figure than 99.999999% of everyone else who ever lived. In my book, any clerk typist corporal in the Army deserves more credit.
  • Options
    76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Helicopter was owned by the State of Illinois prior to crash:

C&P:

By Ben Orner / of Capitol News Illinois
    Posted at 1:49 PM

The luxury helicopter that crashed Sunday morning in California, killing all nine people on board including former NBA star Kobe Bryant, was once owned by the state of Illinois.

The Sikorsky S-76B helicopter was built in 1991, according to the Federal Aviation Administration’s aircraft registry. The state of Illinois used it from 2007 to 2015, according to helicopter information database Helis.

Under the direction of former Gov. Bruce Rauner, the state sold the helicopter along with four other surplus aircraft in 2015 for $2.5 million. Rauner said selling the aircraft “also avoided an additional $1 million in inspections and repairs,” according to an Associated Press story after the sales.

The winning bid for the helicopter was $515,161, placed by user “Jimbagge1,” according to a listing on the state’s online auction website, iBid. Both the aircraft and its two engines had just under 4,000 hours of airframe time when the copter was sold.

At the time of the crash, the registered owner of the helicopter was Island Express Holding Corp of Van Nuys, Calif., which registered it a month after it was won at auction.

The state of Illinois previously attempted to sell the helicopter in 2014 but received zero bids, according to that auction’s iBid listing.

A public information officer at the Illinois Department of Transportation, which maintains state aircraft, did not have any available information regarding the helicopter or its uses for the state.

The copter’s information page on Helis, however, labels it as “VIP Governor.”

A public information officer for the governor’s office also did not have available information. A public information officer for the Illinois Department of Central Management Services, which operates iBid, did not immediately respond to a request for more information.

Sikorsky is a subsidiary of Lockheed Martin, an American defense contractor.

Bryant, 41, played for the Los Angeles Lakers from 1996 to 2016. He won five NBA championships, the Most Valuable Player award in 2008 and appeared in 18 all-star games.

One of his four daughters, Gianna, 13, was also killed in Sunday’s crash. Bryant also leaves behind his wife of 18 years, Vanessa.

• Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    Pilot was also an instructor in helos. Had his IFR rating..
    He could have switched to IFR from VFR , Climbed to clear sky and waited but doing so in LAX airspace would have cost lots of time.  If there was a mechanical issue whatever it was by the time he realized,  it was sphincter factor 5  out of time.   

CFIT 
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    He had money, he took helicopters on a regular basis to avoid car traffic and save time.   So he spent quite a bit of time flying.  Odds are odds, that day they lost as long a shot as it was.   Sorry for the people involved and the family left to mourn.  This is no different than anyone else dying in a transportation crash.  Most families have lost people this way.  
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Since when can you purchase a "Luxury," Helicopter for $550,000? Or even a regular Helicopter, for that matter, at that price?

• Options
    When you're the highest bidder, obviously.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    It was mentioned earlier here that it was due for $1M for inspection and repairs.  I suspect he paid more than that for luxury.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭

Since when can you purchase a "Luxury," Helicopter for $550,000? Or even a regular Helicopter, for that matter, at that price?

Well it was a 24 year old helicopter, with a significant amount of maintenance required.  You can find a "luxury" Rolls Royce for relatively cheap too if it requires double it's price in maintenance.