In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Swedish Mauser M-94

Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in General Discussion
I resumed cleaning some guns in my safe today that's not seen daylight in sometime. 

One of those guns I cleaned was a 6.5 x 55 sporterized Swedish Mauser, a Carl Gustafs Stads Gevarsfaktor Model 94 Carbine, made in 1904 that I inherited from my uncle back in 1999. The bolt and other parts match on the old gun. They're stamped 106 which is the last 3 digits of the serial number which is 50106. 

My uncle bought the old rifle in Knoxville, TN back around 1958 or '59. It was the first center fire rifle (6.5 x 55) that I ever shot back then. I've only taken it out and shot it once since I inherited it and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it shot and how accurate it is after all these years. Any of you guys have a Swedish Mauser in stock form or sporterized? 

When I first got the gun I noticed that there's a piece of the barrel at the tip that does not have rifling in it and didn't take the bluing like the rest of the barrel. It's a different color. Someone told me that piece was welded on to the end of the barrel in order for it to be long enough to be imported into the USA since it was to short at its original length. I checked that out with some Swedish Mauser collectors which confirmed that was the case.  

The brass heart that's on the butt stock must be a piece somebody found to put in place of the round brass piece I've seen on other Swedish Mausers that haven't been sporterized. That piece doesn't look very good with the hole in it.

A lot of military rifle collectors don't like seeing them sporterized but this one was already done so it's not mine or my uncles fault that it got chopped up. But I have to be honest about it, I like the looks of it but then I'm not a collector of military rifles. 
I would guess military rifle collectors feel like I do when I see a Winchester Model 12 or 97 pump shotgun that's been whacked on or an old lever action rifle that's had a scope mounted on it. 

Looks like about 3/8" to 1/2" of barrel was welded on. 

Comments

• Options
    spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    More likely it had a military sight cover on it then was sportized.
    Rob
  • Options
    spec.4 said:
    Rob
    There's no rifling in that section on mine when you look down the barrel. You can see where it's been added on.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    I had several in original form, sold them all off. Last one was a 1899 date I think worked like new. Real Craftsmen ship back in the day.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool old rifle.

Back then you could military bolt guns cheap, do a little work on them and have a nice handy hunting rifle.  I have had several sporterized Military rifles pass through my hands.  The last one was a 03a3 that was probably done in the 60's.  It was fine shooter and very accurate.
    RLTW

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    Short barrels on centerfire rifles, (-20'). Make them light and handy. Specially in vehicles, and densely wooded areas.  No fun extended shooting  through. Never had any experience, shooting the Swede 94 carbine? But shooting Russian M 1944 carbines, and Mauser Dutch police carbines. Made my eyes water, from the muzzle blast. Perceived  recoil, also seemed worse. OK for casual hunting, or truck guns. Shooting long strings at a range, with a bunch of other folks. Gets you a lot of dirty looks.
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭
    I've  got  5  of the  Swedish Carbines (4 original).  The  extension was added to  extend the barrel for importation, the regulations, way back,  stated that barrel need to be  18" to import. So a short  extension was welded on.  Now it is only 16 ".
    If a Model 94 has been previously alter for  sporting use that is ok (?) I have one that is a  great deer gun that  has been worked over and  can never be  restored.   But I  enjoy the  original  Short  stocked carbines.
    Can you Say Muzzle blast !!!
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I have a made in 1915 Berlin (Oberndorff) Gewehr 98, Nazi Arsenal reconfigured to a Kar98 in 43' (according to the codes on the barrel.) Sporterized.

One of my best deals. Working as a Heavy Equipment Operator at a Sawmill, there was a lot of buying, selling, trading going on. My friend made a 2fer deal on the .22 he wanted, and another rifle he knew nothing about. Being a "Gun Guy," he wanted to know if I was interested in it.

A couple days later he approached my loader, with what I immediately recognized as a German Mauser, by the brass take down ring in the stock. He did not want to Sell it - he wanted me to trade him something out of my safe for it.

