In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kahr .45

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in General Discussion

Who owns one. (I own one and love it.) My most reliable .45. (Without having to spend $$ tweaking it in order to function.) Unlike my 1911's.

Slightly smaller than a Commander model 1911.

I'd appreciate hearing from those who own one, and your thoughts about it.

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's pretty much the same as a Hi Point.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

I think you would be Ricci Wrong.

Nice handgun if you have never held one, fired one, etc. No hesitations to carry one, unlike my 1911's.

I know there are others here that own one. Nice handgun.

Please weigh in, share your thoughts.

Yes, I know, a Gun topic. Sorry.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    That's one brand of gun I haven't fired.   I know a guy that carries one but I haven't been shooting with him so I haven't tried it.
  • Options
    I have owned a .40 and a pm9 both of which were good guns. They are a pain to try to sell cause most folks can't run the long smooth d/a trigger but I like them.
  • Options
  • Options

Like the Bersa .380 Thunder, a grossly underated firearm. (I am deadly accurate with my Bersa .380.)

Bought it from my Brother back in around 2009, after having shot it, (and multiple other weapons) at an indoor range in Richmond. My Brothers wife wanted to step up to a 9mm. Win/win for both of us.

There are lots of under the radar handguns, that shine. (Given the chance.)

A different choice to a 1911, with .45acp lethality. More concealable, more reliable, without having to spend $$ tweaking it, in order to get it do what it should have left the factory doing. IMHO.

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,083 ✭✭✭✭

Had a K-40 she's sitting at my local come Sept (odd one out) she's coming up on second anniversary sitting there. Got a perfect panic sell/buy situation and the governor made them close up for not being "essential". I say needing to buy a gun or ammo and the public can't makes them essential. I liked mine but there could be a few improvements. A little longer grip (at least for me) so they can add another round and checker the front strap.  

I think it's pretty much the same as a Hi Point.

You know most folks according to the local where my K-40 is sitting thinks that. Personally I think Hi-Point and Raven are fighting for the bottom of the barrel. Also what gets me is Glock being "perfection" went single stack like Kahr who held that market for decades.

Now if I didn't have to pay to paper her all over again I'd bring her home. Besides gawed only knows who's grubby mitts been on her.

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    i had one, wnt bang every time i pulled the trigger just didnt like it.  im just one of those 1911 guys.  traded it for a wire feed welder.  the guy who has it seems to like it but i notice he never shoots it.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    HIGH POINT,, NO WAY! I have one right next to puter that is 100% reliable, got a brother in 9mm and a another brother 40 cal. Trio and they function 100%B)
    Got the 40 with factory laser at my fav gunshop for a song, in the box, extra mag. People just don't know about them, imo
  • Options
    About what? The Kahr or the Hi Point?? They are both good guns but we couldn't sell Hi points in our store cause most of our customers were looking for something a bit different. I hired a guy from a pawn shop once and he really wanted to stock HP's so I got a few but our customers just didn't want them. They are heavy blow back guns and most folks are willing to spend a bit more for something lighter. I have heard that the shops that sell a lot of HP's get a lot of ATF trace calls every month but I can't say for sure. As far as Kahr is concerned most of the ones I have known have been very reliable good shooting pistols. They can get a bit pricey. As I recall one with all the bells and whistles could tear a $1000.00 bill up. The hardest thing to sell about the Kahr, at least in my experience, is the long d/a trigger pull.  I grew up shooting D/A revolvers and love a good smooth D?A trigger but that is not the case with most shooters under 50 years of age. Most guns are decent if you feed them good ammo , in good mags if they require a mag, and no one has "gunsmithed" them to death. 
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,083 ✭✭✭✭
    $1000 Kahr? Was that the one worked over by Wilson?
  • Options
    buckglovesbuckgloves Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    got one. like it a lot.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭
    Well since you asked for "Your Thoughts"
    ILL Pass. Crappy triggers and a breaking period of 200 rounds. I can understand why they have the break in period but not the crappy triggers. Most seem to work and the few examples I know of that had problems, Car honored their warranty and sent them back fixed. Personally, Id rather have a Glock or a Sig.  
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I remember from years ago they were owned by the Rev. Sun Young Moon family (the religious "moonie" fame) so that being rather odd I never put much thought into owning one.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options

NEVER heard that. Any documentation or link, to back that up?

I'd be interested in seeing it.

• Options

Well I'll be damned. Research has brought to light that indeed Kahr Arms was founded by Sun Young Moon's Son.

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

Well I'll be damned. Research has brought to light that indeed Kahr Arms was founded by Sun Young Moon's Son.

Want to guess where he got the money to start up :/ ,............money his Daddy and family members scammed from brain washed people in the name of religion     :D

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    I have one in .40 S&W, compact, well made, stainless steel, a tad heavy so it is in the safe most of the time. Plenty of whallop on both ends.
    Yep founded by a Moonie offspring. PLUS, made in the USA.
  • Options
     Justin Moon designed the Kahr pistol in I think the early 1990's. It was a unique design due to the feed ramp being off set. I have often heard the 200 round break in story and in fact I think Kahr recommends that themselves but most I have sold and shot ran well right out of the box. I do remember getting a deal on a dozen fancy PM380's with the black coating and night sights and at least one of those guns did require a break in period. But realistically if you are going to carry a gun shouldn't you fire at least 200 rounds to be sure of the gun and to get used to it? And yes if you order a Kahr with night sights and the black coating it can run close to $1000.00 out the door.