In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Traverse days are OVER.....went and traded that sucker in on a Toyota Highlander yesterday! Whew!

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,704 ✭✭✭✭
I am telling you guys.....the past few years of having that Traverse have been a struggle.    Its been one thing after another.     I cannot believe they weren't forced to do a recall on them with how many issues people have with them.    It had a new transmission put in less than 6 months ago......not a month later it had the check engine light back on (catalytic converter codes) and I was toying with the idea of getting that fixed just to try to milk another few months out of it.    I wouldn't have done the transmission repair, but I found a place that could put a refurb one in for $1500.

So, the straw that broke the camel's back was the power steering.    I was on my way home from some errands and it went out.    If any of you have had this happen you know how crazy it is.    You're driving along fine as can be and when you slow down it suddenly becomes VERY HARD to turn the car.   If you don't know this is going to happen it can be quite the event (like it was for me when it happened.)      I had to drop what I had in my hand.....grab the wheel with both hands and cuss like a sailor to make the turn.

On the way to the dealership to trade it in the silly thing was going in and out which was worse than it just being out.......you'd be struggling to get around a turn and suddenly the power steering would start to work and you were pulling on it with all you had.....which made for a crazy ordeal.

It was a 2010 with 190,000 miles on it.....which is something the dealership had never seen before.   They only gave me $2000 for it on trade.    I wasn't driving away in it no matter what they had offered for it.

The buying started that morning over the phone with three Toyota dealerships......calling and getting prices, telling each one what the other was offering......it started at 9am and the last calls were at 3pm when I finally got a deal I thought was worth taking.    It ended up being $38,000 and if I want to make this last 72 payments for several years I will own something that will probably still be running.    I did get the top dog version of the Highlander......OMG at the gadgets I have to figure out.    One thing I am not a fan of right now is the little "beep" that lets you know you are going over the speed limit.    I like that my cell is paired totally with the thing and it read my texts and instantly knows all of my contacts....I had to program who I wanted to call in the Traverse.    There is a button I can push if I want to take my foot off the brake while sitting in a drive through and don't want to put my foot on the brake or put it in park.....crazy. 
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,019 ******
    Isn't that Traverse a rebuilt wreck?
  • Options
    The Traverse was the car that they had to replace because the dealership sold me a salvage title car without telling me.    My son wrecked it later....drove it over a sharp turn into a ditch where it landed on it's side, but the insurance paid to fix it.    
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

Just so everybody is on the same page and understands what a righteous ride now rolls through locust fork...

Mike

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    A housewife with a hobby driving a station wagon.  But it's a nice station wagon and should serve you well.  It's also  great that the hobby (profitable) pays for it.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,047 ✭✭✭✭

You got a new 2020 Highlander Platinum for $38,000? Impressive

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope your Toyota experience is as good as mine has been.  My first Toyota is a 2010, has 225,000 miles on it, was used for 6+ years in a vending  machine business, has been used and abused and driven every where at 80 to 85 MPH.  Except for the normal things, tires, brakes and all that routine normal maintenance, in 225,000 I have replaced one wheel bearing. 

I love my Corolla!
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    You're going to love your Highlander, LF. I've had my 2008 Sport level for six years now and enjoyed every minute of it. Had one major issue - that they said was extremely rare - had the Variable Valve Controller go out. It's a total engine remove, teardown, and rebuild to change that part and it was labor rate spendy. But not a dime on repairs since.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    austin20 said:

You got a new 2020 Highlander Platinum for $38,000? Impressive

That is what is left......I put $4000 down and the trade in of $2000, so it was a bit more, but still a deal.    I'll miss the CD player.    Why.....WHY....I'm not a "download your music" person, so its just annoying that I'm being forced to learn this mess.   
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I traded in a 2009 Traverse for a 2019 Acadia a year and a half ago. I didn't have near the miles you did but it was a relatively care free vehicle. Sorry that you got a bad one. Not to be a downer but I assume that the dealer checked for any recalls on the Highlander before he sold it. There was a recall that started last month. I see what you mean by all the new electronic gadgets. When I got the 2019 I sat and went through the manual to figure out all the new doo dads. Most of them I haven't used so if I ever want to I'll have to figure them out all over again. Enjoy the new vehicle. Bob
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

My 07 Tacoma is still going at over 200k. Did front wheel bearings at 185k but run over sized MTs.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,047 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Post some pics please.

Now that we are grandparents wifey wants an SUV (her convertible will become a weekend toy). and I have been talking up the Highlander to her.

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

2001 Lexus RX300 AWD SUV full size luxury sport truck - loaded with every option - still less then 60,000 miles and unkillable bulletproof off-road performance with deluxe leather and wood cabin appointments...

Welcome to the club - congratulations - well bought and well deserved.

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    My last two vehicles were a 1996 Cheyenne 1500 extended cab pick up with a 3.4 Vortec ran to 300K and sold for 1K, now I have a 2009 Kia Rondo with 1.6 and 200K. I do like to drive em to the very last drop :)

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what my trade in value is with 558,000 miles on it???? :*o:)
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
    what has 558,000 miles on it????
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,427 ******
    what has 558,000 miles on it????

