In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 LR ammunition

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
I was straightening some things up and ran across a case of Federal .22 HP I had forgot about.   Ten 525 round bricks.  Cool

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,735 ******
    That’s a start. :)
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭✭
    Will it be one big giveaway or ten smaller giveaways? Put me in! 😁  Bob
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Too bad it wasn't hornet ammo...
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭
    Lets hope and pray you'll be around to enjoy shooting them    :)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    If it was CCI Standard Velocity, I'd say put my name in for the giveaway. :)    
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    SCOUT5 said:
    I was straightening some things up and ran across a case of Federal .22 HP I had forgot about.   Ten 525 round bricks.  Cool

I was moving stuff from my old shop to the new shop and found an old dust covered wooden crate of Russian "Junior" 22lr...(5000 rds) That is the absolute worst 22 ammo in the world!...
    Great find scout!
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    It is a start.  I have more, just forgot about this case.   I do give a lot of ammo away.  I probably give away more .22 ammo then I shoot.  But I give it to kids and young folks getting started,  I'm not going to give it a bunch of old crotchety  ammo hoarders like you guys.  >:)
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭
      we may be old and crotchety, but many of us are in our second childhoods........
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭✭
    hillbille said:
      we may be old and crotchety, but many of us are in our second childhoods........

Second childhood - is that where you get cranky if you don't get your afternoon nap? If so then yep I resemble that remark. 😁 Bob
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited March 2020
    Grunt2 said:
    I was moving stuff from my old shop to the new shop and found an old dust covered wooden crate of Russian "Junior" 22lr...(5000 rds) That is the absolute worst 22 ammo in the world!...
    I remember that ammo: steel cased with a lead bullet coated in some sort of grease which left you hands especially slippery.  If I recall it came packaged in a crate containing heavy paper sleeves (bricks), each sleeve holding individual cardboard boxes of 50 rounds each. I'm thinking the 50 round boxes were green. The powder smoke was especially obnoxious and the steel cases would destroy the extractor virtually any US made .22 rifle or pistol. Maybe not the absolute worst .22 ammo, but the worst I've encountered. 

By now there is a whole new generation of ammo buyers who have never heard of the stuff. 
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,655 ✭✭✭✭
     well that"s a great find unless you just put it there this  morning  (   since  we have no green font  LOL )

I have enough 22 LR to last at least another generation after the last great 22 shortage . I switched plans ..
      I have given away a lot  since then . when it started the big ammo  shortage  I had less then 50 rounds of 22 lr and really most every caliber of gun I owned I had less than a box for each one . 
    I hated having money tied up in ammo when I could buy another gun to have the money tied up in   :o
     ammo was always so easy to get  up to the big scare .. 
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    That's a bit better than the wrinkly-washed $20.00 bill we all come across in a jeans pocket once in a while... :)

As for the Russian ammo, I can imagine it was probably loaded with gulag labor...the smell from firing is from the tears and despair of those who suffer under Comrade Bernie's dream system...

Stay safe.   
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    Grunt2 said:
    I remember that ammo: steel cased with a lead bullet coated in some sort of grease which left you hands especially slippery.  If I recall it came packaged in a crate containing heavy paper sleeves (bricks), each sleeve holding individual cardboard boxes of 50 rounds each. I'm thinking the 50 round boxes were green. The powder smoke was especially obnoxious and the steel cases would destroy the extractor virtually any US made .22 rifle or pistol. Maybe not the absolute worst .22 ammo, but the worst I've encountered. 

By now there is a whole new generation of ammo buyers who have never heard of the stuff. 

That's the stuff! Out of a 22lr rifle it goes...bang, pop, fiz, boom, (You get the picture)...some kind of silicone for lube...The granddaughters will clean me out with their 22lr handguns...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I found 10 bricks of aguila under the guest bedrooms bed. Along with 2 cases of 20 gauge shotgun shells and three cases of .410
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭
    I tripped over a 30cal ammo can in the storage area a couple days back and discovered it was full of 22 ammo.  It's kind of elderly-- from the old days of target shooting(CMP).  Mid-1970's production IIRC.
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭✭
    I will agree about the Russian .22 ammo! I bought a brick of it many years ago for $10, thinking it was a bargain. Worst $10 I ever spent. Seems like it had a turkey on the label, and that was truth in advertising. Finally got through a couple of boxes while plinking at the river that borders our place. Threw the rest of it in the river. 
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭
    I was moving snow this winter and the tractor bucket caught on a  concrete slab and peeled it up. It was a Y2K bunker I forgot about and the 10x10 room was filled to the top with loose 22 ammo. I sealed it back up and forgot about it again.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I too bought the commie crap.  
    I remember my Dad asking  "WTH ya get this s***"
    Bay disposal here
  • Options
    I found 10 bricks of aguila under the guest bedrooms bed. Along with 2 cases of 20 gauge shotgun shells and three cases of .410
    Your guest leave ammo?
  • Options
    JasonV said:
    I was moving snow this winter and the tractor bucket caught on a  concrete slab and peeled it up. It was a Y2K bunker I forgot about and the 10x10 room was filled to the top with loose 22 ammo. I sealed it back up and forgot about it again.
    I don't know if you'll win, but you are ahead.