In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

California is insane

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

The city of Fresno, California, declared a coronavirus state of emergency that allows gun, alcohol, and certain gasoline sales to be banned by the city.

Fox 26 reported the issuance of the order and noted that it gives the city “broad powers” to:

1. Suspend the sale of firearms and ammo.
  2. Suspend the sale of alcohol.
  3. Order a general curfew.
  4. Order the closing of all taverns.
  5. Order a price or rate freeze on consumer goods and on hotels if lodging is limited.
  6. Order a halt to gasoline sales, except as fuel pumped into vehicles’ gasoline tanks.
  7. Order the closing of any business where crowds “tend to gather,” including theaters, amusement areas, gyms, stadiums, etc.

The Frenso website explains that the emergency declaration allows the prohibition on certain sales–i.e., guns, alcohol, etc.–to be handled by the issuance of separate, subsequent orders. The site says the city may make the subsequent orders “in the interest of public safety and welfare,” and one of those orders would result in “the discontinuance of selling, distributing, dispensing, or giving away of firearms, ammunition or explosive of any character whatsoever.”

On March 16, 2020, Breitbart News reported that New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell (D) signed a coronavirus emergency order allowing her to ban the sale and transportation of firearms.

On March 14, 2020, Breitbart News reported that Champaign, Illinois, Mayor Deborah Frank Feinen (D) issued an emergency coronavirus order that gives her the power to halt ammunition and firearm sales in the city.

Comments

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, people have been complaining the government isn't doing enough.   Sometimes people get what they want.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Well if the "Government," does not control the free range/attitude of "business as normal," here in the good ol' USA. We are going to look like Italy, except on a much larger scale in about 3 weeks. (Your View May differ.)

Personally, I have preexisting conditions. I do not look forward to what is about to happen here.

I do however, take exception to banning firearm and ammunition sales. Why prevent people from protecting themselves and their property?

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    Gubernment at its best.  Keep it up and the people will revolt.  Are they going to ban dump trucks, you know for running over pedestrians or hauling the loot?  A sock with rock is a lethal weapon. Broken beer bottle?
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    the country is where I need to be 
  • Options
    LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    BPOST..Why do we care about Kommiefornia neighbor!...good too see you post..I ask about you earlier...Randy 
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭
    Nancy Pelosi's nephew just put us on house arrest until the 15th of April. Catch me if you can!  EZ- life member NRA and VFW 
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    LOKO383 said:
    BPOST..Why do we care about Kommiefornia neighbor!...good too see you post..I ask about you earlier...Randy 

What starts in California usually migrates East jut like the illegals they allow in by the millions.  Are you still in Gallia County?
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

I’m from Fresno and for years it was run conservatively. They will be getting a new Mayor soon. The Chief of Police Jerry Dyer who is Republican will soon be taking over.

• Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    The liberals are mad because all that ammo and firearms are being sold in their state. The rest of the stuff other than no large groups is a cover ploy to look good. Gosh no molotov cocktails either!
                                   serf

• Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    unfortunately most all cities will need some clamp down because of the large percentage of STOOPID people
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭
    That series of orders would fit nicely into the Nazi play-book in the late 1930s. Only difference is the new Ayrian race is politicians.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭

Perfectly understandable and acceptable by DEMOCRATs and their voters. If DEMOCRATs want to accept restriction and loss of freedom in their jurisdictions its OK by me.

But, the difference between all opposing and DEMOCRATs is DEMOCRATS insist on forcing their ideology on the rest of us....whether we want it or not.. 

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭

Well if the "Government," does not control the free range/attitude of "business as normal," here in the good ol' USA. We are going to look like Italy, except on a much larger scale in about 3 weeks. (Your View May differ.)

Personally, I have preexisting conditions. I do not look forward to what is about to happen here.

I do however, take exception to banning firearm and ammunition sales. Why prevent people from protecting themselves and their property?

I have a significantly compromised immune system, Ken, but I strongly believe the solution to this problem is a responsible citizenry, not an oppressive government.  People should not go to crowded venues such as sporting events or concerts, and I reluctantly agree that the individual states should have the power to restrict these, as well as the normal operation of restaurants and, (gulp) bars.  We need to rely on the common sense and responsible choice of individuals and individual businesses, however to maintain a safe working environment while still keeping as much production and economic activity going as is responsible possible.  The problem with government intrusion into this is that it is not a one size fits all problem, and there is not a one size fits all solution.
    Frankly, New York is a problem and now New Orleans is becoming a problem as well as a number of other hot spots around the nation.  The problem here is not there was not enough government intrusion, it was that individuals behaved irresponsibly in face of this virus.  The sad part about this is that it seems we are not permitted to point out the individual irresponsibility, rather we are conditioned to point out the failings of government.

It has been over a month (IIRC) since the horrible death toll in the nursing home in Kirkland, WA.  Just this past week we heard of a similar situation in an nursing home in New Jersey.  Someone screwed the pooch.  It may not necessarily have been the staff, but someone allowed themselves to become infected and brought it into a place full of the most susceptible people possible.

At this point we do not know if this virus is worse than the annual flu, though it appears it has characteristics that make it particularly deadly to certain segments of our population.  Regardless of what any of the hand-wringers say, we need to now, tomorrow and into the future always balance the current problem with the very real positives and negatives associated with our actions.

Until all of us adjust our daily patterns to respect (not fear) this virus, there will be a potential for its resurgence until we achieve a herd immunity as has been developed for most.  We all know of how the small pox viruses decimated populations that had not been previously exposed.  The same will happen with this virus eventually, but it will only happen if we develop a species wide immunological defense.  Short term isolation helps our system take care of the sick, but long term isolation will be detrimental to our ability to fight this over the long haul. 

We had chicken-pox and measles parties when I was a youngster.  While this approach does not seem to be something we should consider now for COVID-19, a systemic approach to universal immunization that includes but does not depend solely on vaccination may be in the cards at some point.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele