In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mold in my drip coffee maker water reservoir

m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
So my wife and I have been feeling crappy and getting rashes for the past few months. Couldn't figure it out. Decided to throw away some jelly, maybe bad, I don't know. I put it on toast in the morning. Then had a cup of coffee to go with buttered toast yesterday. Started getting dizzy, nauseous, and feeling like poop. I checked the water reservoir in my Mr Coffee and found mold growing on the inside.
This is water from the reservoir after scrubbing with a bottle brush and Dawn antibacterial dish soap.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    Once a month or so run a tank of white vinegar threw the unit.  Cleans out the calcium and other build up. 
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    "At least once a month", fill the tank with white vinegar, let it set for three hours, then turn it on and run the vinegar through 2-3 times with a filter in the cup. Then run hot water through it. Never leave water sitting in it, the mold that grow in there is toxic. Ex wife found out the hard way with her Kuerig, unfortunately she survived it.
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Just did the vinegar cleaning this week.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Might be a good idea to test the drinking water for bacteria and such.
    You on private or public system?
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭
    maybe keeps ya from the virus
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    For safety reasons, this is why I prefer to drink beer.  :D
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭
     I do not drink much coffee but my  wife does about two years ago she told me she was not feeling well thought she had picked up a stomach bug 
     just on a hunch I did a inspection on the coffee maker and it was rough looking  possible mold and could have been  and  I am sure the cause of her feeling bad  after the cleaning she stated feeling better with in a day or three so now I use the vinegar
     clean out every couple months   . 

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Reverse side wife used vinegar to clean the coffee maker I made a cup and added some cream which immediately curdled, Vinegar still needed to flush a few more times LOL
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the tip. Just filled ours up with white vinegar and will follow TRAP's procedure.

What's next?
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    kimi said:

Thanks for the tip. Just filled ours up with white vinegar and will follow TRAP's procedure.

James, if it hasn't been done, and you have hard water, you may want to change the filter after the first run through. My water is a little bit softer than concrete, and the calcium scale builds up on the heat coil. Letting the vinegar set a couple of hrs on the first run, breaks it all loose. Rinse it good when you're done, the lid too, the hot vinegar will condense there. Cuts about 5 mins off the brew time on 8cups when you're done.

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******

Also check the seal of the yeti style travel glasses.

I had a friend who just couldn’t get well.

Antibiotics would help but after the prescription ran out he’d be right back where he started.

End up being mold under the gasket on the lid of his coffee travel mug he used every day.

• Options
    m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
    Mr. Coffee pot for sale, real clean only ten years old. Not really, the wife through it into the garbage can last night.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    TRAP55 said:
    kimi said:

James, if it hasn't been done, and you have hard water, you may want to change the filter after the first run through. My water is a little bit softer than concrete, and the calcium scale builds up on the heat coil. Letting the vinegar set a couple of hrs on the first run, breaks it all loose. Rinse it good when you're done, the lid too, the hot vinegar will condense there. Cuts about 5 mins off the brew time on 8cups when you're done.

Thank you!   It really did cut down on the brew time!   Now, I just need too make sure I rinse it again, and the lid, too!
    What's next?
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,385 ******
    I've had that "pickled" coffee a time or two!  Our Bunn needs to be flushed with at least a half dozen pots of clear water to clear out the vinegar in the reservoir.