In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Paint for sights options?

tangaratangara Member Posts: 133 ✭✭
I just purchased Rock Island Armory M206.  This revolver has a parkerized finish and the sights are a bit hard too pick up.  What would be a good semi permanent options for painting the sights?  I have read about nail polish, white out, etc.  What works both pros and cons? 

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭
    I have tried both of your examples and have found that automobile touch up pens work best for me. If you totally degrease the sight before applying the paint will last a long time and if it should wear or dull with use 1 pen is a lifetime supply. Bob
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    I've been using "Neon Orange" , acrylic paint. On my front sight(s). For years. Really makes the front sight, stand out. 

Sold in the hobby department of Walmart. $ 2, for a small plastic bottle. The I.D. on the bottle, is "2852E Orange". This paint is fast drying, and quite durable. I clean the sight with 91% alcohol. Prior to applying paint, with tooth pick.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    Back in the day, I would inlet a plastic insert into the ramp. I had some international orange stuff.  That worked very good.  Dovetailed with double tapers, heated plastic pressed into place - I never had one come out.  Front sights can be very hard metal.
    Paint - will need touched often or not - depends on the paint type, use of the pistol, choice of solvents, holster...

These days I would consider doing something along the tritium insert (re-purpose) but that's just me.
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭

I have painted front sights and still do on most all my pistols that I shoot. I prefer fluorescent orange my self, but what I have found regardless of the color you choose is this, if you paint the sight white first before you apply the colored paint, you will be a lot more satisfied with the out come. Painting over a dark colored sight with out using a light color underneath the color you choose, doesn’t allow the light that is available to reflect very well off the color.