In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sticker Shock

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
Stopped at the big Pick N Save grocery store this morning $21.00 for a 3lbs of 83 % hamburger. Guess I'll have to eat mine out.

Comments

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,382 ******
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    Crazy!  I just saw it for $2.49 and bought some to  shore up my venison.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    Lord have mercy!!  Where do you live??  I don't do much beef but I picked up a couple of 1 lb. packages of grass fed beef for $4.79 a lb. last week.  This is why we use so much boneless, skinless chicken breast.  We buy the large family packs and pay between $1.69 to $1.99.  Wal-Mart $1.99 everyday, lower at Aldi and Lidl but not everyday.  

We have a hand crank meat grinder.  Momma will grind those chicken breasts and use like burger.  She seasons up the chicken with herbs from our garden and grills that chicken just like beef but the way she seasons the chicken the resulting "burger" is MUCH better than a beef burger.  A great burger at $1.99 a lb. or less.  We also cut the breast length wise, a little bigger in diameter than a hot dog, grill it up and roll it up in a piece of bread and eat like a hot dog!  Good eating!!  
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭
    Thats awful high, I would expect 3 lbs of T-bone or Fillet for that price. We do have shortages of beef at times but the prices are per market.
    Also I live in a state that has price gouging laws. Anything over a 10% markup means the state AG will fine heavily. Usually starts at $10K. State already nailed several who were selling masks and sanitizers at quadruple rates. 
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    It's rumored it will get worse
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    Pork loin, in Galax, Virginia, doubled in price in two weeks.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    armilite said:
    Stopped at the big Pick N Save grocery store this morning $21.00 for a 3lbs of 83 % hamburger. Guess I'll have to eat mine out.
    If I'm reading this right, that's $7.00/lb. for 83% ground beef? Yikes! That's a tad high in my opinion.
    I'm getting 1 lb. of grass fed Buffalo for that price. Regular grass fed beef at 93% is only $3.99/lb.
    Chicken thighs have been running $1.49/lb. which is high but Costco has boneless/skinless breasts for $1.99/lb. I also have a hand meat grinder which was my grandmother's for making ground chicken for all sorts of dishes. With proper seasoning it can taste like sausage for sausage gravy... :p Lily White flour biscuits, sunny side up eggs and a large cup of coffee! Breakfast is served! >:)
    Best.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Busted.
    Sure was looking forward to the Memorial day Hillsville trip this year. Canceled. Sure hope Labor Day event gets a go ahead.
    Been passing through Galax many, many years. Stopping there on about every trip. Enjoy the stop at Harrison's gun shop to. Tad high but what ain't anymore.
    Back to the high burger. Neighbor raises beef cattle, all the burger you want already processed for 4.50 a pound.
    Pondering the notion of going in with another neighbor and buying and halving a beast.
    Did I say he was renting my Mom's pasture?  Hummmm, sounds interesting, lot's of places for a hide to hide.
    I am pretty sure I know an acquaintance  that "rustled" 4 of his dads cows and sold them, told his dad that they got lost in the surrounding area and could not find them. Possible as the area is big and sparsely populated. But not probable.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

3.50 yesterday for 80/20

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    You guys better buckle up, this is just the beginning. Last time I was in a grocery store the cheap bulk burger was $6.00lb
    My butcher was 2 1/2 months out before I could get one in and a butcher by my sister is booked till December. With the big plants reducing output or shut down this year will be interesting.
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I paid 7.29,  2 weeks ago for burger at our local meat market , called both our local butcher shops after that  , one said he would only sell beef by the 1/4 and he was out at least 6 weeks , the other had burger on hand at 5.10/lb  picked up 40 lbs dropped 10 lb off at my MIL and put the rest in our freezer
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    Dang.......I work in the meat dept. of a grocery store and our 80/20 1 lb. chubs are like 3.49.
  • Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    Pick n Save is owned by Krogers.  The CEO of Krogers makes $21 Million a year and doesn't give a rats butt how much we pay or how he treats his employees.  He blames the price on meat packers closing because of the virus.  "Google" Krogers CEO and get the scoop on this guy.
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    couple weeks ago bought 75#  90/10 hamburger just under 4.00 a pound......filled up freezer and they also have the Troyer smoked cheddar cheese...got a brick of that and they slice the thickness you want ...yummy 
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭
     Burger at fast food around here is getting more limited at all of them. Seems like meat is some times short around here.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******
    It will start affecting the prices of other products containing meat.
    Maybe even pet food.
  • Options
    dreher said:
    Lord have mercy!!  Where do you live??  I don't do much beef but I picked up a couple of 1 lb. packages of grass fed beef for $4.79 a lb. last week.  This is why we use so much boneless, skinless chicken breast.  We buy the large family packs and pay between $1.69 to $1.99.  Wal-Mart $1.99 everyday, lower at Aldi and Lidl but not everyday.  

