In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Besides economic discrimination and lack of reparations,

SoreShoulderSoreShoulder Member Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭
Another possible reason for the disparity in wealth between whites and blacks is the fact that some blacks seem to have the cultural belief that they should curry favor for themselves in their community by keeping their money well spent.  It probably won them a lot of support back when nobody liked them and nobody had to like them. 

And hey, more power to them.  It helps the economy.  It's just that it's a little unfair to the rest of us to have to take the blame for all of the disparity when only some of it is due to racism and discrimination.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    A wise old grandfather of a friend of mine once said that a successful Black American forgoes the ways of his African past and adopts the ways of the white American, (see Ben Carson, Clarence Thomas and Frederick Douglas).  Seems like the Chinese were treated worse than the slaves of 200 years ago they got it.  The Vietnamese refugees got it in the 1970's.   But somehow, I as a white guy is fully responsible for Black American actions today. 
    Ben Shapiro said it well.  to succeed in America, race is irrelevant, simply graduate high school, do not have children out of wedlock and do not commit violent or other felonious crimes.  If you do these three things the math is in your favor. 

It also helps to stop whining about the past look to the future and work your ever loving * off to get where you want to be in life.
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    41.6% of blacks are in at least one govt program in a given month....welfare has 79 different programs......of 2016  welfare monies $77.8 BILLION  were not filed right or were fraud ...all colors inclusive while watching protests i wonder why these masses of people are not working or have to time to get out and participate in the "peaceful" demonstrations ....  whining for freebies and passing guilt is easier than going to work unless it is cold snow or rain ????
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    There are social pressures in urban areas that those of us who do not live with will probably never understand.   There are areas where urban society has broken down, and the children in those areas will not gain the same opportunities as others with the same amount of effort.
    Ben Shapiro was not born in Chicago's Black Belt, and while he may believe race to be irrelevant, the geography of race deals some a much worse hand to start with than others.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭
    There are social pressures in urban areas that those of us who do not live with will probably never understand.   There are areas where urban society has broken down, and the children in those areas will not gain the same opportunities as others with the same amount of effort.
    Ben Shapiro was not born in Chicago's Black Belt, and while he may believe race to be irrelevant, the geography of race deals some a much worse hand to start with than others.
    The urban areas are like what they because of the issues raised by bpost.  I am tired of excuses by everyone that did not have things handed to them. 

I started growing up in a thirs floow tenement because my mother lost her first husband in WW2 and had a two year old at the time.  She had to marry my father because there was no welfare at the time.  My father was a no good drunk that got arrested for beating my mother in the 50's when no men were arrested for that.  My mother threw my father out and worked three jobs to support us.  My grandmother watched us so my mother could work.  My grandmother was an old French lady you never talked back to and you learned repect.  I volunteered for Vietnam when the draft was still in effect and I left for bootcamp five days after graduating HS.  Did my four yours got out and stayed in reserves for another six years while I worked 40-50 hours a week and usually took 12 credits a semester in college.  Back then we got a whole $325 a month for GI benefits of which $200 went for rent.  I completed my Bachelors and then went on to get my Doctorate and no one paid for any of it but ME.

I am so tired of hearing about how hard they have it!!
  • Options
    SW0320 said:
    The urban areas are like what they because of the issues raised by bpost.  I am tired of excuses by everyone that did not have things handed to them. 

I started growing up in a thirs floow tenement because my mother lost her first husband in WW2 and had a two year old at the time.  She had to marry my father because there was no welfare at the time.  My father was a no good drunk that got arrested for beating my mother in the 50's when no men were arrested for that.  My mother threw my father out and worked three jobs to support us.  My grandmother watched us so my mother could work.  My grandmother was an old French lady you never talked back to and you learned repect.  I volunteered for Vietnam when the draft was still in effect and I left for bootcamp five days after graduating HS.  Did my four yours got out and stayed in reserves for another six years while I worked 40-50 hours a week and usually took 12 credits a semester in college.  Back then we got a whole $325 a month for GI benefits of which $200 went for rent.  I completed my Bachelors and then went on to get my Doctorate and no one paid for any of it but ME.

I am so tired of hearing about how hard they have it!!
    I think most people save for the race baiters understand that the problem is caused internally and can only truly be solved internally.   Doesn't change the fact that it is harder to climb out of some areas than others, particularly when from day one you are raised with the idea that you are not responsible for your own future.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry but you don’t think I had the same thing with a drunken father beating my mother and we were looked down on by all the neighbors. Also in HS I wanted to go into the College track because the counselor knew my background I had him actually say to me I was not college material.  My response to all of these people is I will show you that they are the a**holes not me.  I do not consider my self special but I simply had the determination that I was going to live my life better than my father and there were no counselors back then to help me figure that out like they spend billions of dollars on today.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Right on Don, kinda of.  He is a NYC Jew wearing a yarmulke, death threats are a part of his life, often, common and serious.  Opportunities are created and taken advantage of in life.  The schools are there, the money is being spent by the ton.  I can't fix the past but refuse to accept the past as the way forward.
    I was in the Black Zone of Chicago in the late 1970's, the peak of the murders in that Windy city.  I saw first hand how people determined to not fail made the American Dream happen, determination made the difference.  I saw the South Side and West side of Chicago, I was there every day.  I lived it as part of my job, I saw horror and did my job.  I saw the shooting victims, the accused shooters.  I was  accosted by black thugs across from the Henry Horner homes having my life threatened over a quarter.  Thank God above for a Saturday night special derringer that kept me from attack.
    I refuse to believe that circumstance preordains outcome.  The human desire to overcome and move forward, not looking to the past will let one get past it.

