In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How many more years before the Second Amendment is gone??

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,783 ✭✭✭✭
The title says it all.  With the constant anti-gun attacks pushed on the people of this country by the commie/lib media how much longer before the 2nd is history??

Comments

• medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    My personal opinion (and it is just that) is that the anti-gun groups know they cannot get rid of the 2A outright at this juncture.  There would be no way to enforce that change and too many people would not surrender their firearms.  No POTUS wants to be the one to go down in history as having citizens killed by the LEOs or Military over a change in the Constitution.
    I think the anti-gun groups have learned to take small bites and focus on demonizing weapons for the younger generation so that eventually the 2A can be repealed with minimal or no opposition.
    Think about how few younger kids are into hunting or sport shooting.  Those numbers have dropped over the years.  Each year I hunt I see the same old coots like me up in the hills.  Very few new faces.  Even their grandkids are not interested in hunting or the outdoors in general.  They are a tech savvy generation.
    While the antis have been making strides to go after firearms, this spring set them back on the haunches a bit I think.  Liberals who would not have dreamed of owning a firearm stood in lines for hours to get a handgun because they suddenly realized the government was incapable of protecting them when large scale chaos ensued.
  • DaveH196803DaveH196803 Member Posts: 41
    edited June 2020
    They've as much as said that they would pack the supreme court. So, my guess is next time they have the presidency and control of both sides of congress they'll jam things through Obamacare style. Pack the court so any possible legal challenge on constitutional grounds wouldn't be considered by a biased court, then pass draconian gun laws at the federal level.
    Pure speculation, but if I were a true believer on the gun control side of the spectrum, I'd advise their top candidates to stay quiet on second amendment issues until they have that level of control like they did twelve years ago, and follow that playbook.
  • mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭
    buy stainless last longer if ya have to hide it
    edited June 2020
    Hide them? While old and arthritic and I have no Walter Mitty like unshakable belief in my ability to summon my three decades old Army training, the far lefts new brownshirts have shown a willingness, in fact eagerness to randomly attack innocent people. The local authorities where this happens minimize, deflect the truth of this, or actively cheer it on. The police? Forced to the sidelines by a combination of strict rules of engagement and the fact that any legit action on their part will be deemed "racist" in a public kangaroo court. If the time comes where the Federal government is as lopsided as the government in those cities, the last thing anyone should do is divest themselves of any of their firearms. No matter what.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,471 ✭✭✭✭
    The 2nd Amendment is already gone.
    We have politicians and courts stating their support for a clear and unqualified right, yet qualify it with every opening of their mouths and stroke of their pens.  We have gun advocacy groups and gun owners supporting the 1934 NFA, and the FOPA of 1986 because the acceptance of such things is just necessary to preserve what we have.
    The incorporation of the 2nd under 'Due Process' considerations under Heller and McDonald stripped all pretense that it actually codified a right of the people.  Rights of the people are not preemptively restricted through licensing, registration and regulation.
    So, in short, we no longer have 2nd Amendment rights.  We have firearm ownership privileges granted to us by benevolent governments who reserve the power to remove our ability to have firearms anywhere but inside our homes at their whim.   
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
    Heh. That's some Dean Vernon level truth bombing right there.  :)
  • 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭
    Don, I fear you are correct. The other side will continue to take advantage of incrementalism. For three terms I have fought King Cuomo, with letters, e-mails, phone calls and walking the halls of Legislative Office Bldg. Cuomo rules with a Iron Fist, Executive Orders, Message of Necessity. He is a Tyrant and tramples on the Rule of Law. I am sorry I have failed and we are preaching to the choir. I only know of one option left. If I spelled it out here I would be considered "Reckless" by some.
    edited June 2020
    Don, I fear you are correct. The other side will continue to take advantage of incrementalism. For three terms I have fought King Cuomo, with letters, e-mails, phone calls and walking the halls of Legislative Office Bldg. Cuomo rules with a Iron Fist, Executive Orders, Message of Necessity. He is a Tyrant and tramples on the Rule of Law. I am sorry I have failed and we are preaching to the choir. I only know of one option left. If I spelled it out here I would be considered "Reckless" by some.
    I confess to giving up on my once home state of Washington, 4205raymond.  When the citizens voted for universal background checks, I knew it was a losing battle, as we are still getting an influx of people leaving California who seam to only want to create a more northerly version.  To some extent we can still vote with our feet, but as tyrannical pressures mount from national interest groups, the dominoes will continue to fall.  
    The option of which you speak will be viable so long as bastions of freedom still exist in this country.  As they are slowly whittled down by those who do not and apparently will never understand freedom, anyone who believes in individual liberty will be considered reckless and a threat.

Brad Steele
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If gun owners particularly in the states where their gun rights have been compromised or taken away, would be doing the same dam thing the DEMOCRATs are doing right now, their 2A rights would not be circling the drain. 
    Gun owners themselves are a big part of the problem.  Crickets chirped in WA, CA, CO, etc when DEMOCRATs passed egregious gun laws.
  • 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭
    chiefr said:
    If gun owners particularly in the states where their gun rights have been compromised or taken away, would be doing the same dam thing the DEMOCRATs are doing right now, their 2A rights would not be circling the drain. 
    Gun owners themselves are a big part of the problem.  Crickets chirped in WA, CA, CO, etc when DEMOCRATs passed egregious gun laws.
    So true, Often you hear "we are out numbered" but if more Gunners had gotten off their butts on election night King Cuomo would be a footnote in history instead of Governor today. He was elected by smallest turnout in history for Governor.
    Many people are still somehow asleep to what is going on in America. They have an unshakable belief that those sorts of things can't happen here, regardless of daily evidence to the contrary. They act as though the levels of freedom, peace, and prosperity the US has enjoyed compared to other parts of the world is automatic. It dropped out of the sky like mana from heaven. Oh no,  nobody worked hard for it, made it happen or anything like that. It doesn't require any action to maintain, it just popped in to being and is in their view, eternal.
    If you say anything to pop that bubble, you can get looked at like you're some caricatured Burt Gummer type with a foil hat that's a couple sizes too tight.
    Speaking of Burt Gummer, I'll bet the actual die hard prepper types I used to know years ago have schadenboners the size of telephone poles right about now considering the epic amount of I told you so's they could deliver to various people they talked to over the years.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,253 ******
    We have politicians and courts stating their support for a clear and unqualified right, yet qualify it with every opening of their mouths and stroke of their pens.  We have gun advocacy groups and gun owners supporting the 1934 NFA, and the FOPA of 1986 because the acceptance of such things is just necessary to preserve what we have.
    The incorporation of the 2nd under 'Due Process' considerations under Heller and McDonald stripped all pretense that it actually codified a right of the people.  Rights of the people are not preemptively restricted through licensing, registration and regulation.
    So, in short, we no longer have 2nd Amendment rights.  We have firearm ownership privileges granted to us by benevolent governments who reserve the power to remove our ability to have firearms anywhere but inside our homes at their whim.   

We haven't had the 2nd, since the Miller decision.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain

We haven't had the 2nd, since the Miller decision.
    For those that do not know, the Miller decision (in general) codified the 1934 NFA as Constitutional.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/307/174

It is a deeply flawed decision, and is largely challenged by Scalia's decoupling of the prefatory and operative clauses of the 2nd.  Scalia infamously went on to reference the legality of licensing of individuals and regulation of firearm types, which effectively neutered any positive outcome of the decoupling, of course.
    The bottom line is that SCOTUS Justices are not necessarily any smarter or anchored in the Constitution as the average person, particularly when politics and emotion are injected into an opinion.

Brad Steele
    The 2A is dead for another reason. In the current paradigm of 2020, where an officer of the law can be charged with felony murder for doing his job and potentially face the death penalty, one has to wonder what could happen to an ordinary citizen who had to use force in a home defense scenario, and the alleged perpetrator was anything other than a white guy.

• MrMag00MrMag00 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    Not just 2a, the entire constitution is dead, DED Dead, and I told you so quite a few years ago, but not from my bunker. 

I have a feeling we may not make it to 2021. I'm ready to rock today.