In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A Trump Hypothetical

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
Suppose, just suppose, that POTUS is convicted in the Senate impeachment trial.  Remember that this only a hypothetical.  Plus I am rooting for Trump.

Anyway,  suppose that Trump is convicted and is now a felon under the constitution.  Would he be permitted to leave the USA and return?  
Would Trump be facing and prison time or other punishment or just kicked out of office?
Just heard that Sen  Lamar Alexander will be voting against more witnesses at the Senate trial,:)

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    How many times did BJ Clintoon leave and return on the loleta express?
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭
    The Senate is not a court of law. That is a separate branch of govt. How can you be a felon if it isn't  under the judicial branch? In a court of law the jury must be unanimous for a felony conviction. How would you ever get 100 politicians to do that? If they were to throw him out of office he could then be tried in a court of law. I doubt any politician wants that as he could subpoena every crooked one of them for his trial. This is more like the board of a corporation trying to remove the CEO because they don't like the way he is running the company. Bob
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a felon as far as I know.
    My question is: If he were to be expelled from office, could he turn right around and run again for 2020?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭

My understanding is that a conviction can have different penalties.

removal from office is one and banishment from future federal office is an option. He could be removed and re-elected potentially.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    Fun Fact:  One of the Dems in the House (Alcee Hastings) was a former Federal Judge who was impeached and removed from office.