In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kind of a poll question

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
Are you, your family or someone you know laid off from the China virus issue? 
I was mentally prepared for the two weeks I was told my layoff would be.  Now with Ohio saying lock down all of May too boot I am getting concerned for what the numbers will be.

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    The 22nd was my last day so far it has been with pay until  at least until the 18th of April
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Present.
    I've been retired for 12 years and decided to go back to work this summer.  I got in 1 busy month then shutdown. 
    Right now, governor blackface says June 10.  I'm predicting much later.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,572 ✭✭✭✭
     my wife is laid off but some what enjoying her time off   the company is  paying  every one ( large manufacturing company ) the first x amount of days  at  normal pay  to start  now with the extended time off possible    just wait and see maybe unemployment  
     my two sons one is a maintenance "person " at  a plant that has to run  to keep plastic containers made for P&G and other's in the USA and Canada  gave them a permit to be on the road if pulled over but her in Ohio not really needed yet 
    my other son a foreman  of sorts at a hog farm and well we got to eat LOL 
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Not yet, but really hard to lay ones self off.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Son and his wife will be laid off this week.
  • Options
    LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    Retired..just watching..eating popcorn..Wife still going to work 4 days a week 10 hrs a day..so far..no plans to shut down even
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Thinking about laying myself off for the next couple months. 2 of the 3 preexisting medical conditions that would make contracting this Virus, very bad for me.

Making so little money per week, no health insurance for the next 2.5 months, (too late) and exposed big time in the public environment. Thinking it only prudent. Trying to come to a decision. I feel it it to be in my best interests, to self isolate.

Two confirmed cases now in my small, very rural town.

• Options
    84, hard decision for sure. Stress, panic, and anxiety won't help you health, might even make you more venerable to the bug.
    Keep calm and "keep on trucking".
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭

I know several laid off from different restaurant closings,, 72 year old gentleman about. Mile down the road passed away yesterday from this china bug

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,593 ✭✭✭✭
    My bride has over 30 years experience as a teacher.  When I retired she was not quite ready.  When we moved to MO, she started subbing in a couple of small towns near us.  Missouri public schools will likely not be back in session this semester at the school buildings...just internet based learning.     So her subbing days are over.... 
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Butchdog, trying to make a decision as to what is in my best interests.

• Options
    Good chance you could keep on working with no bad outcome, but you must work very hard to keep your self clean and away from shoppers, it can be done and I am sure it would be difficult.

• Options
    84, read select fires article on the virus, about sums it up to a TEE.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,368 ******
    I have 3 out of 4 sons out of work.   One a manager at a fitness center, one a brewer for a high end micro brewery, and one an appliance repairman working for a national furniture chain.  

Two of them are having a very hard time applying for unemployment benefits due to state system overload.

Pretty sure my future fate will be to do everything I can to help them and their families get through this.  Even if it means going into debt to do so.   My wife and I both have several medical issues that would most likely end our existence if the China syndrome were to find us.   Having a conservative financial mindset right now is meaningless. 
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    I'm off of work, my daughter that still lives  at home who is also my boss is off work. My wife is off of work I have a son and a daughter that work from home but their  significant others are off of work. The grand kids are all home from school so pretty much my entire family is home.