In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Skinks !!!! A few pics....

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
I enjoy this little critters roaming around our place...two different types on the back porch yesterday....
A five lined and a Bullhead I believe (Correct me if I am wrong HeDog !!!)

Comments

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    i like having them around also but the barn cats keep their numbers down here.  i now have a garter snake taking up residence in the garage, hope the cats don't find out anytime soon.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    I have 'em all over the place.  Four or five different species, some of them 8 inches long.  I want to get a photo but the little guys are fast!
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

I hate them!

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******
    The only lizards we have in my neck of the woods (Michigan)  are a couple varieties of salamanders.  I do not know if they are even considered to be in the family of lizards.

I find them very rarely when I bust into old downed rotten logs and use them for fish bait.

When I lived briefly in Texas, seeing lizards running all over the place was very cool for one who never saw them before.   The scorpions in the bathroom and all the rattle snakes made the place a bit less favored though!
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    We have them around our place and my wife hates them, but oddly she doesn't mind our Anoles.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    When I was a kid we had a lot of those around the house.   I don't see them much where I live now.
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    My cats keep them thinned out around here.
    Sometimes their glass tail will break off and wiggle so as the main body can get away from a predator. the can grow new tails.
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
    Great looking skinks!  After our move to VA this year, one of the few things my family misses about South Florida is the diversity of lizards and such (although we still at least have skinks and fence lizards in VA). My little girls seemed to catch something new every day down there, and wouldn't hesitate to chase down and jump on even the biggest of them. Here are just a few of what they caught.......

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Lord I don't have a cat to get my skinks.  I wish I had more.  I love watching them!!
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******
    edited May 2020
     No No.  Snake with legs.  
    But I still enjoy all your pictures, so please continue !!
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    Great photos frogdog of the reptiles of Florida.  What the hell is that it looks like the Lizard of Oz.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    Wm81, 5 lined and Great Plains skinks.  I never saw the GP in Mo.  The coal skink is also there.
  • Options
    Frogdog, the last three are all introduced exotics, brown basilisk, green iguana and Cuban Knight Anole.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭
    I love having them around my house so much, I capture and transplant. Same with sceloporus undulatus.
    Only problem is the kingsnakes that prey on them. Kingsnakes are captured and relocated, not killed.
  • Options
    love2shootlove2shoot Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    I prefer the Anoles of Florida.
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    around here in south central kansas is a racerunner lizard...they have a neat defensive capability that if  a critter catches them by the tail it has a area of specialized cells at the base of the tail so it breaks off and keeps wiggling keeping the aggressor busy while the lizard makes its escape...now the unusual thing about this is it can grow a new tail just like the old one....sure would be neat if people could figure out this trick and incorporate it to replace arms or legs if need be
  • Options
    He Dog said:
    Frogdog, the last three are all introduced exotics, brown basilisk, green iguana and Cuban Knight Anole.

Yea, it seemed like just about EVERYTHING down there was non-native, both plants and animals. Aside from the lizards, the trees were really neat. A lot of tropical hardwoods of some sort. We had a very large one in our yard that was knocked down by a hurricane in 2017. Contractor cut it down to the ground but left the stump, and by the time we left in 2019, it had grown back out of the stump and was about 30 ft tall already. Crazy.  Also, the fishing was fun - lots of Peacock Bass, Mayan Cichlids, etc.!

Interested place to live for a couple of years....but wouldn't want to be there permanently.

