In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

French Revolver ??

jpcjpc Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
Proof Marks  * over E      .  G in a Circle  ~~possibly   de l'Etat
Bore approx   41 cal or 10.7 mm
Six shot double action
Barrel 5 3/4"

Anyone recognize it?

thanks for the help

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    " * E ", is usually found on Belgian made firearms. rather than French. It's a inspectors marking. There are usually other proof marks, as well. Along with the inspectors marking.

In the 50 years between 1864 & 1914, Belgium had a very active commercial firearms industry. Probably the largest in Europe. Lot of their hand guns, were knock-offs,  of high quality English revolvers. 

I will go through my references, to see if I can find a similar revolver to yours.
  • jpcjpc Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    Thank you--was really hoping for French ☺

I will continue looking as well

• chmechme Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭
    See the source image
    This was one of the typical proofmarks of the Liege, Belgium proof house
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    Type known as a Lefaucheux.  Likely a pinfire revolver, or may have been converted to centerfire.  Dr Google is your friend.
    Neal
    Hello and thanks again for the leads

take care
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    That time period in Belgium, they were pretty free using others designs. As Neal stated, I can see features from the Lefaucheux, and the French MAS 1873, maybe even some from a Nagant. I don't believe this was a pinfire conversion by the looks of it, could be, but I don't think so. Most likely made as a center fire or rimfire, by the quality.
    In agreement with you on being built as a center fire.  I can see no evidence of any conversions or frame modifications.
    Will post pictures of any and all markings--unfortunately there are no names on it.
    Likely a Liege product as mentioned. 

Found proofs/inspector marks on the barrel and front and rear of the cylinder.
    No other markings I could find.
    Looks to be Belgian
    Any thoughts on Year of manufacture range??

thanks again all

Barrel Markings

Cylinder Markings

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Oval with "ELG", proof mark.  Dates it to the Black Powder era, prior to the early 1890's. When smokeless powder proofing was instituted. A crown was added to the proof, on top of the oval.
    Great info and thanks again

Would the other marks/stampings be inspectors etc
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    A pretty thing.  Belgian for sure. Missing the extractor assembly.  I don't see the exact type in Zhuk but he couldn't list everything.  
    Thanks she is fancy for sure and the extractor rod is missing in action.  The bracket and spring are still intact.

Looks like an easy part to replicate ☺
This discussion has been closed.