A NASA space vehicle!  :D

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Nissan Frontier with 490,000 miles on it.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    With all of the fruit bowls, and bbq sandwiches in it, any caterer would be proud to own it.... Congrats on your new ride....
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    Dammmm and I was just looking at some Traverse's
  • Options
    I'll get some pics posted.    Its white with dark interior.    I like it a lot so far.    I've put the carseat in it's spot already for when I kidnap my grandson for a bit.       I had a few errands to run today and I'm still sorting out all the stuff.    The part where it will read my emails and such to me out loud is pretty neat.     Its got a "pause" button that will make it sit still without putting it in park and you don't have to put your foot on the brake......its supposed to be handy for things like drive throughs and such.   I don't see me using that at all.     I can't get used to the cameras and back up nonsense, but I'll figure it out.     Larry hates sun roofs, but I like them on a nice day like today was!   The radio is AMAZING.   I can rewind live radio and it pauses songs when I answer a phone call....pauses the radio, which is strange. 
  • Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    But Kasey, does it have the air conditioned seats that you demanded in your vehicles before.    If I remember Korrectly, those seats were the most important item on your wish list when trading last time.  Right. :)
  • Options
    hobo9650 said:
    But Kasey, does it have the air conditioned seats that you demanded in your vehicles before.    If I remember Korrectly, those seats were the most important item on your wish list when trading last time.  Right. :)
    YES!!!!    That was the number one feature I told them I wanted before they started trying to prance whatever ponies they had before me.    It cuts out a lot of the "hooplah" if they know you aren't going to be swayed by a lower tier item that they think you will fall in love with if they just sing the right tune.   
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats I think you'll like that Highlander.
    My Step Dad had to put a rebuilt transmission in his GMC Acadia (same as the Traverse). While that was being done, he bought a 2nd one, a 2019 IIRC. The transmission shop said that majority of his business is Chevy CVT Suv's.
    We had to put a transmission in our Chevy Captiva.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    Boy talk about an upgrade. You went from a GM pile of junk to one of the best vehicles branded by Toyota that isn't a pickup. When I was in the market, I didn't like how much like a car it felt and went with the much sportier Honda Pilot, but the Highlander was in the running for sure.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,427 ******
    My hometown is Traverse City Michigan.  When the Traverse first came out, about all I saw on the road during the summer tourist season were Traverse's!  :o
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******

Traverse/Acadia/Enclave/Outlook are turds, there is nothing good about these vehicles. Don't look at them, run as fast as you can.

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,470 ✭✭✭✭

The Blazer they replaced was a disaster too.

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    savage170 said:

The Blazer they replaced was a disaster too.

Trail Blazer right?
    The new Blazer also looks like it will be a disaster.

• Options
    Boy talk about an upgrade. You went from a GM pile of junk to one of the best vehicles branded by Toyota that isn't a pickup. When I was in the market, I didn't like how much like a car it felt and went with the much sportier Honda Pilot, but the Highlander was in the running for sure.

While I was dreaming about what I might like to buy someday I thought I was going to TRY to buy a smaller vehicle....I just cannot get everything done that I have to in anything smaller.    The Highlander is about as small as I can go, but really I could use something a bit bigger at times.     I thought it might actually be cost effective if I bought the smaller thing and just leased larger vehicles when I needed it.....but I didn't want to start trying to deal with extra nonsense with what I'm already trying to keep up with.   

My newest discovery is the cruise control.    I've always liked using the CC whenever traffic would allow.     This is my first experience with something that is this modern though.....when you set the speed it "cinches" up the steering a bit tighter and almost starts driving for itself....keeping it between the lines of the road, making turns, and even slowing down with traffic ahead.    I thought I had accidentally bought a Tesla for a minute there. 
  • Options
    I'll add that I did LOVE the Traverse.....it rides great, the perfect size, tons of fancy mess to make you feel special.    I think the earlier ones were the real turds, which is what I was dealing with.    I don't know if they are having the troubles I was dealing with in the later ones.

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    You're going to get bored and lonely with that Highlander, not having to take it in to see your favorite Service Writer every couple months.  Whip * new ride!!

• Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Did you get the regular or hybrid?

I’ve been hoping the 4-runner would come in hybrid this year, as I’m about ready to replace the ‘07 4-runner. It just seems that the bulk of my driving anymore is around town where I could take advantage of the regenerative braking. And I’m pretty sure if I get 14 years on the next one, the price of gas may move around a little!

Anyway - nice choice!

• Options
    DirtyDawgDirtyDawg Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    I've been doing some mechanic'ing on a 2011 Traverse to help out a friend....biggest piece of * on the planet. Before I started working on it, it had already dropped a driveshaft at 75k miles!!!  Now, I'm dealing with camshaft position sensors (x4), crankshaft position sensors, collapsed hydraulic lifters, and a vehicle that is worth less than what it will cost to repair.  Government Motors at its finest. What a P.O.S.!!!!
  • Options
    BikerBob said:

Did you get the regular or hybrid?

I’ve been hoping the 4-runner would come in hybrid this year, as I’m about ready to replace the ‘07 4-runner. It just seems that the bulk of my driving anymore is around town where I could take advantage of the regenerative braking. And I’m pretty sure if I get 14 years on the next one, the price of gas may move around a little!

Anyway - nice choice!

One of the sales people went over the price difference between the hybrid and the ones that weren't......at the most, its only 4 or 5 miles per gallon better for the hybrid.   So, you would have to do a LOT of driving to save enough gas to make up the price difference.   So, I didn't go for the hybrid.....but that was what I was initially going for when the phone calls started.       With the plants not producing cars the selections are spread all over the place and you might have to call around to find a few places that have what you are looking for so you can make them compete in price.