In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Conflicting rifle models in older Western movie

nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
I think I've seen more older western movies recently on late night than ever before. Most I've never seen before so it's new entertainment for me.

Late last night I was watching GRIT when 'Ride the High Country' came on. Good actors and a very young Mariette Hartley starred in this one. During the inevitable shootout though, a particular sound caught my attention, semi-auto rapid fire. Now attentive to locate the source of said sound, the camera came to rest on Warren Oates (bad guy) shooting... a Remington Model 8! Then it panned to another bad guy shooting a Winchester Model 1895! Being uniquely designed firearms, I don't think I'm incorrect.

These were both expensive rifles at the time of their release. So I question them being in the hands of criminals especially in what seems to be the wrong time frame for that movie. The Model 8 did sound like it had a larger capacity magazine since Oates was shown firing it more than the 5-shot capacity of the magazine. But it finally ran out of ammunition so he threw it aside. The 1895 was only fired a few times and by actuating the lever correctly.

Does anyone know the time frame of the movie and does it coincide with the release dates of both rifle?

Best.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    For S & G, I ran both Rem Model 8, and "Ride the High Country", through Wikipedia. The movie supposedly, was dated to the early years of the 20th Century. The Model 8, to 1905.  

Re the above, it would be not out of line, ( time frame wise ). For the Rem Model 8 to have been used.

Regarding dramatic license, in the old western movies. Never forget the one in which a Lewis Gun, was one of the firearms used. Although it would have been almost impossible, to have obtained a Lewis Gun. Till post World One, (after 1918).
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭
    I like movies pre 1890 using model 92 rifles
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    A little more mundane, but I noticed "The Big Valley" has a habit of using Marlin 336 rifles, complete with the black & white "bulls eye" on the stock.  Noticed it when someone crouched down to work the action, the lower edge of the stock faced the camera directly.  Same rifle kept showing up again and again in separate episodes.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    mac10 said:
    I like movies pre 1890 using model 92 rifles
    At least they tried in some movies by removing the forearm and brass plating the receivers to look like a Henry. :)

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    John Wayne was especially careful and critical of which firearms were used in the movies he was in.
    John Milius, writer, director, producer, used so many arms and firearms in his movies that he bought a huge rental company know for weapons rentals. He always tried to maintain historic accuracy with regard to the weapons chosen.
    Best.

• Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I remember a movie with Errol Flynn as a Union cavalry officer at the First Battle of Manassas Junction. His men were cheating by using Trapdoor carbines. It was probably "They Died With Their Boots On". Following Custer from 1857 to his death.
  • Options
    cash777cash777 Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    There is an internet movie firearms database you can use to find out firearms used in movies 7 listed for ride the high country with the actors who used them