In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bombardier to discontinue Evinrude outboard motors and Sea Doo sport boats

steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
This has been coming for awhile but now its official

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,461 ✭✭✭✭
    Back in the 70's I bought a Evinrude  9.9 that was a great motor I sold it just a couple years ago  and it still ran great
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    OMC corporation looked to the future and hid in the past.  they built good motors but the japanese built excellent ones and then along came the four strokes.  bombardier who bought out OMC thought they could continue to build the 2 strokes, good motors made lots of horsepower with less weight but people didnt want them.  but there are a lot of older OMC's out there that will run and give good service for a lot more years especially the smaller ones.  
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭
    Bombardier has sold off most of their holdings, they are still holding on to the production of three business class jets but have shed their interest in trains and all commercial aircraft.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭
    Most of my motors thru the years have been evenrude . Always good service from them
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    Flying Clay Disk wrote:
    and had another one which would start and run great...just enough to strand you miles from the dock, d then it wouldn't start no matter what you tried. 
    I had an Old Champion outboard engine that would do the same.
    Get out of sight of the boat ramp and the wind come up blowing hard from the direction you needed to go to get back to the ramp and it would not start. Had to really watch the wind direction and not kill the engine if the wind direction was from the boat ramp.  Adds new meaning to the term downstream with a good paddle. Had to keep a big trolling motor battery ready and sometimes still had to use the paddle.
    Get to the ramp and load the boat and it would start.
     I could repair OMC Evinrude/Johnson outboards blindfolded, still have few good ones, 40hp and down, but I stayed away from the old Merc's.  
    Several Edsels type outboards were around in the 70's-80's, such as OMC electric shift, Scot-Atwater, old Merc's and some air cooled engines that appears to ne Briggs lawn mower engines.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

I had one that gave me the same problem, would get hot and only ruin on two of the four cylinders . Finally found a crack in the distributor coil . Get hot it expanded enough to short out . Let cool and good to go for a while . Replaced coil fixed problem . It was an old electric shifty 100 hp . Used it for close to twenty years

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I Raced a 1975 CanAm MX2 250 with a Bombardier motor.  It was a good bike and got me into the 250 class. 

RLTW

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting I had a Evinrude 115 that ran forever, my mechanic told me to always use TC3 or something like that oil and high test gas, never had a problem.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    As far as I'm concerned they quit making Johnson and Evinrudes outboards when they started using plastic or fiberglass cowling and other plastic parts back in the 60s and even some in the late 50s. 

I've still got my old '66 Johnson 3hp Seahorse and my '57 model 5 1/2 hp Evinrude that are still running like they were 54 and 63 years ago respectively.

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    Savage-Still have mine!  These all had 2 piston rings but shortly there after they built them with only one :(
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a 40 HP mariner outboard new in 1985.It is a rebranded Yamaha.Still have it and it still runs like new.Changed the lower unit oil and impeller a few times and always used non ethanol gas. I hate to see great old names like Evinrude and Johnson go under.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    the 4 cyl  {85-140 hp} omc motors were very good in their day.  here on the gulf coast they were the motor of choice for many years.   Smitty, i have a 1957  7.5 like your blue one, still runs great.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    savage170 said:
    Back in the 70's I bought a Evinrude  9.9 that was a great motor I sold it just a couple years ago  and it still ran great
    I bought mine in the same time period......still got it & it runs perfect, easy to work on and replacement parts are plentiful  and fairly cheap.   :)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee