In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

USS Roosevelt Aircraft Carrier Infected With Wuhan Virus

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2020 in General Discussion
Heading for Guam to off load the sick.
                           serf

Officials also said that the Navy is working to identify others on the ship who could possibly be infected with COVID-19, with Adm. John Aquilino, commander of the Pacific Fleet, saying that they're working "towards the goal of minimizing any additional transmission."

The ship docked in Da Nang, Vietnam, two weeks ago, but acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly noted that the sailors could have contracted COVID-19 from another source, as members of a flight crew had also visited the aircraft carrier.

Comments

• Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    serf said:
    The ship docked in Da Nang, Vietnam, two weeks ago, but acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly noted that the sailors could have contracted COVID-19 from another source, as members of a flight crew had also visited the aircraft carrier.
    Hmmm....  Military on liberty in Da Nang.  If that’s not a recipe for disease, then nothing is...
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    surprised that the military has not been more affected...............close quarters and such
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭

Stopping in Da Nang a couple weeks ago, was just STUPID, given the current situation. WTH were they thinking?

Maybe just me.

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

I was onboard the USS Carl Vinson in 2003 when SARS came out. We did 100 or so consecutive days at sea as a result before pulling into Bahrain.

We had not one case of SARS.

Those guys are gonna wear that boat out before it returns stateside.

I would not be surprised if they add 9-10 months to the day the last case was defeated.

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭
    And yet we have 2 more cruise ships headed to Miami with known sick aboard..............STUPID !!

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭
    And now the Chinese know just how to get maximum bang for their germ warfare buck.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,509 ✭✭✭✭
    Now we know why they are called Carriers, and why they are designated CV.

On a serious note, I hope that the totality of the results of this case study are made public.  It will be very instructive to see what happens to a large, diverse, yet basically healthy younger segment of society when faced with this virus.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele