In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR 500 targets

badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
edited June 2022 in Ask the Experts
I have a small collection of AR500 steel plates and have a question about the rating. They are 3/8" thick and advertised to withstand up to 3200 FPS muzzle velocity at 100 yards distance.
So would these things hold up to a 22-250 leaving the barrel at ~ 4000 FPS from a distance of 180 yards?  If not 180, what is a safe distance to use?
Thanks
Edit for bullet info, rifle twist rate is 1:12:
45gr JHP at 4000 FPS.
50gr JHP at 3850 FPS.
55gr HPBT at 3680 FPS.
62gr Scirocco II at 3595 FPS.
Its all factory loaded ammo, I don’t hand load for this caliber. 
Edit #2. Thanks @rufe-snow  @Mobuck , my primary concern is ricochet off hanging targets. I do not want to risk myself or anyone else that happens to be on the range at the time and 180 yards is the max distance I have available.
@mohawk600 , it was my understanding there would be no math  (green font)

Edit 6/6/22
Well, finally tried it out. 180 yards with the 62g scirocco bullet and left a nice little crater. 

Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.

Comments

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    Good question regarding physics. I found this........not going to do the math myself though.

https://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Ballistics/Term/AP/AP_Pen_Formula.htm
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it would be best, if you qualified your question regarding the bullets your using. The 22-250 is a old time varmint cartridge,  from the 1930's. Originally designed for a light bullet and a slow twist barrel.

Using a fast twist barrel, and loading the cases with some of the G.I. 855 & 855A1 bullets, (not at 4000 FPS). Are going to effect the penetration capabilities. 
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen 22/250 varmint type bullets whiz through common steel plate that had been stopping .223 similar type bullets with only minimal damage. My advice is to shoot a target with the load and check the results. I suspect one of my Grandkids shot an AR 500 swinger at about 65 yards with a .223 cause I noticed one of the targets at that distance has a significant ding in the surface. It sure wasn't caused by a 22 or 17HMR
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    At 100yrds, my .220 Swift punched holes in the 3/8ths steel plate, but just pockmarked the AR-500 with 52grn ballistic tip at 3900.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    From my past experience the 22-250 can dimple AR400-500 and HARDOX 450 with a slight nose impression out to about 250 yards.  Your distance helps but you will see some impact evidence especially with the lighter, faster bullets.  There is about zero danger of rebound shrapnel  impacting beyond 10 yards in front of the target.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies!
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options

Well, I don't think I'll try that again!

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Just to note, I've had shrapnel return 35 yds from 30 cal bullets.