In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stimulus payment

SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭
This is strictly an economic issue.  Why should federal, state and local employees get a stimulus payment.  Most maybe not all have not lost their job or health insurance.

Where as I know many people working for mostly small and medium companies have lost both.  Why can’t the stimulus money be sent to state unemployment offices to be given to people who have lost their job.  I know they are getting unemployment but it is much more stressful for them.

i am sorry but I just don’t see how the federal, state and local employees who have not lost any benefits deserve a payment.

Comments

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    It is about buying votes.
    IMO, no one who has not be financially damaged by this thing should be getting anything.
    Local story showed a guy who has been 100% disabled for 4+ years going to a food bank for the first time.  

Why?  His financial condition has not changed.

Cynical answers?
    1. Never pass up the opportunity to take advantage of a crisis.
    2. The pervasive effort of government to assist each and every individual is progressively removing any stigma associated with begging for a handout, and he sadly has succumbed.
    3. His under the table job was eliminated, and now he needs the food that he was paying for with tax free money prior.

As a society we are slowly being conditioned to look to government for a handout when any excuse presents itself.  Our grandchildren are being denied the gift of looking at their lives and their futures as their own responsibility, and the independence and liberty such an approach provides.  Dependency upon government kills the human spirit; something some in positions of power seem to be encouraging.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    SW0320 said:
    This is strictly an economic issue.  Why should federal, state and local employees get a stimulus payment.  Most maybe not all have not lost their job or health insurance.

Where as I know many people working for mostly small and medium companies have lost both.  Why can’t the stimulus money be sent to state unemployment offices to be given to people who have lost their job.  I know they are getting unemployment but it is much more stressful for them.

i am sorry but I just don’t see how the federal, state and local employees who have not lost any benefits deserve a payment.
    I have made that same suggestion/comment on here at least twice. My wife and I are both retired like a lot of the posters on this board. The only reason I can figure that they will be sending us stimulus checks is a hope that we will spend it after the virus outbreak to hasten the economic recovery. Probably won't as we had no purchase plans before the pandemic and not sure what will change that. A lot of people have had their expenses go down during this. Less gas used, less wear and tear on vehicle, cheaper to eat at home etc... Has welfare assistance been interrupted? Why do assistance recipients get a raise? The Fed money should have gone to unemployment and that's it. Unemployment + $600 for the wage earner in the family and not money for the non-workers in society. Bob
  • spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    a lot of money will get lost between the govt pile and the recipient.......helping out should be just that, not 27 programs of giveaway to everybody.....i have seen many on welfare or disability that were totally unworthy of receiving any money....one big guy here finally got on disability because "his back hurt"....think he lost it after going to work in a health club.....only known of two that got on disability ever getting taken off..isn't about 1/2 of America on some type of payment now???
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭✭
     Well, someone's got to boost the vacation industry when this is all over and government/public workers will be the only ones able to do so with their extra money to have fun on........everyone that lost their jobs will be playing catch-up paying passed due bills. I do agree with you SW0230  ;)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee