In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

trip to Aldi this morning.

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭✭
About the only thing I didn't see were any rice or beans.  Meat, fresh veggies and fresh fruit in abundance.   Many items had limit 2 or 4 signs on them.  I got 4 three packs of red/yellow bell peppers for .99 cents a three pack!!!! I stocked up on fresh veggies.  Broccoli, cabbage, baby bella mushrooms, asparagus, celery, spring mix of greens, green onions and cilantro.   I got three loaves of bread.  They had PLENTY of bread.  Got milk, eggs, 2 pounds of angel hair pasta, a 3 pound piece of fresh salmon, frozen salmon and frozen ahi tuna and even 10 ounces of fresh raspberries.  A bunch of other items also.  No meat.  My wife doesn't do meat during Lent.  Since I didn't want any rice or beans they had everything I wanted.  I was a happy camper!!     

Comments

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    Ours had plenty of beer until I checked out  :dizzy:
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

I can only wish we had an Aldi's or a Whole Foods market here.

Miss fresh seafood, sushi bar and other things related to those places.

No bread, ground beef,(except the cheap 70/30 tubed. What I picked up.) pasta, TP, hand sanitizer, disenfecting wipes, etc. I know rice and dried beans wiped out long ago, where I work. Did not think to look in the grocery store. (I have a bunch stockpiled.)

Canned goods getting scarce, butter, milk, eggs, bagged lettuce. (Iceberg heads still okay.)

Saw and felt this coming for a long time. Hate that it hit us just now.

Never can be too prepared.

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    I haven't seen rice in a month, and that is my starch of choice. I need to go shopping again this week, so I hope my luck is as good as your own.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
     headed out tomorrow 
     see what we can find . 
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Shelves were full here for the most part,  and people were really respectful for maintaining spacing.
  • Options
    Mark, it is to bad you aren't local.  You could come over and pick up some rice.  Along with the rice I have stored for this type of scenario I also buy my favorite rice, Basmati, in the 25 pound bags (The one with the burlap outer bag) and I had bought a bag about 2 months ago while I still had some Basmati from the previous bag.  I have yet to open this bag.

I thought about being a smart * and asking if you want to swap one of those nice collectible rifles you got for half a bag of Basmati but I got worried you would take me up on it and say yes.  Never can tell, in a month or two that might be a stupid move!!    :p
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭
    Remember when we used to share hunting stories?  Now it's all about our foraging excursions to the grocery stores!  LOL!

• Options
    Hey, say what you want.  We are still sharing hunting stories!!!   :p
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    us55840 said:
    Never heard of Aldi ... must be some kind of grocery store from the comments.
    It's a grocery chain which began in Germany and spread through Europe. Aldi arrived in the United States about 40 years ago, but began increasing its profile in the states back in the 2000's. The stores are smaller than American chain grocery stores and are a model of German efficiency. Need a shopping cart? There's a 25 cent deposit- put a quarter in the cart's handle, remove a chain, go about your business, and when you return the cart and replace the chain you get your quarter back. The chances of having you car his by a stray cart or finding abandoned carts blocking parking spots is nil at Aldi.  You also bag your own groceries so the lines move fast, which is something I really like.

Aldi is qwerty by American shopping standards, but the store has a loyal following in this country. 
  • Options
    My wife loves Aldi!!  My wife is tight with her money.  (We are ignoring Italian made designer shoes in this discussion!!)   >:)   My wife loves fresh vegetables.  Aldi has great prices particularly on fresh veggies.  So my wife is very happy and so am I.  Our food cost is easily a third or more lower when shopping at Aldi compared to Wal-Mart or any of the other grocery stores in the area. 
  • Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    I seriously don't get the milk, butter and eggs shortage.  Cows have to be milked.  Chickens will lay eggs.  It's not an option really.
    What do people think they're going to do with 100 gallons of milk???  Can't freeze it, won't keep...WTH??  
    Actually you can freeze it. It takes me quite a while to use a gallon of milk & I used to have to throw away quite a bit. The problem with buying smaller sizes is the MUCH higher price. What I do now is freeze half of it in quart jars. Then when I get maybe a quart left I put one jar in the icebox to start defrosting. The milk will last a lot longer this way.
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭
    I like  Aldi. 45 mins to town.  Low fat Milk, eggs, Meat, veggies, frozen foods and  fresh fruit.   Rice and Bread are a no-no on my  diet. But  beans are ok  especially with some ham.   I got plenty of canned sardines and tuna, I can live a lot time on that..

Lots of folks  hit the  major brand  Walmart, Meijer, Kroger stores and  don't think of the  smaller  stores.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    closest one here is 50 miles but if we are there we load up
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

+1 on the Canned Sardines and Tuna. Lots of crackers/saltines stockpiled. Used to have a lot more, but been eating a fair amount over the last year, and not replacing it. My bad. Still have quite a bit more than most people, I would wager.

Lots of other food stockpiled as well, long before this issue cropped up. Never a bad idea to have food, water, weapons and ammunition. Not too bad off, without adding more to the larder.

• Options
    LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    We have one about 10 miles to town,wife goes there as first choice shopping,she said she will make that run on Thurs...just small stuff,we are stocked..for once it has paid off being a prepper..