In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What are unions doing to help out?

asopasop Member Posts: 8,914 ✭✭✭✭
Not  a big fan and don't mean anything derogatory, just curious?

Comments

• Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

Teamster members are delivering food and supplies. Union rail workers are still hauling freight every day. Longshoremen are still at work unloading trains and ships. Members of Police and Firefighter unions haven't left you completely without protection.

Should they all be doing more for you??

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    UPS teamsters still going strong.
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
    IBEW members are still keeping the power on
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    I’m seeing a lot off what the union members are doing.  there are probably a boatload of non members doing similarly heroic acts as well.  But I believe that the OP was asking what the unions are actually doing for their members.
    personally, I think that the unions were more needed early in the first half of the 20th century.  Workers were being abused and taken advantage of.  Collective bargaining has put an end to that.
    I've never been union nor do I have a dog in this fight, but I’m also interested in what being a member TODAY gets you.

”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,687 ******
    Labor union's sole purpose is to sign up more members.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭
    The workers make me proud.  The unions are parasites 
  • Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭

The workers are the union. It's called collective bargaining, look it up.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

I was in a Union for 42 years, not by choice, Illinois is a not a right to work state, that statement in it’s self should tell you something. Over my 42 years in the union two of the union presidents were convicted of racketeering. The order of business for unions these days is, take care of the upper union officials first, politics second and then the works. I could elaborate more on what I witnessed but that would take forever and a day. Bottom line, if you don’t believe there is organized crime still in the unions, I know your still writing letters to Santa Claus.

• Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

I think tsavo is meaning that he’s proud of the people in the unions that work for a living, not so much the ones that take a nice percentage and return reductions on promises. I.E. Teamster retirement reductions and tax payer bailout - look it up!

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

The workers at Amazon in NY are going on strike Monday - believing that the facility is not kept clean and folks want to flee NY before it gets quarantined

Nurses and techs and staff at several hospitals have held walk out and demonstrated in front of the hospital and are threatening to strike.

It's largely a PPE issue though the union bosses are now suggesting their members receive hazardous duty pay and bonuses.

I understand the context and history of unions - unions have facilitated or demanded great beneficial changes.

But the union coin has two distinct sides.

Many modern unions are only concerned with bringing in more money for themselves rather than helping the rank and file.

And first responder unions avoid many of the criminal pitfalls - they are a horse of a different color.

Mike

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    BikerBob said:

I think tsavo is meaning that he’s proud of the people in the unions that work for a living, not so much the ones that take a nice percentage and return reductions on promises. I.E. Teamster retirement reductions and tax payer bailout - look it up!

lkannes said:

The workers are the union. It's called collective bargaining, look

Thank you, Bob!  Yes.  I’m proud of the workers. Not the unions.  Not going to start a pissing match.  I thank grocery stockers, mailmen, local restauranteurs doing take out every day!  But hate to see the huge buildings in dc filled with people who produce nothing but only skim of the paycheck of all these responsible, brave workers.  Kannes don’t talk down. Promise I know more about it. Xo

• Options
    dok2udok2u Member Posts: 100
    Generally the union big shots are colluding with their Democrap masters again about how they can screw the rest of us next! 
  • Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    Was a union member 40 years. Never on strike, no one indicted, only guys making lots of money worked 12 hr. days, 7day weeks and they didn't drive Caddys either. Dues low. Not all unions run by crooks.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    "And first responder unions avoid many of the criminal pitfalls - they are a horse of a different color."
    I beg to differ,  we never got a raise without a "contribution"  AKA bribe.  We didn't make the corrupt game but learned how to play it.  Paybacks and bribes.  Political insiders walk away with pensions almost as much as the Governors yearly salary of $175,000
    But NJ IS the poster child of politicrap corruption.   
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    some grocery type distributor on news this morning where workers may strike for more wages    AND>>>>>a $5 an order fee to be started ??????      doing their share ??????  rite
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭

The Unions are rallying around Joe Biden and loading democrat super-pacs with campaign finance money.

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,914 ✭✭✭✭
    What might that suggest to you ;)