In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1A scope

timbrsmithtimbrsmith Member Posts: 3
Lookin for some informed/experienced opinions on a sturdy medium range scope for a M1A. I'll be using the steel Springfield mount.  

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭
    What is the primary purpose of the rifle?  Punching paper?  Hunting?  Fending off an advancing horde of zombies?
    The military has used the Leupold Mk 4 3.5-10 with good results.   
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    You may want to consider one of the expensive adjustable commercial mounts.
    It took several years of experimenting before the US military figured out the best way to mount a scope on the M14, & that was with a forged receiver; alignment of a scope is even more difficult with your cast receiver.  If you have a real gunsmith in your area, it may be worth the money to have him select the entire package & install it for you.
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    I've run an ARMS18 mount with a Burris XTR on my M1A giving good results. That being said, as Neal noted above, I had bunch of issues due to the cast receiver and ended up, with the able knowledge/assistance/expertise of a local smith, having to shim the mount 13 thousandths which allowed it to be dialed right in. The journey can be very frustrating, but worth it in the long run. Remember your process, torque specs, etc. though, because, come cleaning time, you'll end up repeating it. 
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭

I have a Burris Veracity 3-15×50 in a steel Springfield mount on my M1a National Match. I am happy with it.

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    Lookin for some informed/experienced opinions on a sturdy medium range scope for a M1A. I'll be using the steel Springfield mount.  
    Is this a full size M1A or the smaller Scout or Socom version?  I have a few M1As and always went with the lowest steel mount I could find, which is the ARMS 18.   I use a relatively low power, small sized, straight tube 1 to 4X scope.  Leupold, Burris, Nikon and anything of solid quality should do well.

Depending on what you're using it for the Leupold 1 to 4X 1" tube has some interesting reticles.
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    my full size m1a has a Sadlak steel scope mount which is absolutely the best one for this receiver hands down.
    The scope is a Vortex Viper HSLR  in 6-24x50 ffp with a 30mm tube, it is a great scope for the money.
    being I shoot it at no less than 200 meters I prefer the higher available magnification for small targets, but
    the 4-16x50 model is also a superb choice for this rifle.
  • Options
    timbrsmithtimbrsmith Member Posts: 3
    Than you all for the input. It is greatly appreciated. Still kinda chewin on it. . .