In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Son and a friend are looking for some vacation info...

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in General Discussion
about places to stay and local eateries in Niagara Falls, Myrtle Beach, someplace in Florida, and South Padre Island come this September, especially near or on the beach.  Anyone here who might have some tips along these lines please pass it on to me for him!!!

Thank you!
What's next?

Comments

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Late September would be OK for Myrtle Beach. Like sardines there through he summer.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    When I go to Myrtle I stay way down in Surfside at the Surfside Inn out of the mess mostly and still close enough to everything
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    Tell them to take their passports to Niagara Falls. Much more to do and better views on the Canadian side.  We stay either at Best Western Riverside on NY side or BW cairn Croft on Canadian side. Both are short walk/bike/drive into the parks.  

No no trip to niagara is complete without going in to buffalo and deciding four yourself who has the better wings,Duff’s orAnchor Bar.  Both claim to have invented hot wings.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭✭
    We used to go to the Outer Banks of NC, usually around the Duck area. We always went before the summer season started in May or after the summer in September. There are usually a lot fewer people there and it is easier to get around. The houses are tremendous with pools, pool tables, all the appliances, and pretty much everything you need except food and clothing. A lot of the pools there have a sign that says "Welcome to our ool. You'll notice there is no "P" in it, please keep it that way."
    Duck Deli was one of our favorite eating establishments. If you want to spend the money you can get a house right on the ocean, or on the sound side. A very neat area with a lot of historical things to see.
    They also have a lot of wild horses that descended from the Spaniards, that roam free. They used to be seen in the towns on the north end, but I understand they are now fenced in at the northern end of the banks. We used to go there almost every year, but haven't been back for several years now due to old age on our part.
    There is also a seafood resturant down the coast a ways called Dirty Dicks. They sell t-shirts that say "I got crabs from Dirty Dicks" I wanted to get one, but my wife had a hissy fit, so I came home without it.
    Joe
  • Options
    This is really great information and the exact type that he is looking to learn more about.   Our thanks to each of you.   Have a great day!!!
    What's next?
  • Options
    Question:  Anyone familiar with small town resort area on the coast of Maine?
    What's next?
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    mogley98 said:
    When I go to Myrtle I stay way down in Surfside at the Surfside Inn out of the mess mostly and still close enough to everything
    We were staying at a new Holiday Inn at Surfside Beach back in June of 1980. I awoke to a storm taking place one morning and looked out the window and the palm trees were being blown away, the pool furniture was also gone with the wind. I turned the TV on and they were reporting calm winds and clear skies. When it was over there were 48 cars in the parking lot with broken windows and ours was one of them. It was just a lone tornado that went across our motel and no other places were damaged. They found umbrellas and pool furniture 2 miles away. 
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    One addition IF they stay near south Myrtle/Surfside Dagwoods deli on old 17 is awesome, my niece works there so I might be biased but the Pastrami on grilled rye is to dye for, piled high and lean, no fat stringers and cooked perfectly.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Grover's in East Amherst NY used to make a great Buffalo burger. It's located 20 miles or so East of Buffalo/the falls.
    Named after Grover Cleveland's hunting lodge which is now the restaurant.
    • Address: 9160 Transit Rd, East Amherst, NY 14051
    • Phone: (716) 636-1803
    EDIT: Top, I fired up a few more brain cells and remembered that Grover's also offers 'Cheeseburger Soup'.  I haven't had the pleasure, but hear it's good.  Perhaps your son and/or friend will report on this. 

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

I love Florida& I have lived here 3 times.

Florida:

Pensacola Beach, Navarre & Destin.

My wife is from Pensacola & in-laws still live there.

Generally affordable, laid back, good affordable golf and RV and camping friendly. Look around the “National Seashore, or Grayton Beach State Park.

If they are high rollers, “30A” near Destin is the place to be. I have a friend who owns an Air bnb on 30A that goes for 5K a week.

I went to college in Daytona Beach, now a days “Palm Coast” has blown up with condos , but Ormond beach is still nice, laid back and affordable. Daytona is kind of famous for dog friendly beaches and you can even drive your truck onto the beach.

I stay at the Delta Hotel if Im in the area its a Marriott property. Close to the boardwalk. EXCELLENT competitive shooting at Volusia County Gun Club not too far away. I consider this my “home range” for USPSA.

Crystal River & Homosassa-

They call this area “real Florida” and I agree. Kayak or dive with manatees, fish, or go scalloping. Its all beautiful and fun, not over run with money. I was there this weekend.

This photo is not altered:

Anna Maria Island- In my opinion, their trip dates are too close to peak season to visit ClearWater. Anna Maria Island or AMI is beautiful, family friendly and not yet stacked with multi-million dollar condos. Excellent fishing. Bicycles are the preferred mode of transportation & you will miss the best beachea if you are looking for a place to park. Charter a boat to Egmont Key. It is unreal, then sit in your hotel room and watch a sunset or enjoy a thunderstorm rolling in.

I was there 3 weeks ago, we stayed at the waterline hotel (a Marriott property with 27 rooms). Real Beach food & endless fun. The hotel has its own marina with access to the gulf. I think Air Bnb is probably another good way to go. Many include golf carts to get you around the island. Longboat @ Siesta Key are similar and just south, but connecting.

The Florida Keys. Impossibly beautiful, spend as much or as little as you want. My family prefers Marathon Key. It gives access to Key West & Islamadora with a good balance of price. Fly into Miami, rent a jeep, drop the top & drive down. Excellent shooting just before the Keys in Homestead FL @Homestead Training Center. Divers love Key Largo. I have stayed in Key Largo for matches in Homestead. If they can score a cabin at Bahai Honda state park they can snorkel for lobster as the sunsets. My boys in the pic below. There is also a Residence Inn on Marathon key that is the best priced hotel for what you get in all of Florida in my opinion.

