In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Private Sales

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭✭
Is it legal to buy or sale a long gun,person to person in a state the is not your residence? I know pistols need to go through a FFL dealer but I want to buy an old A-5 in the next state and don't need any problems from the feds. 

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,735 ******
    edited March 2020
    Who’s going to know, besides you and him?
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited March 2020
    No. Private party long gun transfers to out of state residents must go through dealers.

[But as Jim said, no one will know unless one of you talks.]
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,461 ***** Forums Admin
    What Mark and Jim said. 
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,776 ✭✭✭✭
      Don't ask, don't tell especially on a Browning Belgium A-5. IMO
    I am not a lawyer and only pretend to be on television. My comments are my own and will accept no responsibility on any others action. Limited time only so act now!
  • Options
    carrie2carrie2 Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭
    Check your state laws!

Kentucky born and raised!
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Possibility, some joining states may allow selling long guns person to person. As has been said if you think you could have a guilty conscience check you local laws.
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭
    Check you local laws or pay the fee to transfer. Lots of dealers listed on the auction side to help you out.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭

Don't ask, don't tell.

It is not anyones business, except the parties involved.

My "Private," Firearms are much coveted. (I believe there are many other here, that agree. )

Read and then re-read the 2nd Amendment.

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭
    montana is still a private sale state,  but it is prohibited to conduct a sale to Out of Stater without going thru a transfer.
    .  either buy or sell
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, whatever your plan was you just blew it out of the water by announcing what you want to do on open forum that is more than likely monitored by some alphabet agency.  Good luck!  
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    What Mark said, and certainly no one here would recommend anything illegal.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, whatever your plan was you just blew it out of the water by announcing what you want to do on open forum that is more than likely monitored by some alphabet agency.  Good luck!  

Man, I really, really hope they have something better to do than skulk here.  Those of us who do it regularly are a pretty pathetic lot. 
  • Options
    He Dog said:

Man, I really, really hope they have something better to do than skulk here.  Those of us who do it regularly are a pretty pathetic lot. 
      No kidding, if they are tracking the "group" here they are finding out possum is the preferred meat, next to raw fish and nobody likes Glocks, single malt, Pabst Blue, stained underwear is the norm, and everybody has an ache or six.
  • Options
    He Dog said:

No kidding, if they are tracking the "group" here they are finding out possum is the preferred meat, next to raw fish and nobody likes Glocks, single malt, Pabst Blue, stained underwear is the norm, and everybody has an ache or six.
    Now wait just a minute!  I take great exception to your statement!  I like Glocks!
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    He Dog said:

Now wait just a minute!  I take great exception to your statement!  I like Glocks!
    And single malt is great!
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭
    He Dog said:

theres allway one in every crowd........
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Pabst is the bomb.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭✭
    You cant out of one side of your mouth promote dodging the law,  and out the other side say how the laws protect you.  Whats wrong with following the law in this case unless you have something to hide.
  • Options
    hillbille said:
    He Dog said:

theres allway one in every crowd........
     :D 
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Folks- if you don't know, then answering does not help the man that posted the question.  And state law has nothing to do with this.  FEDERAL law requires that other than by inheritance, you may not acquire a firearm in a state OTHER than your state of residence EXCEPT through a licensed dealer.  As a resident of Virginia, I cannot legally drive over into WV, and buy a shotgun directly from a private citizen.  I cannot legally acquire a handgun EVEN from a dealer in another state- it must come to a dealer in my home state.  US Code, Title 18, Section 922.

This does not apply to C&R firearms acquired by a C&R FFL holder.  Members of the military may have more than one place of residence- my home of record in VA, my permanent duty station in GA are both my resident state for buying a gun.  

Yes, you can do a lot of crap that violates the law- the question was can he do this LEGALLY.  This post is going to make somebody here all huffy- so go right ahead and tell me how wrong I am.  I am sure you are doing to be standing there with the original poster in court, willing to pay his fines, serve his jail time, and work out something on that felony conviction.  
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    chme said:
    Folks- if you don't know, then answering does not help the man that posted the question.  And state law has nothing to do with this.  FEDERAL law requires that other than by inheritance, you may not acquire a firearm in a state OTHER than your state of residence EXCEPT through a licensed dealer.  As a resident of Virginia, I cannot legally drive over into WV, and buy a shotgun directly from a private citizen.  I cannot legally acquire a handgun EVEN from a dealer in another state- it must come to a dealer in my home state.  US Code, Title 18, Section 922.

This does not apply to C&R firearms acquired by a C&R FFL holder.  Members of the military may have more than one place of residence- my home of record in VA, my permanent duty station in GA are both my resident state for buying a gun.  

Yes, you can do a lot of crap that violates the law- the question was can he do this LEGALLY.  This post is going to make somebody here all huffy- so go right ahead and tell me how wrong I am.  I am sure you are doing to be standing there with the original poster in court, willing to pay his fines, serve his jail time, and work out something on that felony conviction.  
    Been stuck in the house too long??
  • Options
      I ADMIT it right here. I cut out a stamp off an uncancelled envelope that somehow got to me and I glued it on my utility bill and MAILED it.!  I don't know why but I did.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
      I ADMIT it right here. I cut out a stamp off an uncancelled envelope that somehow got to me and I glued it on my utility bill and MAILED it.!  I don't know why but I did.
    And I'm sure you have tore off at least 1 mattress tag too......
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,735 ******
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    The original post asked if it was legal.  Chme’s post answered that correctly.  Pretty much everyone else’s posts didn’t - they advocated that if one doesn’t get caught, it must be legal, which is incorrect and didn't answer the OP’s question.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    I only have 3 months and 4 days left for legal private sales...sign...Ralphie is a putz