In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Corn Meal Mush...

Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
Back in the day...Breakfast was corn meal mush or oatmeal...(mind you mom was cooking for 10 kids)...The best was the leftover mush that she fried! Still haven't been able to duplicate her results...On weekends we ...maybe...would get eggs and bacon...
What did you grow up on?
Retired LEO
Combat Vet VN
D.A.V Life Member

Comments

• Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    Back in the 30's and 40's, we had biscuits and milk gravey.   If we had visitors, then mom would kill a chicken.
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭
    it was stick to your ribs. Dam kids today wouldnt know what to due with it. :)
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Never ate mush, tried fried, yuck. Now biscuits and gravy, the "sop of life"
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭
    my dad loved it, so mom made it quite a bit, for me once a year now is enough........
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,471 ✭✭✭✭
    I was raised on a farm always had plenty of eggs and  pork. We would get oatmeal may 2 times a year .
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    pinto beans and cornbread.  plenty of fresh garden vegatables in the summer.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭
    Mom often made 2x batch of "mush" for supper so there would be enough left over for fried "mush" next morning. Usually meant to extend a shortage of eggs and/or replacement for more expensive bacon.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭✭

grew up on a farm , Dad raised chickens and hogs . Big time “ hog killing “ in the winter . Always plenty of ham , eggs , and bacon . Mom cooked toast and or biscuits most every morning . Sometimes it was cereal . Never did the mush or oatmeal

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
      Mush, oatmeal, LOTS of fried beans and potatoes which I still love to this day. Sunday was always me go get a couple chickens and ring their necks and have lunch with and the family coming over. I had to pluck also so the breast were always mine. Maybe that's why I still to this day am a breast man.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I fondly remember fried mush for breakfast. We usually put maple syrup on it. Another favorite was calf brains and eggs scrambled up together. I recall with shame succumbing to the advertising for Maypo, a maple-flavored hot wheat cereal. Begged and pleaded incessantly until Mom bought some. She made it, I took one spoonful, and that was that. She ended up throwing it out because it wasn't good to even mix with anything else.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I fondly remember fried mush for breakfast. We usually put maple syrup on it. Another favorite was calf brains and eggs scrambled up together. I recall with shame succumbing to the advertising for Maypo, a maple-flavored hot wheat cereal. Begged and pleaded incessantly until Mom bought some. She made it, I took one spoonful, and that was that. She ended up throwing it out because it wasn't good to even mix with anything else.
    We had both the fried mush and the calf brains. Long time favorites of mine since childhood. Grits, oatmeal and biscuits. As kids we usually got a biscuit on the way out the door to do the morning chores (o-dark thirty) then we had a real sit down breakfast later in the morning.

Another term for corn mush is polenta. I'm sure our resident chef will have a cookbook full of the the Italian variations. Here is a basic version:
    A variation which I use under some meat dishes with sauces:
    Best.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I was going to call it polenta, but that's more than two syllables - and with this crowd...
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I was going to call it polenta, but that's more than two syllables - and with this crowd...

:D>:):)
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Mush, oatmeal, cream of wheat, hoecakes, we ate a lot of it.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember someone making polenta and referring to it as an Italian dish.   Having never eaten mush when they were young they thought it would be something new to me.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭✭
    Mom used to make corn meal mush when I was a kid. The problem was she never paid attention to it while it was cooking and usually burned it. When I got old enough to see over the stove, I would watch it and keep them flipped over. I was amazed how much better they tasted when you didn't have to scrape the black off of them. :o
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,440 ******
    As a young'un, ate for breakfast oatmeal, cream of wheat, malto meal, maypo, corn meal mush, and always had Postum to chase it all down.  Postum was a cereal beverage served hot like coffee. 

Out of all of this gruel I preferred oatmeal the best and if we had any raisons to put in it all the better!   

I had a bit of a hard time with the mush on account of the grittiness of it.   My mom solved my dilemma by topping it with maple syrup!