• Options
    You are a good man Frogdog, you did not even mention the mosquitos!  I was in the glades one day photographing, and stopped at a boardwalk.  I was getting the camera ready looked up at the windshield and there must have been 200 of them waiting for me to get out.  I went back to Miami, got my stuff and left for Tampa. 
  • Options
    fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    When we were kids around Lubbock, Texas we had a blast catching sandscratchers(swifts, I think), skinks and horny toads. Skinks were a real challenge. They always seemed to be about three turns ahead of whoever was trying to catch it. The real challenge was catching a whole one. Grab its tail and that's all you got.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

Yep , snakes with legs ! Funny thing , snakes don’t bother me . Have caught/handled hundreds of the snakes , no problem . Lizards etc nope I ain’t doing that

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    first time I ever heard the term skinks, sounds like a cross between stink and skunk........  we just call em lizards around here
  • Options
    They are lizards, in the family Scincidae. :)
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Used to live in Miami Frogdog. Before that lived in El Paso, TX. Used to catch lizards and snakes in the desert and sell them to the local pet store.

We would have killed each other to catch the last three on your list. (No iguanas out West though.) Kept us in burger (Whataburger) money. Good times. Late 60's.

• Options

Wow, that would be a fun way to make pocket money!

My girls would put leashes on them, take them for walks, and put Barbie clothes on some of them. It was ridiculous....and hilarious.

🐸

• Options
    Never seen a Skink this large in Oklahoma. It was on the side of a Brick house.
    Thought at first it was a Mountain boomer (collared Lizard) or some exotic that had escaped captivity but closer inspection I seen it was a Skink. 
    Thing was approximately 8-10 inches long and huge body.
    I chased him away because I have a cat that like to kill and eat small skinks and lizards.
    It could really move and run fast.
    It had the appearance of the one in this picture.

https://www.reptilefact.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Five-Lined-Skink-Care.jpg

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the blue tailed one but they can startle you
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭

We have these guys that hang around. Drive the dogs nuts.
  • Options
    That looks almost like the same house that I seen the bigun hanging onto in the link above.
    I also noticed that the trim board at the top of the bricks is not sealed. 
    I sealed mine awhile back and also had some small holes in the concrete between the bricks. 
     Sealing these areas (with caulk of the proper color) really reduced the number of small insects that were getting inside the House.
    The Mountain Boomer lizards (the Ok state lizard) are on the way out in my neck of the woods. Seem to be going the same way the Quail and Road Runners went. They were really thick about 20 years ago, I seldom even see a Boomer, Road Runner now days. Quail have completely evaporated.
    Maybe Al Gore will help restore them???
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    Okie,

Photo is a couple years old. We sealed the boards our first summer there. It does cut down on the bugs for sure.
  • Options

WM, the more I look at that photo, the more I think I have misidentified the lower animal.  I believe both are 5 lined skinks.  The lower one being an older male.  I have never seen an individual like that, but it retains a muted version of the stripes of the other.  The male great plains skink has the red/orange head, but the color pattern is dark stippling on the rear margins of the scales resulting in a "chain mail" effect.

Keep those photos coming, you are seeing things I never did in 32 years of living around there.

• Options
    I wish I had a picture of the skink I saw yesterday. On the side of a tree here in northern VA - probably 8 inches long and similar to the brown one in the opening post. Differences, however, were no apparent stripes (even muted ones), and the orange/red color of the jaw/chin/neck was extremely bright. Very interesting, as I have never seen one like that in VA before.

I remember growing up south of Lynchburg, and we had a lot of the blue-tailed skinks that would run around on the chimney and the bricks of the house. My mom HATED them. She had an old lever-action Daisy air rifle, and would shoot them off of the side of the chimney. Not exactly safe use of a BB gun, but I never remember her missing - one shot, one kill. Made me mad, though, because I really liked having them around to catch. 
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    He Dog said:

WM, the more I look at that photo, the more I think I have misidentified the lower animal.  I believe both are 5 lined skinks.  The lower one being an older male.  I have never seen an individual like that, but it retains a muted version of the stripes of the other.  The male great plains skink has the red/orange head, but the color pattern is dark stippling on the rear margins of the scales resulting in a "chain mail" effect.

Keep those photos coming, you are seeing things I never did in 32 years of living around there.

Thanks for the info.....I do enjoy it here in the sticks.....