In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can I sell my custom built polymer 80 based pistol on gun broker?

Joe ElliotJoe Elliot Member Posts: 1
I built quite a nice pistol and I am now looking to sell it since I never have time to shoot it. It's technically a "Ghost Gun" so there's no serial number on the polymer 80 frame. Since I completely parted it out, I do have all of the receipts from each individual part though. Basically I just want to know if I can sell it on GunBroker without the ATF kicking down my door. Thanks in advance everyone.
                                                                                                            -Joe Elliot

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    Nice to meet you FBI.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    No problem Joe,  Just that it to Big Ed's bar, lay it on the bar, and yell "any of you AH's want to buy this pistol I made w/ no s/n?". I'm sure that will get a lot of attention.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you should start by contacting the ATF regarding your question. Bob
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    Joe, is this some kind of prank?
    If not you may be getting a visit from your Uncle.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Sure why not.................................

The guys with the cheap suits and a bulge under their arm will be along soon ;)
    RLTW

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
      I believe you can apply for a serial number from the ATF, but that is just what I thought I read. Check up on their sight.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited January 2020
    The 1968 Gun Control Act allows and unlicensed individual to make a firearm for personal use, but not for sale or distribution. You aren't supped to sell the pistol, but that doesn't mean that you can't.

Congratulations, you are now a firearms manufacturer. Your new pistol must be assigned a serial number- which cannot be used more than once, and be marked/engraved with a model name or number. It's your choice as to what you want to call your new wonder pistol- but I have Wonder Pistol trademarked and I will want a royalty :) You must also engrave the caliber, your name (you are the manufacture) and your city and state.  The makings must be a minimum of 1/16 inch in height and impressed to a minimum depth of .003 inches. 
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    The 1968 Gun Control Act allows and unlicensed individual to make a firearm for personal use, but not for sale or distribution. You aren't supped to sell the pistol, but that doesn't mean that you can't.

Congratulations, you are now a firearms manufacturer. Your new pistol must be assigned a serial number- which cannot be used more than once, and be marked/engraved with a model name or number. It's your choice as to what you want to call your new wonder pistol- but I have Wonder Pistol trademarked and I will want a royalty :) You must also engrave the caliber, your name (you are the manufacture) and your city and state.  The makings must be a minimum of 1/16 inch in height and impressed to a minimum depth of .003 inches. 

And now that he is a manufacturer, he will be getting a visit from the ATF about being unlicensed.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited January 2020

And now that he is a manufacturer, he will be getting a visit from the ATF about being unlicensed.
    Not necessarily. Someone needs to be "engaged in the business" of manufacturing firearms before the ATF will insist on his (or her) obtaining a Type 07 FFL. This area is similar to people buying and reselling firearms without obtaining a Type 01 Dealer FFL. The need for an FFL to manufacture firearms dates all the way back to 1955 when the ATTU (the predecessor to the BATF) made a ruling on the issue. Since then, ATF has similarly and consistently interpreted the term “manufacturer” under the GCA to mean any person who engages in the business of making firearms, by casting, assembly, alteration, or otherwise, for the purposes of sale and distribution. Make one pistol and sell it and you're under the radar. Make and sell half a dozen (pick any arbitrary number) and you'll need an 07 FFL. 
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hey Joe, Back in 2016, I built up a Model 37 Win with some left over spare parts and ran it past NY BCI at local F Troop. They dragged out the black bibles and said its legal but if a Md. trooper stops you on way to Va. you will spend 3 hours answering a lot of ?'s before they let you go. Very professionally done. No Serial Number, 20" barrel with stock cut and total length of 28.25". 

I also ran it past ATF NY Field Division at 646-335-9000 and they said firearm is legal. Don't know if number is still good.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    Fun thing about these Polymer 80 Glocks is...
    They cost more to build than buying a used or new Glock. I have 2 of them

• Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    He hasn't sold it yet, he has done nothing wrong.
    Mark answered the question above.  I will only add that you will get little to nothing for an 80% lower frankengun so you might as well keep it.  If you really want to sell it I would strip everything off of the lower and sell it as a "Complete AR kit, add your own lower" like some of the manufacturers do and just keep the lower for another build later.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Well I reckon this answers the other thread about showing the serial number
  • Options
    He hasn't sold it yet, he has done nothing wrong.
    Mark answered the question above.  I will only add that you will get little to nothing for an 80% lower frankengun so you might as well keep it.  If you really want to sell it I would strip everything off of the lower and sell it as a "Complete AR kit, add your own lower" like some of the manufacturers do and just keep the lower for another build later.
    Good points all around. I checked and there are currently 9237 Glock pistols listed on Gun Broker. Just how much interest a homemade pistol will generate remains to be seen, but the potential downside of the sale far outweighs any possible gain. 
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

I have bought poly80 frames for as little as $40.

Why not just sell the slide & trigger on GB?

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that the key words of the ATF ruling are, "No, a license is not required to make a firearm solely for personal use." I will debate the meaning of those words on this forum, but don't care to have an attorney argue for me in a federal court. I would think that you could freely GIVE a firearm you made to an eligible family member (state & local laws permitting). But, I doubt that any dealer would be willing to enter a homemade gun in his bound book.
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭
    As stated you will get more money out of the parts than for the whole item. Its my business to sell fire parts,   The frame just throw on shelf an forget about it, as you will only get pennys on the dollar for it.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting comment, Neal.  Can anyone else weigh-in on that giving or perhaps inherit to an eligible family member?
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    Sam06 said:
    Sure why not.................................

The guys with the cheap suits and a bulge under their arm will be along soon ;)
    That's so 80s, they wear 5.11 pants and golf shirts now....or jeans and a t-shirt most days....