In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ventilators much needed

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
From a post by Trump.........As usual with “this” General Motors, things just never seem to work out. They said they were going to give us 40,000 much needed Ventilators, “very quickly”. Now they are saying it will only be 6000, in late April, and they want top dollar. Always a mess with Mary B.

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Just heard GM story on TV... seems Trump has jumped the gun... GM is going to make the ventilators and has a contract with ventec. 1000 union folks from GM will be working as volunteers getting them made. Problem is GM and ventec has no contract with the federal govt.
  • Options
    Trump making statement later today about purchasing ventilators from other companies.
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    gm is to busy making Buicks in china after the last big bailout fiasco
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    In over 100 years, GM hasn't learned how to make a reliable car.  Thanks, but no thanks, I'll take my chances squeezing my own Bag Valve Mask.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭✭
    Just read an article that GM and Ventec will be producing ventilators in Kokamo and will be producing them at cost. Cost may be a lot because of the union workers but I don't think the workers would donate any of their salary. Ventilators will come out in April. When exactly it didn't say but April is only 4 days away. Hopefully they will get up to their 10,000/month production forecast quickly. Bob
  • Options
    They just said the same thing on the stock market channel
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭

I hope all this is true as to the April delivery.

With my preexisting medical conditions, I would be one of the critical cases in the ICU. I would need a ventilator, or probably die. Slowly suffocating, is one of my worst nightmares.

Any good news about this situation, brings a ray of hope.

• Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    Did a little research on ventilators the other day.  Found an article on a MIT student winning an award for about, IIRC, $1000 in early 2019 for a design for an inexpensive, easily produced ventilator.  Article mentioned a price of $4K for it compared to average price of $15K.  Student was either Pakistani or of Pakistani descent.  He said he was going to see if the Pakistani government was interested due to the shortage there.  Remember this months before the current virus pandemic.

Just saw that our government approved the use of modified vents from surgical and recovery rooms because elective surgeries are banned.  Found it very interesting that CPAPS were also approved.   Why not CPAPS?  They're a lot cheaper if nothing fancier is needed.  They don't have all of the bells and whistles like alarms when the patient stop breathing and digital recording, etc.  But they do pump air and can be adjusted for the volume needed.  IMHO, CPAPs could become a big part of what is stockpiled in the future for emergencies.  Additionally why not collect up, clean and package the excess fancy ventilators for our strategic stockpile when this is all over?
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    Don't know what this big flap between POTUS and GM is all about.   Appears like GM's price may be way higher that the pre-pandemic price.   Plus, there are likely a handful of US manufacturers to ensure competitive prices assuming they can don't have supply line issues.   
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    I would hope that when this is calmed down and we are more or less back to normal that the Fed Govt looks at a program to keep the National Stockpile stocked with what is needed.  
    Stop blaming past administrations and address for the future.  I am pretty sure this is not going to be the last viral disease that rears its head at the world.
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭
    My worry is that we will "give" a shipload of them to some country that wouldn't pee on us if we were on fire. (Which is most of the countries around the world) I just don't want us to give away even one piece of equipment that will save a US citizen.