In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Space X 4.30 Eastern

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
Going back into space with Astronauts...

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭
    Godspeed, gentlemen.  
    A pretty dang amazing achievement.  
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

I have a great view from my office.

It rained last night and this morning and still cloudy.

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait to watch this launch!
    10 years of overpaying the Russians to do the job the we should have been doing all along. Thank you Obammy! $90 million per seat each way up and back.
    Well, not any more! Space-X and Boeing (choke) will now step up to handle both the resupplies and astronaut switching.

Best.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    Update at 1:00 pm Eastern: The rocket is in good shape, with no mechanical issues being worked, the astronauts are suiting up and will board in about an hour, After they are sealed in, there will be a Go-No-Go poll to start fueling, final weather checks (it is iffy but improving) and then launch at 4:33 pm. Watch it on NASA TV, History Channel, Discovery Channel, or at spacex.com
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    Touchscreen panels ect. ect. Thing looks like more like Star Trek Enterprise. Warp factor 8 Scottie.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    At least SpaceX doesn't have to deal with the hand-wringers in Congress if something goes bad. They can go back to the drawing board and fix it and not wait on the liberal boo hooers to approve another flight. 

• Options
    Trump will be at the preview.
  • Options
    I realize they are trying to save money on the space suits but I wish they had at least put some red, white and blue strips on them or some kind of design. They look like city sewer workers in HAZMAT suits getting ready to go into a confined space. Those helmets looked like they were designed by the guy that made the face mask for the horror movie Scream. 
  • Options
    Oh well they just called off the mission today due to weather.
  • Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭✭
    Darn! They just scrubbed the launch....
    “What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    It was a field mill violation. That means too much lightning potential. Next try Saturday at 3:22 pm Eastern.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,331 ******
    "They" said it couldn't be done...and Space X successfully landed a primary rocket booster on a barge.
    "They" said it couldn't be done...and Space X successfully landed TWO primary rocket boosters simultaneously on a pad in FL.
    "They" said it couldn't be done...and Space X docked a privately funded commercial space vehicle with the ISS.
    "They" said it couldn't be done...and Space X developed a Space Suit which costs a fraction of NASA's suits.
    "They" said it couldn't be done...and Space X developed a viable commercial space program for a fraction of the cost of NASA.
    "They" said it couldn't be done...and today we will watch as Space X returns man to space on a US made rocket.
    Say what you will about Elon Musk and Space X, but they've sure put a lot of "they's" in fear of their jobs!
    What will "they" say about Space X...tomorrow?

Exactly FCD. NASA should not exist as a government entity.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Saturday..try again
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to watch this launch!
    10 years of overpaying the Russians to do the job the we should have been doing all along. Thank you Obammy! $90 million per seat each way up and back.
    Well, not any more! Space-X and Boeing (choke) will now step up to handle both the resupplies and astronaut switching.

Best.

Yep, chalk up another one for ole Big Ears. 
    Apparently some of Big Ears kin folks were not into the political Space kickback schemes, unless it was with the Russians. (the Russians that helped Trump get elected and shot down Hillary)

• Options
    Okie, it is going to shock a whole bunch of people to learn than when the Boeing craft starts flying, it'll cost at least $110 million - that's per launch, not per seat, though. AND, they'll be using the Atlas booster, which is a throw-away rocket that uses Russian engines. So we'll still be paying Russia to launch astronauts with the Boeing design.
  • Options
    Hopefully a green light today
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    Make America Great again and this Time President Trump is pulling it off! May The force be with us!
                                       serf
     Through divine providence God accomplishes His will. To ensure that His purposes are fulfilled, God governs the affairs of men and works through the natural order of things. The laws of nature are nothing more than God’s work in the universe. The laws of nature have no inherent power; rather, they are the principles that God set in place to govern how things normally work. They are only “laws” because God decreed them.

• Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Looks like a go in 10 minutes!

"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Missing hear you count it down Rocky!

