In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Purchase.. Gunbroker

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
Haven't owned a 300 Winchester Mag but just bought one. Will get a muzzle break on it. Thought this was a fair buy with shipping included.

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, that's a great rifle at a great price! 300WM is a little heavy on recoil but a good break will make it shoot like a dream. I have held off on putting one on mine but after shooting a friends with a break installed, I think a break is in my future. Bob

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, it's no 25-06, but I reckon it'll do!
    Nice buy, Select!
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,469 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice buy. I've thought about a 300 win mag a few times. For my needs the 7mm Rem Mag is more than enough for anything I'll be hunting

• Options
    Well, it's no 25-06, but I reckon it'll do!
    Nice buy, Select!
    I have a 25/06 long range 26" barrel Remington. :)

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice. Heard the 5R helps out with accuracy with no lands opposite of each other. Let us know how it shoots.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    toad67 said:
    Nice. Heard the 5R helps out with accuracy with no lands opposite of each other. Let us know how it shoots.

Read a lot about the 5r barrels but not shot one. Just like any other accurate rifle the shooter must do their job.

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    Wow, SS with a threaded barrel and free shipping. That was quite the deal. 
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭
    What kind of scope are you putting on it?
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

You practically stole it. Great buy!

• Options
    I've had some good luck finding items on GB thru the yrs at great prices. Man had this at a much higher buy it now.  I emailed him and ask what the shipping was and said I would purchase it for an amount. He agreed and put up the buy it now instead of letting the auction run. All you have to do is ask sometimes... then he included free shipping.   Vortex optics most likely along with a muzzle break. My FFL builds competition rifles  and I am sure he has a break for it.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,707 ******
    Good deal. I’ve been wanting one, myself.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

I would be interested in knowing the model specific production numbers - despite being a catalogued item I suspect a special order or dealer request was made for this gun - and the box tag does not indicate custom shop work...

I cannot imagine many of these were made - one could conceivably use the gun in F class shoots and similar long range terrain specific target events...

Even with the standard profile round barrel external dimensions given the rifling type and the proven long range target accuracy and history of the round I imagine it's a sniper rifle in sheep's clothing as far as performance goes...

It's not a police model or a military model...

Kodiak bear would seem the likely game animal targeted - if not the two legged animal types...

One almost suspects an export model in a "non military" chambering to skirt foreign import restrictions - the tactical bolt knob could be replaced with a "standard hunting model" and but for the threaded bbl it would fly under the radar...

Always found the history of heavy bbl target stocked win model 70's and to a lesser extent comparative Remington's in this caliber fascinating...

I would not have shaken my head at a $999.00 price tag - you stole the gun...

Possibly a distributor specific limited run but no indication on the box tag either - a remarkable acquisition...

Flat stainless finish glass optic or standard black???

I know it's wrong but placing a set of redfield international Olympic iron target sights on it - or one of my anshutz shooter sets would be a fun evolution...

And a trigger shoe - can't recall if I ever saw a stainless trigger shoe...

Random thoughts.

Mike

• Options

I would be interested in knowing the model specific production numbers - despite being a catalogued item I suspect a special order or dealer request was made for this gun - and the box tag does not indicate custom shop work...

I cannot imagine many of these were made - one could conceivably use the gun in F class shoots and similar long range terrain specific target events...

Even with the standard profile round barrel external dimensions given the rifling type and the proven long range target accuracy and history of the round I imagine it's a sniper rifle in sheep's clothing as far as performance goes...

It's not a police model or a military model...

Kodiak bear would seem the likely game animal targeted - if not the two legged animal types...

One almost suspects an export model in a "non military" chambering to skirt foreign import restrictions - the tactical bolt knob could be replaced with a "standard hunting model" and but for the threaded bbl it would fly under the radar...

Always found the history of heavy bbl target stocked win model 70's and to a lesser extent comparative Remington's in this caliber fascinating...