We settled on a RIA/Armscor M20P semi- auto .22 with a UTG Red dot on it. I had maybe $275 in it. (I had two of them.) We were both happy. Win - Win.

Nice Mauser. Very smooth. Trying to decide if it is going to Ricci, or not. It is difficult to decide what to part with. 🤔

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful rifle!   I like the looks of that little m94.
    I love the Swede Mausers, I have 4 of them.  Mine are all the long rifles.  I bought my first one at a gun store in Atlanta named Brock's in 1990.
    I went in there, their center rack in the middle of the floor had 150 Swedes in it.  I had never heard of the Swedish Mauser.
    The really good ones were $150, the medium were $125, and the cheapos were $100.  To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference.
    I bought a $125 model.  I saw 2 other guys buy Swedes on that day. Also they had a stack of Swede milsurp ammo, one battle pack of 200 rounds, $75. I bought one battle pack.   I went home, shot the rifle, and came back to buy another one two weeks later.  I saw that the center rack was full of Swedes.  I asked the guy how many they had, he said they had 500 more in crates in the back, plus plenty of ammo. I bought another one for $125, as well as another battle pack.    Match grade accurate ammo made in 1976, and non corrosive.
    Gotta love the Swedes.

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    spec.4 said:
    Rob
    There's no rifling in that section on mine when you look down the barrel. You can see where it's been added on.

Smitty, it wasn't welded on, what you're seeing is where it was "counter bored". It's common on Russian Mosin rifles where they remove a inch or two of rifling damaged from steel cleaning rods. It restored accuracy. Normally the barrel would be cut off where the good rifling started, and re-crowned.  On a military rifle, that wasn't feasible. In the case of your Swede, it was done to keep it legal length.
    The brass stock disc that got replaced with the heart, originally had the specs for barrel wear and accuracy on it. Somebody did a nice job on that military stock.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Sam06 said:
    Cool old rifle.
    :smile:
    Back then you could military bolt guns cheap, do a little work on them and have a nice handy hunting rifle.  I have had several sporterized Military rifles pass through my hands.  The last one was a 03a3 that was probably done in the 60's.  It was fine shooter and very accurate.
    I'm a fan of the 03-A3 sporters too. 
    I can't be blamed for this 03-A3 being chopped up either but I like it and it's the rifle that I shoot the best. It must be off pretty bad if I can shoot it well.   :):smiley:

• Options
    TRAP55 said

Smitty, it wasn't welded on, what you're seeing is where it was "counter bored". It's common on Russian Mosin rifles where they remove a inch or two of rifling damaged from steel cleaning rods. It restored accuracy. Normally the barrel would be cut off where the good rifling started, and re-crowned.  On a military rifle, that wasn't feasible. In the case of your Swede, it was done to keep it legal length.
    The brass stock disc that got replaced with the heart, originally had the specs for barrel wear and accuracy on it. Somebody did a nice job on that military stock.
    Thanks Trap, that's the best explanation I've heard. I was thinking if it was welded them dang Swed's really knew their stuff making that welded connection so smooth.  :)
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    "Thanks Trap, that's the best explanation I've heard."..............NOPE, the 'extensions' were welded on to make the barrels 'legal' for import back then. not counter bored
  • Options
    "Thanks Trap, that's the best explanation I've heard."..............NOPE, the 'extensions' were welded on to make the barrels 'legal' for import back then. not counter bored
    Well this is getting interesting. I guess I know what I'll be doing to night. Now where's that Mauser forum at? To be continued...
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    I've seen them counter bored, and I've seen an extension that was tack welded on, but if Mike says that's how they were done, then I stand corrected.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I agree with Mike.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I have a Carl Gustaf's model 96 (1912) sporterized  and I love it.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

The rifle could be counter bore. Counter boring will remove some rifling from the muzzle dur to wear and give a better rifling and muzzle for better Accuracy.

Rob