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Well everything was going good and then they supposedly lost the feed to the landing of the 1st stage on the barge at the very second it landed? That's going to be raising some questions. Did it really happen? 
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    WooHoo! What a ride! Forget those Holly 4 barrels, I want one of those. 15000 mph. Nasa with the help of Spacex is back, screw the Russians. Bob
  • Options
    Smitty, they almost always lose the uplink at booster landing because the rocket exhaust moves the barge's transmit antenna dish. And they lose the camera link from the booster just before that because it goes beneath the horizon from the Cape tracking station. Nothing mysterious or sneaky about either.
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭
    this launch was as exiting as the first moon launch as a kid  yahoo
  • Options
    Landed perfectly on the barge.... Let the world see how we can do things.
  • Options
    Smitty, they almost always lose the uplink at booster landing because the rocket exhaust moves the barge's transmit antenna dish. And they lose the camera link from the booster just before that because it goes beneath the horizon from the Cape tracking station. Nothing mysterious or sneaky about either.
    Then I look forward to seeing the recording instead of the live feed since it didn't knock the camera out. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    That was, I think, the 51st or 52nd successful barge landing, plus almost a dozen on land back at the Cape. They missed a few for various reasons, all malfunctions of one kind or other but of the 83 Falcon9 launches to date, they've landed something like 60 of them successfully. Which is 60 more than any other entity that launches. (I'm not counting Space Shuttle solid boosters, which were recovered, but you can't say they landed under control except under parachutes.)
  • Options
    I'm not really interest in the other 51 successful landings. I just want to see this one. 
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
      Excellent job. Beautiful it was.
  • Options
    Hmmm... I distinctly recall on a recent launch they said they were hoping to make the 50th landing on a single booster's fifth flight, both milestones. And they missed it. They've flown at east one - with a good landing - since then. Disparity of number aside, NObody else has manged even one. I think that's one major reason why SpaceX will get a lot more crewed launch missions than Boeing (assuming they get their problems fixed well enough to fly any at all) -- they're going to be cheaper. A LOT cheaper. Even though NASA is willing to pay a premium to get new boosters each time from SpaceX and remain unwilling to fly crews on previously flown boosters, SpaceX is still going to cost something like one fourth Boeing's launch cost.
    NASA will still pay for Boeing's system, though. We've learned the very hard way that having only one flyable system is a huge mistake.
  • Options
    The downside of quoting from memory at age 73 is that anything more than 40 years ago is crystal clear, but stuff from 40 days ago is as murky as spring runoff in the Mizzipi River.

As for the 737, the regular version is just fine. It's the MAX that they tried to foist off as the same plane while in reality they ought to have given it a whole new designation and paid for the type approval of such. They thought they could outsmart the system because the Max looks a lot like the 737. But it isn't the same thing at all. I'll still happily fly a regular 737, but the Max is likely doomed to never fly passengers again.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    I watched it and enjoyed every second of it. It took a lot of failures to get to where they could land the boosters. Elon is a very dedicated man.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    The downside of quoting from memory at age 73 is that anything more than 40 years ago is crystal clear, but stuff from 40 days ago is as murky as spring runoff in the Mizzipi River.

As for the 737, the regular version is just fine. It's the MAX that they tried to foist off as the same plane while in reality they ought to have given it a whole new designation and paid for the type approval of such. They thought they could outsmart the system because the Max looks a lot like the 737. But it isn't the same thing at all. I'll still happily fly a regular 737, but the Max is likely doomed to never fly passengers again.
    Well keep buckled up... the assembly line is fired up. I won't get on one. Funny when Boeing came to SC, I met a Boeing Executive headed to St. Louis to their plant . Offered me a job in Charleston to train or as a source inspector in the south east. I passed and she insisted again on the tarmac when we got off. I simply told her all the past is  in the rear view mirror. I am two dimensional now....( My Wife and myself ) not  three dimensional ... ( add the company )  Link below about start up

• Options
    Docking this morning around 10.30 with space station
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭
    If you care to watch, I think this link get's you there. 
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/31/21270807/spacex-docking-crew-dragon-watch-live-stream-how-to-nasa-iss
    Looks like they're running a bit ahead of schedule. 
  • Options
    Hard dock confirmed. They'll now do various leak checks and umbilical connections before they can open the hatches on both sides.
  • Options
    They're having a hard time with one of their communication lines at this time.
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    NASA sux and has demonstrated it over the years..........time to move over and make room for companies like SPACE X...

I am not a huge fan of Musk.......but he just showed NASA how it's done.
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    we watched on her smart phone...WOW !!!!  now that was one should be seen on a BIG SCREEN TV......or 3D