In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

World wide virus cases

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
The total confirmed cases of this virus world wide has just reach the level of confirmed annual flu cases here in the US.   I know a lot more people have it or have had it than are reported but that is the same for the flu each year, not everyone gets treated or diagnosed.

Of course the numbers diagnosed with this virus may spread well beyond annual flu numbers, but the number of cases world wide at this time is actually quite small.

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,460 ***** Forums Admin
    Yep, but meanwhile let's keep on freakin' out and destroy the whole economy in this country.........
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
     Tell it to the Italians that just loved those Chinese tourist back in January,
      Here is some fake news put out by scientists that fails to blame the Chinese,who is the real cause of deaths in Italy!
         It's all in a neat package too! Wake Up They are Lying by omission.

Finally, the country may not be catching many of the mild cases of COVID-19. Often, as testing expands within a community, more mild cases are found, which lowers the overall death rate, Gordon said. This was the case in South Korea, which had tested more than 295,000 people as of March 18 and had a death rate of about 1%, according to Business Insider.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭✭
    serf said:
      Here is some fake news put out by scientists that fails to blame the Chinese,who is the real cause of deaths in Italy!

Finally, the country may not be catching many of the mild cases of COVID-19. Often, as testing expands within a community, more mild cases are found, which lowers the overall death rate, Gordon said. This was the case in South Korea, which had tested more than 295,000 people as of March 18 and had a death rate of about 1%, according to Business Insider.
    I guess I drew different conclusions from the article you posted. It did mention the virus began in China but I guess it did not mention the delay in warning the world. I don't think that was the purpose/theme of the article. Rather it tried to explain abnormally high fatality rates being reported. I thought the author made a good case for higher average age and overly strict testing criteria missing most of not all of the mild and asymptomatic cases.  If they are at the stage that some have warned about with 40% of the population being infected, then their fatality rate would be quite low. Without quality data, statistics are meaningless. Bob
  • Options
    BobJudy said:
    serf said:

I guess I drew different conclusions from the article you posted. It did mention the virus began in China but I guess it did not mention the delay in warning the world. I don't think that was the purpose/theme of the article. Rather it tried to explain abnormally high fatality rates being reported. I thought the author made a good case for higher average age and overly strict testing criteria missing most of not all of the mild and asymptomatic cases.  If they are at the stage that some have warned about with 40% of the population being infected, then their fatality rate would be quite low. Without quality data, statistics are meaningless. Bob
             Your conclusions favor main stream rhetoric, The first cause was massive crowds of Chinese tourist! Period! All other explanations are after the massive influx of the contagion that cause it.  Most Governments are failures fighting this and we need to clean house after this Pandemic, but most sheep just follow their herder's to oblivion and don't care where they lead them. I hope that changes soon.
                                                                 serf

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-01/22/c_138725008.htm

ROME, Jan. 21 (Xinhua) -- The flows of Chinese travelers to Italy were on the rise, showed data unveiled during opening celebrations for China-Italy year of culture and tourism on Tuesday.

The provisional trend of airport arrivals from China in the first 11 months of 2019 grew by 16 percent on an annual basis, according to a short report by the Italian Tourism Observatory.

All figures were based on estimates provided by Italy's National Tourist Board (ENIT) and on data by the National Institute of Statistics (ISTAT).

According to the observatory, Chinese visitors to the country registered 5.3 million overnight stays in 2018, an increase of 5.2 percent compared with the previous year.

The increase was "considerably higher than the growth (2.8 percent) generated by the totality of foreign tourists," it noted.

Chinese tourists' spending in Italy also grew considerably, exceeding 650 million euros (721 million U.S. dollars), an increase of 40.8 percent year-on-year.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Once again you missed my point. I thought it was obvious that the virus was brought to Italy by travellers to and from China. No argument there. The problem was that the virus was probably in Italy before the Chinese let anyone know of the problem. My point was the death rate is probably skewed due to not knowing when it arrived in Italy and how many have been infected. With the exception of the Chinese I placed no blame on anyone else. That was not the purpose of the article you posted or my comment about it. To touch on that subject I would say the most culpable in this pandemic are the Chinese government and WHO. One for not letting the world know and the other telling us even into February that it wasn't going to be a big problem. Most of the uninformed think of WHO as a medical organization and not the political puppet that it really is. That gave their comments unwarranted credence. Bob
  • Options
    BobJudy said:
    Once again you missed my point. I thought it was obvious that the virus was brought to Italy by travellers to and from China. No argument there. The problem was that the virus was probably in Italy before the Chinese let anyone know of the problem. My point was the death rate is probably skewed due to not knowing when it arrived in Italy and how many have been infected. With the exception of the Chinese I placed no blame on anyone else. That was not the purpose of the article you posted or my comment about it. To touch on that subject I would say the most culpable in this pandemic are the Chinese government and WHO. One for not letting the world know and the other telling us even into February that it wasn't going to be a big problem. Most of the uninformed think of WHO as a medical organization and not the political puppet that it really is. That gave their comments unwarranted credence. Bob
        Yep The New Silk Road,Red China boasted about bringing prosperity to Europe kind'a fell apart up there in Northern Italy.
          Those Communist need to be banished from being a trade partner in the future & Asians in general need to stop wildlife and exotic animal trading/eating along with blood products too in my humble opinion.
        Also all Bio-Labs need to have a new organization regulating authority that can control research and ban militaries from doing any new tests for warfare purposes. Not W.H.O. they are corrupted. But I doubt the United Nations is going to be able to admit it was implicated in this pandemic. This is a far bigger problem then 5G and who controls the back doors in the firm software for now too.

serf

• Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    yepper ...the new SILK SHROUD for italy....and free