In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

yoshy's ice cream thread........

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
got me thinking, at almost every holiday/family gathering we used to make homemade ice cream, I can still hear the ice cream maker turning away in the ice bucket. That is one thing that could really give you a frozen headache, but I loved it.  seems mom allways had some mixed up when we would get together and we just had to get bag of ice and some rock salt.  supposed to be close to 90 sunday/monday, may make some if I can find the old ice cream maker in the basement, anyone else still make homemade ice cream???

Comments

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******

I have a white mountain ice maker.

6 qt.

best ice cream ever

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******
    The last ice cream maker I had, was bought with S&H Green stamps!  :o 

Ya!  That was a long time ago!    I can still remember the unique smell of ice and salt together as the electric machine turned the canister! 
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

Buddy has a hit or miss engine hooked to a very large 5 gallon ice cream maker . Makes the best I have ever eaten using a mix from an Amish maker . Buys it from the country freezer store on the web

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    We got one of those ball shaped ice cream makers for when the gkids are around...put everything in it...put the cap on and let the kids kick it around the yard...pretty simple!

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    hillbille said:
    got me thinking, at almost every holiday/family gathering we used to make homemade ice cream, I can still hear the ice cream maker turning away in the ice bucket. That is one thing that could really give you a frozen headache, but I loved it.  seems mom allways had some mixed up when we would get together and we just had to get bag of ice and some rock salt.  supposed to be close to 90 sunday/monday, may make some if I can find the old ice cream maker in the basement, anyone else still make homemade ice cream???
    I remember Memorial Day as a child because of the importance placed on it by my family and the tiny town I grew up in. This day was a big deal in the eyes of my uncles (all nine were vets) and the townspeople who believed in honoring the fallen. The cemetery was neatly groomed and decorated by the groundskeeper and townspeople. Fresh flowers abounded everywhere and flags were on very grave site for a veteran including those from the Civil War (both sides).

Once we finished up decorating, everyone hurried back to get ready for the parade. Maybe it wasn't the biggest parade or had the best bands but the whole town turned out to line the main street going through town. The 4H kids brought their cow and pig projects while others of us road our horses and carried flags. The best part all of us kids waited for was when the parade ended and the local fire departments competed in 'water wars'. A cable was stretched between two tall poles with a quarter barrel(?) suspended on a pulley. One department and pumper on each end started with hoses nozzle down until the pressure came on and they aimed the streams at their end of the barrel. Much like tug-of -war, the winner managed to push the barrel to the opposite end of the cable. The kids were allowed to stand relatively close and got rained on for the several minutes the contest lasted. Thoughtful aunts and mothers had brought towels to get us slightly more dry before heading back to my Grandmother's house, to help get the family meal prepared. (imagine wash tubs full of fresh baked yeast rolls...)

My aunts and mother (11) helped with the meal while my uncles and father (11) sat outside comfortably in the shade of the big trees in the back yard. The grandchildren (43) were divided up into groups to start the churning of the ice cream by hand, no motors when you have this many kids to supply the horsepower. All of us together required 6 ice cream makers which usually got everyone a small bowl for dessert. This tradition continued until my grandmother passed. Our numbers may have dwindled over the years but we still hold onto our values, love of country and family forever.

Happy Memorial Day!

Best.