I had $1,247,000 stolen from me in 2000-2001, It shocked me to the core, it ate my guts out, it literally destroyed all I had worked for all of my life, I was 42 and ready to retire.  It HURT, it is mind numbing beyond words.  Rather than burning down buildings, looting liquor stores, robbing Target and Walmart or selling drugs I got back up and went to work; the one thing I could still do. 
    Work is good, excuses are useless. Reasons are understandable but at what point do they become excuses for ones behavior and at what point is violence against innocents justified for something that did not happen to you?

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Education... lack of... only 1 in the aerospace shop I worked...
  • Options
    SW0320 said:
    Sorry but you don’t think I had the same thing with a drunken father beating my mother and we were looked down on by all the neighbors. Also in HS I wanted to go into the College track because the counselor knew my background I had him actually say to me I was not college material.  My response to all of these people is I will show you that they are the a**holes not me.  I do not consider my self special but I simply had the determination that I was going to live my life better than my father and there were no counselors back then to help me figure that out like they spend billions of dollars on today.
    Individuals raise out of these situations and areas all of the time.  We are not faced with problems from motivated individuals, we are faced with a cultural problem that discourages all but the most motivated.  There are individuals doing it today, just like you did.  Were it the norm, the problem would cure itself over a couple of generations.  This is not norm and until, frankly, those in these areas find a way to reconstitute the family unit, I fear it will not become the norm.  

Brad Steele
  • Options
    bpost said:

Right on Don, kinda of.  He is a NYC Jew wearing a yarmulke, death threats are a part of his life, often, common and serious.  Opportunities are created and taken advantage of in life.  The schools are there, the money is being spent by the ton.  I can't fix the past but refuse to accept the past as the way forward.
    I was in the Black Zone of Chicago in the late 1970's, the peak of the murders in that Windy city.  I saw first hand how people determined to not fail made the American Dream happen, determination made the difference.  I saw the South Side and West side of Chicago, I was there every day.  I lived it as part of my job, I saw horror and did my job.  I saw the shooting victims, the accused shooters.  I was  accosted by black thugs across from the Henry Horner homes having my life threatened over a quarter.  Thank God above for a Saturday night special derringer that kept me from attack.
    I refuse to believe that circumstance preordains outcome.  The human desire to overcome and move forward, not looking to the past will let one get past it.

I had $1,247,000 stolen from me in 2000-2001, It shocked me to the core, it ate my guts out, it literally destroyed all I had worked for all of my life, I was 42 and ready to retire.  It HURT, it is mind numbing beyond words.  Rather than burning down buildings, looting liquor stores, robbing Target and Walmart or selling drugs I got back up and went to work; the one thing I could still do. 
    Work is good, excuses are useless. Reasons are understandable but at what point do they become excuses for ones behavior and at what point is violence against innocents justified for something that did not happen to you?

I also refuse to believe that circumstances preordains outcome.  When every prominent Democrat in the country is telling an entire subset of our economy that they cannot make it on their own, however, many will believe it, as it is the easiest path, even it if is a dead end.  
    Reasons are understandable and become excuses unless corrections are made.  
    Violence is never justified, but sadly I think the lesson learned over the past couple of weeks is that whitey didn't do squat until we looted 5th Avenue.  If our society rewards violence, it becomes justified.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    bpost said:

I also refuse to believe that circumstances preordains outcome.  When every prominent Democrat in the country is telling an entire subset of our economy that they cannot make it on their own, however, many will believe it, as it is the easiest path, even it if is a dead end.  
    Reasons are understandable and become excuses unless corrections are made.  
    Violence is never justified, but sadly I think the lesson learned over the past couple of weeks is that whitey didn't do squat until we looted 5th Avenue.  If our society rewards violence, it becomes justified.

Acceptable with DEMOCRAT ideology is the breakdown of the nuclear family and destruction of culture. 
     It is the same DEMOCRATs that brand anyone a racist who attempts have a positive conversations on how to deal with these issues and offer any solutions dead in its tracks. 

Statistics on divorce rates, numbers of children being raised in single parent homes by race and ethnicity speak for themselves.

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭
    I was born with nothing and still have most of it! Don
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    i can breathe....but i sure can EAT.........
  • Options
    MrMag00MrMag00 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    So what? Others have it even tougher and manage to rise above it. Just lame excuses. With the internet and ready available information there is no reason for this behavior, other than the "poor me" victim card. Take the card away, make them stand on their own feet, give them some dignity and self worth for accomplishing something, maybe even let people reap and keep the rewards they create.  

So as long as you believe those lies, you just may be part of the problem. God does not hand out more than you can handle. God loves everyone. So maybe...

You lambast Ben, maybe you could look up Candace Owens. #realcandaceo on twitter. 

"I'm not a Billionaire like Trump, and Oprah, and Gates etc. I guess I'll burn my house down in protest". Give me a break. 
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    I wonder why so many races come to the USA and pass them like a rocket ship.
    70% unwed births will ALWAYS have consequences.
    Spend 30 years picking up after the clown show then you'll see BLM is BS
    I dead criminal = MELTDOWN
    24 KIA 85 shot just  days before floyd the criminal POS
    https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/6/1/21275944/chicago-weekend-shootings-most-violent-weekend-2020-may-29-june-1
    NOTHING to see here because it PROVES they are a s*** show. 
    Lies before lives is the BLM motto.