In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Capitalist or Not?!

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2020 in General Discussion
Personally if Uncle Sam goes in again and bails out corporations than WTH, how can you say we get to pay our CEO whatever we want and than run to Mommy for help.
If they take the cash then the damn O's need to turn over their assets too.
People get to fail business need to be allowed to go under too, their has to be consequences.
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited March 2020
    Capitalist in name only. Everyone has their hands out. I have sympathy for the airlines, only because the industry is heavily regulated by the federal government and has been hammered hard by government imposed travel bans which essentially closed down the airlines. 
  • Options
    Fair enough but contingencies should be accounted for and hard to have too much sympathy for a company where the top brass is raking in tens of millions a year, like I said though if you want hand outs than be prepared to have Uncle Sam dictate what you can pay.
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Bottom line on this one:  Absent HUGE government intervention/bail-out in this COVID-19 scenario, the national (and likely global) economy WILL slide into recession, if not depression. The second and third order effects of such would be dramatic for nearly everyone, and would include far more deaths than the virus itself.  As a small example, the 2008 financial crisis is estimated to have contributed to 500,000 additional deaths JUST from cancer, as a result of people losing healthcare coverage or the financial means to pay for treatment. I don't like seeing our tax dollars flow out the door either, but sometimes you have to invest in the economy to save it.
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    mogley98 said:
    Fair enough but contingencies should be accounted for and hard to have too much sympathy for a company where the top brass is raking in tens of millions a year, like I said though if you want hand outs than be prepared to have Uncle Sam dictate what you can pay.
    I tend to agree there. If a company is asking for a bail-out, they better first have tightened the belt all they can, and that includes suspending or dramatically reducing the bloated salaries of top execs.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    This will make the auto bailout look like an ant on an 8 lane freeway
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    If I spent time worrying about how much money someone else made/had or how much wealth, property, number of cars or even the number of guns someone other than myself had.........I would consider myself the perfect Sanders/Clinton DEMOCRAT.   
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭
    Some people say it is O.K. to sell 9mm for what the market will bear at greatly inflated prices. Some of the same people say a CEOs' salary is out of line when they are getting paid what that market will bear. I guess capitalism confuses everyone, me included. Bob
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Perhaps a missed point, to be more clear you can't beg for Government hand outs and defend free markets at the same time IMHO.
    And pay the CEO any amount you want but don't ask the tax payers to rescue you when the going gets tough.
    As far as "saving" the economy I would prefer to see people out paving the highways as opposed to mailing checks to everyone.
    My .02

Speaking of free markets I looked again Silver is a great price but the spread on spot is like 2.50 up not for me that makes the cost more like 14.50 and ounce. I'll wait and trade 9mm, tuna or toilet paper for Silver :)

• Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    mogley98 said:

Speaking of free markets I looked again Silver is a great price but the spread on spot is like 2.50 up not for me that makes the cost more like 14.50 and ounce. I'll wait and trade 9mm, tuna or toilet paper for Silver :)

You can't find silver for less than 8 dollars an ounce markup plus shipping and that is for any quantity from 1 to 1000 ounces.
           The market on paper trades is too low and many say phony manipulations to keep the dollar from collapsing while they
           bail out every business and corporation effected by Wuhan virus to save the system. They predict silver at 7.00 dollars and
         gold at 900.00 before it's all over with.
                                                          serf

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,351 ******
    Perhaps the CEO's could help their own companies by donating their own money back in to stay afloat. 

Small business owners do this on a day to day basis!
  • Options
    serf said:
    mogley98 said:

You can't find silver for less than 8 dollars an ounce markup plus shipping and that is for any quantity from 1 to 1000 ounces.
           The market on paper trades is too low and many say phony manipulations to keep the dollar from collapsing while they
           bail out every business and corporation effected by Wuhan virus to save the system. They predict silver at 7.00 dollars and
         gold at 900.00 before it's all over with.
                                                          serf

Unless I'm mistaken JM Bullion has silver any order over 299 free shipping at about 2.50 over spot, 14-15 bucks an ounce, I'm no math wiz but I think that is far below 8 bucks over spot?
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
     That's great didn't see that but that is what you use to pay 2-3 dollars over spot for a Silver eagle that is legal tender last year.There out of stock, period until further notice..
                                                                   serf