Orlando-

Will take Careful planning with the theme parks but they want business. I think the best hidden gem in Orlando right now is

Carib Royal- we “staycationed” last month for $160 a night in a 2 bedroom suite with a full kitchen. 10 minutes to Disney & 10 minutes to Seaworld. 15 minutes to “restaurant row” in Orlando. So many things to experience in Orlando. I happen to live here now.

Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete is a great area & I love it there as well. I stay at the Hitlon in St Pete or on Clearwater. Shoot @Guncraft in Ruskin or Wyoming Antelope Club in Clearwater. Its easy to enjoy your stay, charter a boat to watch dolphins and emjoy the beach, I tend to go in Dec-February when you have the place to yourself.

if there is an area in Florida they are interested in let me know. If I haven’t spent a weekend there I will go and report back.

I did enjoy Niagra Falls and yes bring a passport, but in my opinion- Niagara falls is a destination, Florida is a vacation! To be fair, I have only been there on business travel.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Mogley98:  Thanks for the update.

"D"  Many thanks to you, too, old friend!  I just checked the site out and I must say my mouth's watering for one of their burgers, and with the son being a huge baseball fan...he and his friend might make the 20 mile drive to Grover's!

Smitty:  I know what you mean...being raised in hurricane country they can swoop in and out in no time it seems!
    What's next?
  • Options
    Warbirds...killer post, man.  Thank you for taking the time to put this together.  He will like the tips and pics!!!
    What's next?
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    Have friends in Destin, it's hard to beat for beautiful beaches and water.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options

Thank you, Mark! He's working on he Florida leg right now!!!

James

What's next?
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

My favorite on the Maine Coast is Boothbay Harbor. I've also been to Ogunquit, Stonington Isl. Bar Harbor/Acadia and up and down the coast about 11-13 times. I love it up there. Excellent food, lots to do and see. Whalewatching cruises, fishing charters, kayaking etc. Gorgeous scenery, friendly people. Highly recommend.

• Options

My favorite on the Maine Coast is Boothbay Harbor. I've also been to Ogunquit, Stonington Isl. Bar Harbor/Acadia and up and down the coast about 11-13 times. I love it up there. Excellent food, lots to do and see. Whalewatching cruises, fishing charters, kayaking etc. Gorgeous scenery, friendly people. Highly recommend.

Thanks, Ken.  The son will like this.
    What's next?
  • Options

My Son and I have had many, many nice vacations up there. (Ex Wife and I went up there on our honeymoon and subsequent vacations after that.)

I have done Solo's on The BMW dual sport touring machine, up there camping. Another 14 day Sea Kayaking tour, offshore from island to island.

Lots of great seaside campsites up there.

PM me for more specific information if he chooses to go that direction. I have files with not only campgrounds but the best specific campsites on the site available.

I loved every day of my time up there. Over and over.

The best Vacations I have ever had.

Great seafood, from seaside shacks, and on the dock fighting off seagulls, to excuisite restaurants.

• Options

My Son and I have had many, many nice vacations up there. (Ex Wife and I went up there on our honeymoon and subsequent vacations after that.)

I have done Solo's on The BMW dual sport touring machine, up there camping. Another 14 day Sea Kayaking tour, offshore from island to island.

Lots of great seaside campsites up there.

PM me for more specific information if he chooses to go that direction. I have files with not only campgrounds but the best specific campsites on the site available.

I loved every day of my time up there. Over and over.

The best Vacations I have ever had.

Great seafood, from seaside shacks, and on the dock fighting off seagulls, to excuisite restaurants.

It looks like they are going to make it there, Ken.  Thanks for the continuing information.   I'll pass it on.  They will only have a couple of days, and I do know they will want to have a view of the water.
    What's next?
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Maine is closed right now.  They now have Democrat Gov. who has said no out of staters allowed unless you Quarantine for 14 days.  OPS Officer at MEPS got married last week and was going to go for a weekend honeymoon.  Inn Keeper noticed his CC was out of state and they required a COVID test for both showing negative and needed address where they were quarantined for the other 12 days.  Without that they would not take reservation.  Said state is threatening to pull all of the inns licenses if they do not follow guidelines.
  • Options
    SW0320 said:

Maine is should closed right now.  They now have Democrat Gov. who has said no out of staters allowed unless you Quarantine for 14 days.  OPS Officer at MEPS got married last week and was going to go for a weekend honeymoon.  Inn Keeper noticed his CC was out of state and they required a COVID test for both showing negative and needed address where they were quarantined for the other 12 days.  Without that they would not take reservation.  Said state is threatening to pull all of the inns licenses if they do not follow guidelines.
    Thank you for the notes!
    What's next?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    In Florida, if you are near Cape Canaveral, be sure to eat rock shrimp at Dixie Crossroads in Titusville.
    In Maine, the original LL Bean in Freeport is fun to visit.
    Neal
  • Options
    nmyers said:
    In Florida, if you are near Cape Canaveral, be sure to eat rock shrimp at Dixie Crossroads in Titusville.
    In Maine, the original LL Bean in Freeport is fun to visit.
    Neal
    Many thanks to you, Neal.  My son is keeping up to date on all of the posts to this thread!!!
    What's next?
  • Options

If Maine is "Closed" it does not matter. Rather than LL Bean. I prefer, "Maine Sports" a little further North up the Coast. Much better.

LL Bean way too, Cabela'ish, anymore.