In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sources of M1 Carbine History

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
I have a WWII vintage Carbine and was told by a local dealer that records indicate this weapon was destroyed at the factory.  Dealer is no longer in town and I'm wondering what the source of this kind of information might be.
Any ideas?  Many years ago I'd have checked with the Winchester museum in New Haven but that closed long ago.  Any leads greatly appreciated.
Rob

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    If it is a Winchester Carbine then the Cody Firearms Museum may have information. 

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    I have a reference, "Military Arms Research Service". That lists Winchester as the manufacturer, of 828,000 Carbines between 1941 & 1945. The only ones that were questionable? Were the 180,000 that were originally assigned to Underwood. The were finished by Winchester. Many had the Underwood name, lined out on the receiver.

'
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

Bruce is probably the definitive expert in this field...

Mike

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm.  You may want to recheck your serial number.  If your carbine has had an adjustable sight installed, the original SN will be under the rear sight overhang; the same number should have been restamped behind it.  Use tracing paper & a pencil to read an SN under the rear sight, DO NOT REMOVE THE REAR SIGHT.
    Bruce Canfield's "Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine" is pretty comprehensive.  For lighter research, many folks will be happy with Craig Riesch's inexpensive "US M1 Carbines, Wartime Production".
  • wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    Two sites with a wealth of info.
    First one you can enter serial number and it will tell you how it left the factory.
    Just remember, after an Arsenal rebuild no telling what parts were installed, which is why the M1 Carbine is often referred to as a mix master.
    http://uscarbinecal30m1.com/Default.aspx

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭

Will check out the references so generously supplied. No visible serial number, only a single letter stamped to rear of rear sight. Now I'm curious about the possibility of a number under the rear sight, but noted the caution to NOT REMOVE THE REAR SIGHT. Seems like I'd have to in order to check for a hidden number, no?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

If it looks like this, you have hit the jackpot. Otherwise, please post a photo.

Neal

Neal, That's it! Exactly like mine. A second on in the family is marked "B".

What does this mean?

Thanks, Rob

Rob, the carbine IS yours; you sent me the photo about 15 years ago.

I have a few more reference books now. According to Bruce Canfield's "Complete Reference Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine", Winchester gave out few presentation carbines to their employees. After WW2, they considered commercial production of the M1 carbine, but made only 3 "pilot" carbines.

Since your carbine appears not to have a serial number, it wouldn't have been recorded in military records. It may be difficult to authenticate it, but the value would undoubtedly increase if you could document it. I'd take Mark's advice & check with the Cody museum.

Neal

Neil,

That's too funny. I'm sitting here thinking "I thought I had the only one labeled "A".

THE RESEMBLANCE WAS STRIKING! ;-)

CODY will be my next stop.

May be a while but I'll let you know.

Thanks for staying with me on this. Rob

This discussion has been closed.