In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rifle scopes for whitetail, Antelope,ect

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
I just bought a Nikon pro BDC 3x9 for my newest Marlin. I usually buy Bushnell Trophy scopes and Simmons aetec scopes. I don't buy high end or expensive scopes, because the cheaper,or mid range price scopes, serve me well and have never let me down. This is the first Nikon scope I ever bought and I love it. It was 179.00, on sale for 119.00. What do most of you guys and gals use for hunting scopes???? I guess if I lived out west and had long shots, I would buy a more expensive scope. Here, most of my shots are 100 to 200 yards max. Probably 50% of my shots, are under 75 yards in PA and NJ. Oak

Comments

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with your line of thinking and last scope I bought was a Nikon also.  I am however real interested in the vortex scopes and think the next one I get will be vortex.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    I find the Bushnell Trophy line to work well and I've killed a lot of deer when looking through them.   The last several years I've been primarily using the Bushnell Elite 4200 series.   They are very good scopes for the money when new and lately they can be found used very reasonable.   The rainguard coating is everything it is advertised to be.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    Vortex because of the warranty. Lifetime replacement even if you drop it on a rock.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,457 ✭✭✭✭

Most of the above with a Burris once in awhile

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭
    Also most of the above with a few Weavers thrown in the mix. My worry now is with Nikon leaving the scope business what will happen to the lifetime warranties? I've never had to use their warranty and I hope that continues. I lost faith in the performance of the cheaper Leupolds compared to similar priced models from their competition. Leopold should specify a little better glass from their Asian suppliers. Bob
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

I managed to gather - over the course of the gunshop years - a pair of Leopold vari-X ii 3-9X40mm matte black rifle scopes - both used but in perfect condition...

While one was designated for and installed on a mauser es-340b .22 rimfire bolt action target trainer - one I ended up getting aside as a purpose use optic to rotate onto many of my guns and to be used in test firing new guns - and it's fit that niche of sitting atop multiple guns as need very well...

I realize that it may seem a tad over the top to place this scope on a Marlin 336 .30-30 lever action rifle or my mauser sporter project in .250-3000 savage or on a norinco JW-15 CZ clone .22 lr bolt action rifle but I have enjoyed having it as a power added force multiplier quality optic to try on anything my heart desires...

I have 3 steel tube weaver 3-9X40mm. a K-4-W and a V-9B and a K-4-60 and a V8 2.5x-8x along with one of those quick point weird .22 rifle scope as well...

I must confess I do own a bunch of tasco scopes and store brand or no name cheap 3-9X40mm off brand import scopes and most of them work just fine for range day work...

Mike

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,457 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Forgot about Weaver one of my favorites to mount on my Marlins is their 1-3 v seris
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

My two main hunting rifles wear Swift scopes . Both of which I bought dirt cheap . They work great . Probably one of the best values on the market money wise . Just not well known but serious birders swear by Swift’s binoculars .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭
    A Leupold VX_III 2.5-8 is what sits on my Model 70 in .270 Win.  
    I kinda figure I owe it to the game I'm hunting to use the best equipment I can afford (within reason!) so I don't end up with a crippled critter.  See Bposts recent rant on his experience with Nikon scopes.  
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    My 4 main hunting rifles all have Nikon 3-9X 40 BDC scopes on them.  I have taken whitetail at over 250 yards with my Savage 16TH. in .308... My longest yote shot with another Savage 16 in .223 is just over 200 yards.  I also have one on my Muzzle Loader and a Savage 22 Mag rifle.  I have never had an issue with any of them... Good clear glass and pretty rugged..
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Simmons Pro, Whitetail Classic on my single shot NEF .30-.06 Utra Rifle. 3-24X63 AO. works very good, without breaking the bank.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    Nikon is out of the scope business.  I had three of the BDC's go bad in short order.  If you need warranty service all you will get is a voucher to buy a non-scope item at full retail from their web site.  Nikon scopes are BAD NEWS.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    bpost said:
    Nikon is out of the scope business.  I had three of the BDC's go bad in short order.  If you need warranty service all you will get is a voucher to buy a non-scope item at full retail from their web site.  Nikon scopes are BAD NEWS.

Well that was not news I wanted to hear......
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

Tasco and open sights

• Options
    patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    I also really like Swift optics.
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭
    My only beef with Nikkon is the power ring on their scopes are unusually stiff to turn. Some more than others. And on the Monarch series, one of the turret caps has a gloss gold coat of arms on it that looks like a trunk lid emblem from a '48 Packard. Who came up with that Idea? Otherwise they're OK. I have a Burris Fullfield 3.5-10x50 that's my favorite. It's old, 20 yrs at least. I recently bought a Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 to mount on a m94 AE. I haven't sighted it yet. It's got a BDC reticle. That makes me chuckle. I can barely see the cross hashes. It seems like a decent scope though. Oh I need to mention the Burris E1 reticle. Not good. The reticle doesn't cover the sight picture. It's just a small portion of the center. Lay down a silver dollar. That's the sight picture. Lay a quarter on it. That's the reticle. Seriously, Who came up with that idea? 
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    pulsarnc said:

My two main hunting rifles wear Swift scopes . Both of which I bought dirt cheap . They work great . Probably one of the best values on the market money wise . Just not well known but serious birders swear by Swift’s binoculars .

