In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Buying a truck

pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭✭

My aunt died about 2 months ago . Each of us nieces and nephews were given a bequest of $10,000.00 in her will . Plans are to use it to buy a new to me truck of 10 to 15k . Wondering whether to wait and watch to see if the market gets lower or go ahead and buy now . Thoughts please . Personally I think that there will be a big downturn in the future.

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 

Comments

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    If you can get by without one wait. Vehicles get cheap when folks are out of work. You might be able to snatch a bargain.
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    WAIT Bargains are on the way I think. I also think there are gonna be a lot of slightly used guns for sale in the next year or so.
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    I'd lay aside enough to cover the inheritance tax before spending any of it. 
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭✭
    all our dealer ships are closed the dmv is iffy
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,776 ✭✭✭✭
      DMV is closed here so you can get any plates, transfer ect. Wait a couple months and I think they will be out there at a deal like everything else. No taxes on 10k in this state.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Zero % interest means there will be lots of trades in the next month or so....lots of used inventory.  In the 10-15k range I'd be looking at private party purchases, you'll be able to score a truck that retails 20K for 15K from a private seller.  I'd be shopping craigslist and autotrader.   What kind of truck are you looking for?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    A short wait of 30-60 days will help you get a good deal.  This shut down is hurting dealers and folks can't pay for what they bought.  Shop hard for a 2-3 year old vehicle of your favorite maker.  If you go to the dealer let them run your credit but NEVER talk about paying cash.  Once you get to finance stall until you get a signed sales contract with all fees included, once they sign it is a legal purchase contract.  Then at the last moment pull out your checkbook and write the check.  Dealers do not want to hear cash, they make most of their profit in the finance office.  Do not bring cash, anything over 10K makes more paperwork for them and you.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    There's going to be a ton of repossessed vehicles as we charge into the recession that will make the 2009 collapse look good. 
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I would wait until tax return buying is over.   Of course, like others have posted, this economic down turn from the virus will affect the used car market too.
  • Options
    neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭
    "I'd lay aside enough to cover the inheritance tax before spending any of it."
    Ignore this prior post.  There will be no inheritance tax.  The inheritance or gift tax is on the person giving it up or on the estate level, not on the person receiving it.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭
    for that money you will have to go used, and probubly private party, go ahead and look, just hold out for the one you really want, you may find a deal in the meantime, usually the longer into summer the lower the truck prices come down.....
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭✭

My current vehicle is getting very ragged 1995 f150 with 326,000 miles Will replace with another ford . Most likely a crew cab and 4wd. I have owned current truck for 22 years time for a change .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,463 ***** Forums Admin
    There's a beautiful white Ford crew cab 4x4 down the road in someone's yard with a for sale sign in it. Don't know for sure what year it is, 2007-2012? Sure is purdy, but can't see the price on the sign.