In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Amazon

SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭
Is going to hire 100,000 people.  Now how can they allow all those people to go to work and yet they are shutting down the local mom and pop restaurant.  This is f***ed up.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Have you ever seen an Amazon warehouse?
    The only place you might come in contact with another human, within the 6 foot distance, is at lunch or maybe the washroom.

By comparison with restaurants and bars, most busy establishments have people stacked in either close proximity or on top of one another at some bars. Find pictures of busy nightclubs to get a better idea then look Amazon warehouses.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they can ship stuff from home :)
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    There's well over a hundred cars at any given time parked in front of the huge new Amazon distribution center they built in OKC. The building is huge though...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭
    I am just venting because I have so many friends that have small restaurants, less than 100 seats that make them a living, they are not getting rich and having to be closing for two to three weeks may come close to putting them out of business.  Yet the big businesses seem to get exemptions from the government.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    SW0320 said:
    I am just venting because I have so many friends that have small restaurants, less than 100 seats that make them a living, they are not getting rich and having to be closing for two to three weeks may come close to putting them out of business.  Yet the big businesses seem to get exemptions from the government.
    Go buy a gift cert from them, when this is over go use it . It will help tide them over

• Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    brier-49 said:
    Go buy a gift cert from them, when this is over go use it . It will help tide them over

While this is a great idea and I’d love to do this, I’m still worried about coming down off the mountain and going into town.  I’ve got the cash sitting in a safe and the idea of a gift card is great.  Maybe I’ll thro on the gloves and make a dash into town!
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    us55840 said:
    brier-49 said:

While this is a great idea and I’d love to do this, I’m still worried about coming down off the mountain and going into town.  I’ve got the cash sitting in a safe and the idea of a gift card is great.  Maybe I’ll thro on the gloves and make a dash into town!
      Call them on the phone, give a CC over the phone and have them mail the gift card.
     ;) 
     I don't know how long this virus can survive on an inanimate object, but couldn't that increase the risk of contracting the virus?
     One or three restaurant employees will/might handle the gift card. Then there are the unknown numbers of postal workers handling the envelope. Could also be I'm lookin' at this all wrong though. 
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow the end of the world Waffle House is closed
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    There's well over a hundred cars at any given time parked in front of the huge new Amazon distribution center they built in OKC. The building is huge though...
    Respectfully,
    Huge is an understatement! This building is 2,500,000 square feet. That's 2 million, 500 hundred thousand square feet! The maximum employment is 1,500 people. Do the simple math and we come up with 1,660+ square feet per person. More simple math and we get a square which is a pinch over 40 feet per side per person. And that's if we have all employees present at the same time. This distribution center works 3 shifts, 24 hours a day so you could really figure on 500 employees for the same space.
    Amazon Reportedly Building Multistory Distribution Centers All Over The Country
    Compare this to a small local bar or restaurant:
    Image result for crowded family restaurants
    Atlantas Best Family-Friendly Restaurants Superica AtlantaRestaurant KidRestaurantAtlanta AtlantaTravel FamilyTravelAtlanta FamilyTravel

Best.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    Great place to work until they can reopen the diner.  A lot of small businesses will not survive this if they are marginal. 
  • Options
    dok2udok2u Member Posts: 100
    Doing business with Amazon is the same as writing a check to the DNC.  As gun owners, do you really think that's a good idea?