In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9.3x62 options?

338weatherby338weatherby Member Posts: 427 ✭✭
Looking to pick up a 9.3x62 for the stable, just because.  I don't have any plan for it other then it fits between my 338-06, 338/378, and 45-70's.  I'd like to add a medium bore, classic non-magnum to the collection.  I missed the chance a few years ago on a couple CZ 550 FS's.  I had a Sako Bavarian full stock on order and cancelled for a Lane Precision custom build instead.  Now I'm back wanting a 9.3 again.  I had already picked up a 1x6 Swaro and a few boxes of ammo as well.  I see Sauer 100's are chambered in 9.3x62.  They are about the least expensive rifle I can find in this round.  There are a couple No. 1's as well as 77's out there too.  My question is, what are your thoughts of these rifles?  I was thinking of picking up a CZ 550FS in 30-06 and having it rebarreled might work too?  Taking a break from work and having idle thoughts!  Getting itchy for another....

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    just about the same as our .35 Whelen, the rifles you mentioned are all fine. Simpson's had a bunch of used ones from Sweden a while back, nice also.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

Sako 85 Hunter Stainless 9.3x62 Rifle JRS1H54

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    I have a CZ 550 FS.  Very handy rifle, well made and all "walnut & blued steel" which I like.  Set trigger, but it's really not needed as the trigger is fully adjustable in non-set mode.  Perhaps they've improved, because I've had the thing for a fair number of years, but CZ didn't exactly kill themselves making a well functioning recoil pad.  The rifle is fairly light, 20" bbl with a thin profile, and definitely does let you know it's gone "bang".
  • Options
    I'm thinking I should keep an eye out for a CZ 550, either FS or American in 9.3x62 instead of rebarreling one?   From what I've read, these are accurate rifles from the factory and put together well.  I'm just a little unsure of the Sauer quality/look and not liking the plastic stock.  A No. 1 is a fine rifle and the 77's are, 77's take or leave.  The gun will be used for bear/elk.  I didn't get the Sako as I didn't want to worry about dings and use.  I have enough guns that I don't use :)
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
     You can't go wrong with one of these. Mine isn't near this nice, nor does it have the dovetail scope bases. Still an amazing rifle though.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

Have you gentlemen considered going to the original source and sourcing your rifle direct from Mauser or DWM - from their current commercial production - it's my understanding that even if it's not a cataloged item they will make almost anything you want..

https://www.*/news/2019/05/21/mauser-teases-dwm-branded-m98-rifle-reboot There was an error displaying this embed.

Mike

• Options
    edited April 2020

Have you gentlemen considered going to the original source and sourcing your rifle direct from Mauser or DWM - from their current commercial production - it's my understanding that even if it's not a cataloged item they will make almost anything you want..

• Options

That’s interesting. I’ve read good reviews on the new M18. Not sure about getting on in 9.3x62 though. I suppose a call to EuroOptic might answer that? The pricing on those is very surprising.

• Options

Your desired cartridge is available as a standard production option...

That took some digging because each authorized distributor or dealer I can identify in north America has there own catalog - using much of the same waffenfabrik Mauser and DMW generated sales material and ephemera but tailored to the market they feel they serve and focused on the cartridges they offer or believe are suitable for their domestic American market...

So from one place to another the offered calibers and configurations differ sometimes widely - with many acquisition managers or buyers playing it safe and picking say 7-10 standard familiar universally available cartridges familiar to 99% of the American consumer...

I can write a phone book on what is wrong with that philosophy - and why I think it's a limiting narrow focus American centric epic mistake...

I tried without success to provide a link to the catalog I found that specifically listed both most encountered 9.3 variants...

Of course waffenfabrik Mauser and DWM would offer your cartridge - how could they not given their heritage and global market.

I think most of us would overlook or forget about a rifle from these folk - it's fallen off most folks radar - and I suspect that many sales wonks would be unwilling to discuss what they don't catalog or offer or stock...

CZ would be my back up choice - though it's close as far as quality goes and many CZ dealers will get you almost any imaginable chambering or BBL length or options you can think up - it's that universally understood flexibility that brings them much business - and they have been carrying the torch for Mauser and anshutz and feinwerkbau for decades...

And IMHO the offerings from Mauser can be surprisingly competitive and affordable - some distributors have been offering scoped entry level package guns built to odd low production special order specs in their sales fliers and catalogs for decades - Davidson's and others stocking limited runs and offering them to their dealer network as loss leaders if you met a certain order volume or dollar figure...

Not to lump you or the others here in with the stereotypical crude American buyer or seller - as I said many of us "experts" often forget that exist.

I try to be helpful and I hope you will keep us informed as you move forward or that my comments proved of value or merit.

And please don't quote me as this was off the top of my head.

Mike

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought I would take one more swing at this request with a slightly different viewpoint.
    There are still some 'classic' 9.3x63 rifles still available to us through some individuals as well as a couple of suppliers.
    I saw this Sauer SafeBolt while doing a simple search:
    The stock is fairly plain jane so you wouldn't worry too much about woods rash.
    I like the Husqvarna rifles in the 9.3x62 chamber:
    This is a very nice 9.3x57 which is another excellent cartridge where you can have the chamber lengthened for the 9.3x62:

Best.

This discussion has been closed.