In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Secret Service is ditching .357 SIG for 9mm

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
Looks like all civilian government departments  are going to the 9mm luger round. Old story but worth repeating.
                                       serf

The United States Secret Service is moving forward with plans to outfit its agents with Glock 9 millimeter (mm) pistols to replace the agency's existing Sig Sauer .357-caliber duty weapons -- part of a larger move among U.S. law enforcement agencies towards the lighter, more efficient guns.

“The Secret Service has been one of the few agencies that has maintained Sig Sauer as a permanent duty weapon for more than 20 years,” said Donald J. Mihalek, a retired senior Secret Service agent and ABC News contributor.

The Secret Service and Glock declined to comment on the move, but a federal official with direct knowledge of the deal confirmed the agency's plan to switch to the Glock 9 mm pistols. Details of the new deal were recently posted on fedbizops.gov, the federal government's website for posting procurement opportunities above $25,000 for private sector companies.

Comments

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh well, the 357 SIG is a 9mm on steroids. Perhaps in the future they will rediscover the 40 or 45 as the wheel spins. Be looking for some good 357 trade-ins hopefully.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,704 ******
    Well, it isn’t a secret, any more.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,065 ******
    (in best JR. from smokey and the bandit, voice),  but daddy the .357 hurts our hands when we shoot it
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, ya gotta spend all your budget this year so you can whine to get it increased next year. Also is standard law enforcement practice.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a G32 in 357 SIG.  It is my carry gun in the winter and I like it. 

BUT

When I was putting it through its paces I took it in my basement and shot it into some phone books to see how loud it was and let me tell you it was very loud.  Much louder than a 9 or a 45, it was like a short barreled 357 magnum revolver.  I always shoot some rounds with my CC gun without ear plugs to see how loud its going to be both inside and outside.  I would be hesitant to shot the gun indoors without ear protection more than a few times.

I will say though the 357 SIG is a very potent round.  I believe the air marshals carry it too.  I would not think it would be a good round to use in an aircraft.
    RLTW

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

I believe the PA Game Commission still carries Glocks chamberd in 357Sig.