In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sellers: What Is Your Policy On "Buyer's Remorse" Returns

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
The way I understand it, if the Gunbroker seller has marked the 3 day return option, the buyer has the right to return an item within 3 days of receiving for any reason or no reason at all.  Is that right?

The 3-day option is what I select, and I almost never get a return, so when I do get one, it kinda bothers me and makes me wonder.  Especially one like this:

Buye:  "I received the gun Wednesday. After inspecting it  am returning it.  This pistol does not function properly. Will be sending it back tomorrow."

Me:  "I plainly explained the gun’s foibles in its description.  Did you miss this? Or just ignore it?

'Timing and lockup are so-so. I test fired it, and it works fine in single and double action. However, I found that one chamber shaved a little lead, so I don't recommend shooting it.'

"Did you get that?  I DON’T RECOMMEND SHOOTING IT.   Did you shoot it?

"And you want to return it because it doesn’t function properly.  I told you in advance that it does not function properly.  So, for what reason are you returning it?"

He wrote:  "I have not fired this pistol. I read the description and terms several times. Had I missed something that would be on me. Nowhere in the description does it say “this firearm does not function properly” those are my words and you used them in your reply, if it had I would not have bid. As an internet buyer I rely on the seller for an accurate description of the item. You will be receiving the pistol in the same condition as it was sent."

It seems to me that my description was MUCH more specific and accurate than to simply state,  "It doesn't function properly."  What do you say? 

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I am sending his money back, shaking my head as I do.   The shaking my head part is because this knucklehead would rather have a vague statement of its condition than a specific statement describing a specific problem.

Fortunately, buyers like this guy are rare.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

If I were the seller, He would keep it.

He is going to leave you crap feedback for your trouble.

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭
    I would return the check, a three day return is a three day return.  Doesn't mean I might not call him up and call him up a &^%$%^^&*  *&^  (@#!@%$!!  
    No I wouldn't call him up.  Tearing someone a new one is almost always counter productive.  Not to mention it isn't being a good Christian.  So I wouldn't call him up but I might spend some time thinking about it.      >:)
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,686 ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes it is just easier to take things back, relist it and move on.    The headache of fighting with people is not worth it at all and things almost always do better the second time around.   Karma fixes things as it should be.   Whatever gives you the least frustration is the way to go....even if you are doing something you shouldn't have to. 
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    If I have a broken firearm that I don't want to repair I list it as a "PARTS GUN" with no return. Surprisingly they sometimes bring more than I expect them to. Other that that I usually offer a three day return and the buyer pays shipping both ways. Now if I screwed up somehow then I handle it however the buyer wants. Within reason of course.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭
    You know the old story too well about swapping parts and returning the gun so I dont need to go there. 
    Personally, I think your description is just. The buyer could have a different concept of the problem and probably does not understand what timing means in a revolver.

As a range master, I have had to ask people to quit shooting their Tauruses, RGs, and Llama revolvers because lead was hitting bystanders and fellow shooters. Told them to take their revolver to a smith and let them know you have a timing problem. When I mention timing, I get the deer in the headlight looks and quickly make them smart.  

I like Ricci's idea of parts gun.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    The few things I sell (rarely a gun and then a rifle) I sell "as is no returns"
    This in spite of most of what I sell is brand new as in say the current batches of FMJ 40/10MM projectiles
    I could just see if I offered returns someone saying, well I decided to sell my 40 so want to return these bullets and get shipping refunded as well.
    As is as wiped! :D
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    As "LOCUS FORK" says. Just the cost of doing business. Refund the selling price and move or. 
  • Options
    chiefr, as a rangemaster, I have been pelted and cut with lead fragments shaved by Smith & Wesson revolvers.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭

Cars and guns are sold as is and stated as such when I sell them and on the bill of sale in ALL CAPS. But that even doesn’t deter some people with buyers remorse. Sold a car a few months ago and got a call a week later asking for their money back because something broke (car was a 1998 Honda). Said nope, you had plenty of time to check out the car including me telling him he could at his expense take it to his mechanic to be checked out before buying it and told him to look at his signature next to the line on the bill of sale saying SOLD AS IS, NO RETURNS. As long as you’re truthful in your ad I wouldn’t take a gun back, especially considering the small margins you make and the bs to go through selling it. Gun shops don’t take guns back either....oh they’ll give you credit towards something else that’s more money but they aren’t refunding all your cash.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    After reading all the responses you are in a lose-lose situation.  If you take it back, the buyer gets his money back and could still bad mouth you.  If you do not take it back he could hurt you with bad feed back.  Me thinks if he pays shipping both ways and you relist the gun at least you get hit with an inconvenience rather than bad feed back.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    I sell very seldomly but when I do I allow returns minus shipping for any reason. Only fair way to do long distance selling. I have never had a gun returned. Other items I have.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Locust Fork. I sell a Lot of parts guns, All are sold as is. I try an tell them every thing that is wrong. But remember you can not satisfy everyone. Some times its easier to to take back. Others its easier to give them partial money back. The buyers that we deal with some times are not real bright.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    He should have known it needed work per ad.  I don't know what you sold but I bet it wasn't sold for what one in perfect shape would have sold for.  So the buyer got what he paid for.  If I see a FFL selling a gun needing work that throws up a red flag. IF they didn't repair it , keep your fingers off the bid button.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a gun seller, but I'd invoke the Bellybutton Rule: Everybody gets one - but only one. That buyer would get a courteous refund (AFTER you get the gun back in the same condition it was shipped out!) but he'd go on a "Never Again" list.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just a collector/shooter, so I don't accept charge cards when I sell a gun.  But, I give a 30 day return; buyer pays shipping both ways if "buyers regret".  If I have not described the gun accurately, or the gun does not work correctly, I cover shipping both ways in addition to the cost of the gun.  I just want to do what I think is the "right thing".
    Neal
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    select-fire wrote:

"If I see a FFL selling a gun needing work that throws up a red flag. IF they didn't repair it , keep your fingers off the bid button."

FFL does not equal "gunsmith."

Having a FFL does not confer any special gunsmithing skill on the licensee.  I can fix some things; others I cannot.  I am especially reluctant to work on a gun I am selling for someone else.
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
     A 20% restocking fee for buyers remorse should be justified if known issues were ignored and purchased anyway.
                                                                            serf
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    nunn said:
    select-fire wrote:

"If I see a FFL selling a gun needing work that throws up a red flag. IF they didn't repair it , keep your fingers off the bid button."

FFL does not equal "gunsmith."

Having a FFL does not confer any special gunsmithing skill on the licensee.  I can fix some things; others I cannot.  I am especially reluctant to work on a gun I am selling for someone else.

I can understand not working on it for someone else firearm. I realize all FFL's don't have the skill of a machinist or gunsmith. After repairing they could have in the firearm more than it is worth. Most likely so will the buyer.
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    seems like you're being more than fair
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,333 ******
    edited May 2020
    If you take returns and want to specify on what terms the returns will be accepted I would think you'd need to outline that in advance. If you don't take returns, I think it's pretty straight forward.

Folks with buyer's remorse can shove it.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Return 3 days on a broken hand gun is generous LOL, I would have listed as is no returns. As such it is what it is return the money get the gun back and move on
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!