We have a hand crank meat grinder.  Momma will grind those chicken breasts and use like burger.  She seasons up the chicken with herbs from our garden and grills that chicken just like beef but the way she seasons the chicken the resulting "burger" is MUCH better than a beef burger.  A great burger at $1.99 a lb. or less.  We also cut the breast length wise, a little bigger in diameter than a hot dog, grill it up and roll it up in a piece of bread and eat like a hot dog!  Good eating!!  
    In Kilwaukee WI. There are meat shortages all over the state a limit of 3 meat purchases per purchase at most stores. Even one of  the Walmarts was totally sold out of ground beef. Luckily we don't eat it that often, mostly for making home made tacos or burritos. We eat more chicken the anything else. Big article in today's  paper about buying direct from farmers. Either it is panic buying or just a major shortage.
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    It's the same down here in the FL keys, I don't ever remember sea food being cheaper than beef.  
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

I'm not saying I wouldn't if things got ugly, (but) as asked before - You paid $7/lb. for Ground Beef?

"$21 for three lbs of 83% hamburger."

Seriously?

If you saw it for that and passed, That I understand.

Someone needs to answer for price gouging there.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,382 ******
    If I could buy seafood for less than ground beef, boy oh boy would I  :p 

In recent times, not now with all this crap going on, I could get ham cheaper than bologna.  That really surprised me.    
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    I must live in a good area!  Today pork roast $1.49,  T Bone $399,  skinless chicken breast $1.79,  sweet corn 4 for a buck,  Watermellon $2.99,  ground beef $2.99,  and blueberries for $2.99 a pint.  Lots of whole chickens,  few sparse spots here and there,  but for the most part business as usual.
  • Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    Hunting club is 12 miles south of me.  Plenty of hogs and other meat there.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    The debacle of this lock down with the result being the destruction of our economy and way of life will go down in history as the biggest boondoggle in 250 years.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    hobo9650 said:
    Hunting club is 12 miles south of me.  Plenty of hogs and other meat there.
    For now
  • Options
    edited May 2020

I'm not saying I wouldn't if things got ugly, (but) as asked before - You paid $7/lb. for Ground Beef?

"$21 for three lbs of 83% hamburger."

Seriously?

If you saw it for that and passed, That I understand.

Someone needs to answer for price gouging there.

No I didn't buy it I wouldn't pay $3.99 for 83% ground beef. No where did I say I bought it.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Eggs are cheaper in the country
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    this is NOT about food..this is about STICKER SHOCK.....food prices here are about the normal ....BUT .....wife has a medical issue regulated with one of three meds ...two old meds and one new med available...she has been taking one old cheap med made in china that works just fine except that now all of a sudden is NO longer available...AND.....now the STICKER SHOCK....the NEW made in AMERICA med has a cash price pay the pharmacy of $14,000.00 A MONTH (one month) supply of pills....no  chit ...we have a prescription insurance plan that can take it down to $2000.00 a month in a catastrophic category ..plus factor in the plan cost and deductible.....now this is STICKER SHOCK......the other older cheap  American pill is debatable on whether it is the best applied... .....there is NO law in America limiting profit ratio on meds ......they can charge anything they want.... welcome the golden years and she is a  retired RN-ARNP and capable of making the best decision with a doc..but... this is plumb  crazy  >>>> but REALLY ....cash price walk into a pharmacy $14000.00 a month ??????   and many voters and govt in this country want to give a segment of those who live here FREE medical we cannot get but are taxed for
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    I really feel for you. The issue is not profits from American manufacturers it is the legal tort system that rewards a lawsuits making millions upon millions for lawyers yet not actually helping the impacted in meaningful ways.  As an example.  J&J on the hook for 100's of millions for talcum powder.  Lawyer ads on TV and radio abound, looking to sue and make millions for themselves.  Roundup, jury awarded millions to a guy that did not follow ANY of the precautions and basically bathed in it.  How can Roundup, one of hundreds of products containing various amounts of Glyphosate isopropylamine salt be the only one causing issues?  It has deep pockets and will settle out of court, still costing them millions for the suit.
    Is there price gouging in Big Pharma?  You bet your bippy there is, and it is reprehensible.  The epi-pen is a prime example of gouging the living hell out of folks, so is Insulin cost rising since my son was diagnosed at age 3.  There is something very wrong with these issues but I can't blame Capitalism for most of them.  The 8 Trillion ton monster in our medical system is still the Federal Government and the policies they create, the bureaucracies they hold dear.  Most of all it is our elected Masters getting uber rich at your and my expense sucking millions in political contributions from those mega businesses seeking favors making money by corrupting our System.