In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

For all you dog experts out there...

WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
Our Dutch Shepherd’s nose is no longer wet and moist.  It’s dry and appears to be cracking a bit.  We’ve been applying Vaseline to it a couple of times per day but that hasn’t helped.  We’re thinking that (hopefully) it’s only because spring is in the air and perhaps he’s reacting to it.  Any dog experts out there?
”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- GEORGE ORWELL -

Comments

• Options
    m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭✭
    Not an expert by any means,  but if the coat is flaky or itchy it could be a simple allery.  I had one once that got a dry nose when I gave her a new feeding dish, it was plastic and caused an allergy.  Could also be a seasonal condition caused by change in humidity,  have you recently put it outdoors more?
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

thanks folks!

He’s got 3 food / water stations in the house, on the porch and in the garage. He pretty much grazes whenever hungry and slobbers water whenever thirsty.

the dryness came on recently. I’m hoping that it’s spring / allergy (?) related and not a health issue.

No food change - same food for the last 3 years

his coat is the same as always - not newly dry etc...

The only thing new is that his nose is running a bit (I know - seems counter - a dry but running nose).

as I said - I’m hoping that it’s springtime related and not a health issue.

”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -