In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

51st State ............

gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in Politics

WASHINGTON (AP) — Democrats controlling the House have slated a vote next week to make the District of Columbia the 51st state, an issue that they say has become far more important in the aftermath of protests for racial justice in both Washington and across the nation.

Next Friday’s vote, if successful, would pass a D.C. statehood bill for the first time in the House, but the legislation faces insurmountable opposition in the GOP-controlled Senate. It comes even as the COVID-19 pandemic has forced delays in the consideration of most other legislation. More than enough lawmakers are officially backing the bill for it to pass. In 1993, the Democratic-controlled Congress defeated a D.C. statehood bill by an almost 2-1 margin.

What A Horse Bucket !  :D>:)> Dems Pandering To The Headlines... Again.

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    edited June 2020
    I wonder if they've considered, even for one moment, why it isn't one. And whether they actually want it to be a state with the current white house occupant.

And they conveniently forget that it requires constitutional amendment to change its status.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Sure they will push it, if D.C and Puerto Rico both became states that would forever give the Democratic party 4 Senators, then if that works possibly American Samoa will come along too.  Obama may have been right in his count after all...... :s

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    DEMOCRATs have been trying to make DC a state merely to gain 2 senators. Fathers never intended DC to be a state, but then again, we see the DEMOCRATs and their allies in the media could care less about what the founding fathers intended.

DEMOCRATs are presently, and with the encouragement of their allies in the media, using the Covid pandemic and the Floyd unrest to take down statutes of our founding fathers and other historical figures they dont like.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,653 ******
    I say go for it and let DC have northern Virginia.