I would not have shaken my head at a $999.00 price tag - you stole the gun...

Possibly a distributor specific limited run but no indication on the box tag either - a remarkable acquisition...

Flat stainless finish glass optic or standard black???

I know it's wrong but placing a set of redfield international Olympic iron target sights on it - or one of my anshutz shooter sets would be a fun evolution...

And a trigger shoe - can't recall if I ever saw a stainless trigger shoe...

Random thoughts.

Mike

Mike I think it is the one Buds has for 250 bucks more. Hence my great price comment. Gun Broker comes through again! Bob
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Pretty good buy. Seller purchased it in late April 2020  Receipt he sent  .. $1014 with tax. Unfired and with the box it came in . Free shipping ..No tax just a 20 buck transfer
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    The 300WM has a bark for sure but recoil is as expected.  Shooting at game or targets at over 250 yards makes the recoil irrelevant.  It hits where you intend it too.
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad the police are holed up. You all but stole that one.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,067 ******
    Nice,Congrats.  You'll love it, it's a power house.  
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yes, great buy.  Wondering why the bolt handle's not a mite larger though?  Any idea?!  :D
    What's next?
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

😃😉😈😷

Here is a nice companion piece to fill in the gun cabinet empty slot next to your new Remington...

Mike

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    Remington quality has been in the dumper since Nardelli mismanaged things in 2012.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Remington quality has been in the dumper since Nardelli mismanaged things in 2012.

Just a pure ignorant statement. I don't have to defend how well my Long Range 700 25/06 Shoots. I expect this 300 Winchester to do the same. Did I mention they both have a Lifetime Warranty. Oh and their new triggers are SWEET. :D
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******

Just a pure ignorant statement. I don't have to defend how well my Long Range 700 25/06 Shoots. I expect this 300 Winchester to do the same. Did I mention they both have a Lifetime Warranty. Oh and their new triggers are SWEET. :D

your data point of 1 proves exactly nothing.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    I don't need to prove anything, obviously you need some kind of pat on the back for going negative on my purchase. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    You get that puppy with right load and glass ,,,,,,,,,, it’ll become your go to gun. 

:)
  • Options

Most of Remingtons problems were with their cheaper models like the adl and the express. They didn't do a very good job with the companies they bought (Marlin, NEF, etc...) either. However I never had many problems with the better grades of Remington rifles like the one you just bought. I think ya dun good!. Bob
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    All my shooters are Remington, some factory stock and some custom builds. All well made and will shoot lights out. . 243, 6 x 284, 7mm mag, 7mm STW, and 204. the 204 will shoot 5 shots in one hole at 100 yards often.
    Yes there is no difference in a couple of the bore sizes but the horsepower is up a somewhat.
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Good deal?
    FREE shipping.........personal check..........new..........stainless.......all  things I like!
    Heck Yeah!
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Nice buy Select.

Still appreciate you for the heads up on the Savage 24V .30-.30 over 20ga. I bought a few years back.

