In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cleaning Metal Siding

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭
Over the last few years my shop siding has developed a light green slime (for last of a proper word) on the lower portion in a few areas.  What should I use to clean it off and what the heck is it?
Thanks guys,
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    SammySammy Member Posts: 28
    Your shop must be in the shade.  Had that with the one side of my house.  Used dish washing soap and brush and pressure washer.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds almost like an algae.  Does your irrigation system get that portion of the building wet?
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭✭
    Black or grey is usually mold/mildew. Green can be algae or moss. I usually use whatever siding wash is on sale at Home Depot or Menards. There is a product called "wet it and forget it" that works well but is expensive. The other brands ( cheaper) require rinsing off. For the difference in price I'll rinse. Bob
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭✭

Mold / mildew / green snot ... mix 1 gallon bleach with one cup dawn detergent and 1 gallon of water in a hand pump sprayer . Spray liberally till building is soaked . Let it soak 20 to 30 minutes and then spray it off , with a small pressure washer if you have one . If not I have used just my garden hose . Been using this mix for several years and almost never have to use a brush to scrub

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Purple Power..buy it at walmart. Dilute to suit
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    Another vote for the Purple Power.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭
    Purple Power..buy it at walmart. Dilute to suit
      just used this yesterday with my pressure washer to do vinyl siding, had two sides of the house with large patchy algea?,  came off pretty easy with pressure washer.......
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭✭
    Wet & Forget worked for me.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    toad67 said:
    Yep, I agree. It's best stuff I've used on vinyl siding. I would guess it would be the same on metal siding.

The thing is, if the green algae, mildew or whatever has been there for a long time it's probably going to take some brushing to get it off the first time no matter what kind you use. If it's just a thin layer this stuff will take it off just by spraying it on and then rinsing it off and it keeps it from coming back for a long time. I spray it on every 2 years and our siding stays looking like new.