I never owned a Swift rifle scope but I do know they made some good spotting scopes. I have one of their old spotting scopes that still works great. 

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,034 ******
    Got a leupold on my shotgun
    Burris signature select on wife's 270
    everything else has Nikon or Bushnell from walmart  
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Check out the Leupold freedom scopes....
  • Options
    randomnutrandomnut Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Short range guns and .22s get VX-1 3x9. Most everything else gets s VX-R 4-14

• Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭✭
    I had been a Bushnell guy for over 30 years, but after I slipped on some ice and landed on one of my old Sportviews, they chose to send me a Banner, made in China. Total crap, so no more Bushnell anything. I have changed my allegiance to Burris in the last decade for any of my long range rifles. My AR's have Redfield scopes on them, and I have a Swift with locking turrets on my turkey gun, because the recoil is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,382 ***** Forums Admin
    Have an old steel Weaver 3-9x on a Rem 721 22-250. Have a Redfield of some sort on a Rem 760(?)-semi auto 308 that my FIL gave me. Other than that Leupold VX IIs and VX IIIs.
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    I have 6 Nikons and 3 Vortex's. Never had a problem with any of the Nikons, but I do like the Vortex scopes.
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭
    Most of my deer rifles have Leupold's.  My varmint rifles have some older weavers. Unertals. Have some good bushnells too
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Leupolds, VX-II and VX-III's anywhere from 3x9, 4.5 x 14, and one for way out there a 6.5 x 25 boosted by Premier Reticle, to 25 x 50.
  • Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

I have a used a couple Thompson Center scopes with good luck. Don’t know who made/makes them but they were inexpensive about 15 years ago when I wanted a couple, still fine now. I think 3x9x50

But now I’d probably go with one of the different grades of Vortex.

• Options
    neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    For last dozen years, I have been pretty much Swift or Nikon Monarch's.  I do have a Zeiss on my go to deer rifle which is a Browning ABolt in 25-06.  I rigged up a Browning XBolt in 2019 in 26 Nosler I bought here on GB at great price and wanted a 30 mm tube on it.   Put a Burris Veracity on it that I also got on GB.  Son used it in Kansas this past year and I may not get it back.  He loved it.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    IMHO
    Nikon is becoming the "simmons" of 30 years ago. So far the Nikon warranty has covered all the rejects I've returned but that seems to be an excessive number.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭
    Mobuck said:
    IMHO
    Nikon is becoming the "simmons" of 30 years ago. So far the Nikon warranty has covered all the rejects I've returned but that seems to be an excessive number.
    I must be lucky because I have never sent back any of my Nikons. The only scopes I've had to send back were Leupold and Burris. Leupold service was good, Burris not so much. I know it was serviced here but they took so long I thought they must have sent it back to the Philippines where it was made. Bob
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    Have one Nikon, and it has been bombproof.  Most I use are Burris, but have a number of others as well, some pretty high dollar.  Those are far better at the edges of the day when the light is really poor.  They also hold their zero better.  Leupold and up in price.  Vortex is a really solid mid-range scope.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

I would add a few points for consideration...

Based upon your location and the typical conditions encountered in the field in your opportunity zone...

And based upon my proximity to you and my familiarity with the landscape architecture and topography you will encounter...

Probably nothing new to you but it cannot hurt.

1. The average distance for successful shots on deer in eastern PA is approximately 73 yds...

2. While you can and have engaged game at much greater distances the terrain and horticulture often limit you to sub 100 yd clear line of sight.

3. The way I was taught - was that hunting had only a tenuous connection to shooting. That the mental prep and gear selection and choosing the field of play make the hunter.

4. Hunting is stalking and scouting. Hunting is stand site selection. A hunter who can conceal his position invites game to approach and a hunter who can move slowly and quietly through his surroundings is invited to approach.

5. So the skilled and practiced hunter with the right mind set is often able to approach closer to the game or invite them in closer to his position - a short distance closer range shot is more likely to succeed and less likely to cause problems for the hunter or the game.

What my mad rambling adds up to is that when taking the shot on deer in your hunting grounds greatly increased the possibility of a sub 100 yd shot and no good clear lines of sight greater then 100 yds.

And let's agree that some deer don't just stand out in the open away from trees and brush at the optimum orientation to provide you with a stable day at the range flat stationary well lit target or a proper bench to shoot from.

Oakie wants a good scope and rifle combo. But one that easily allows his shot at about 75 yds and takes into account heavier brush and restricted lines of sight.

Field of vision when glassing the deer at approx 75 yds is important - a wide scan style optic seems appropriate - raised see under shoot under scope mounts might prove helpful.

Proper selection of cartridge and bullet type and weight are key - because heavy brush and dense woods may restrict range or deflect point of impact.

When I hunt deer were he is - a Marlin 336 lever action rifle in .35 Remington was IMHO a proper choice...

A rugged gun that has no problem being toted about rough country and a cartridge that while greatly limited to shorter range of fire handles most brush conditions.

Selecting 180 grain to 200 grain Remington corelokt or silver tips provided me with ammo nearly perfectly suited for this hunt.

A Bushnell rough country 3-9X50mm scope on see through mounts seemed a wise choice for the terrain conditions and balanced the possibility of shorter than expected and longer than thought range to the target.

In addition the rifle referenced above would be good protection from bear in an emergency.

And yes almost all of you already knew almost all of this - probably in finer detail than I related...

Mike