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Congrats: Nice buy and one of my favorite calibers for a do it all gun.
    Things I've experienced over the years from a 300 mag.
    Known for inherit accuracy.
    Some kick hard, some don't. You will be surprised how much felt recoil is reduced by trying a 150 grain bullet instead of a 180. Reloading of course for accuracy. Felt recoil can also be reduced from 30:06's by using a 150 bullet. (I've seen some 06's that felt recoil is in same category as a 300 mag.
    I have grandkids that shoot a 300 mag using a reload for reduced recoil using 5744 powder at 30/30 velocities and very accurate out to 150 yards and sometimes a scope does not even have to be adjusted when going back and forth from LV to HV.  (and the hulls can be reloaded several times when reloading for reduced recoil because the hulls normally don't stretch and thin out. The grain weight of 5744 can sometimes be varied slightly up/down to make the LV load shoot real close to the HV load at 100 yards so as the scope setting stay the same or only a minor adjustment needed.
    A muzzle brake will reduce recoil, but I always try reloading and playing around with 150 gr bullets and recoil can sometimes be tamed so as a muzzle brake is not needed.
     Just a heads up about muzzle brakes. I almost got a ear drum busted when standing beside and slightly behind a gun that shot a 300 mag with a muzzle brake, thought I was shot, blowed my cap off and I could hear ringing for couple days. I now stay away and do not get close to anyone that I'm hunting with that has a muzzle brake on their gun.
    I have a similar Rem 700 Stainless with the synthetic stock (and I even glass bedded the stock and made sure the barrel was floating mainly so as I could remove and re-install the stock and it would still be on target)) and it's my favorite, especially during really bad nasty weather. Killed animals with it as far as I could see them in the scope.
    Put a good name brand reliable scope on it.  (I don't mind spending as much or more for a scope than cost of rifle)  I usually buy Leupold. Lifetime warranty, USA made and been in business since dirt. Leupold's CS has never ever left a bad taste in my mouth and I've bought several of Leupold's used scopes. (only returned one used scope, a 3.5x10 AO Vari XII that AO was hard to turn and they sent me a NEW replacement scope VXII of modern design as an exchange, no charge.  Take a good long look at the manu's warranty (long term warranty) and CS reviews BEFORE buying a scope. I stay away from limited lifetime warranty stuff. This word is ONEclue that you will usually have to argue with their CS if they are even  still in business when you need them.
    A gun can only be as good as a scope.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    From what I have been reading the recoil is about the same as a 3" Mag 12 gauge. I am going to mount the scope  and shoot it as is . If it is a little much I will install one of the Remington recoil pads or limbsaver pad. I put one of those soft Remington ones on my 870 riot gun and with a ported 18 police barrel it kicks about like a light load 20 gauge with 3" mags in it.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭
    I have never noticed the recoil while hunting, with a deer in the sights I guess you forget about it, now a day at the range is another story.........
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Bought me a 20 MOA base for those extra long shots should they ever exist.
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    hillbille said:
    I have never noticed the recoil while hunting, with a deer in the sights I guess you forget about it, now a day at the range is another story.........

unless later you notice a wetness around the eye and then blood starts dripping down from the eye brow area and you won't forget that one.  XXit happens, usually on a cold day with a big jacket on or laying on your belly on the ground and touch her off, your head and body does not move back with the recoil.

Cut eyebrow and blood dripping down from in deer camp is not a good thing. (them other hunter s have no sympathy) if it was a big un and you got em you can live with it, but if you missed, just go home.

• Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

“Cut eyebrow and blood dripping down from in deer camp is not a good thing. (them other hunter s have no sympathy) if it was a big un and you got em you can live with it, but if you missed, just go home.”

I agree Okie, I told my uncle the day before his wedding that my Winchester model 70 in 300 mag. had a good bit of recoil that he needed to give the scope a lot of free space but he didn’t listen. He touched it off and it bit him right over his eye slick as anything. Got him all bloody real quick and the next day at the wedding he had a real doozy of a black eye. My new aunt was not real happy with me.

• Options
    gjshaw said:

“Cut eyebrow and blood dripping down from in deer camp is not a good thing. (them other hunter s have no sympathy) if it was a big un and you got em you can live with it, but if you missed, just go home.”

I agree Okie, I told my uncle the day before his wedding that my Winchester model 70 in 300 mag. had a good bit of recoil that he needed to give the scope a lot of free space but he didn’t listen. He touched it off and it bit him right over his eye slick as anything. Got him all bloody real quick and the next day at the wedding he had a real doozy of a black eye. My new aunt was not real happy with me.

Wondering what the guest thought.... Hey... looks like that bachelor party went sour... yep... that gal probably slapped him good when he got  a little crazy.
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

I can tell you that from that wedding on our family never had a guys shooting match anytime before any more weddings in our family. Our aunt made sure of that. Eventually she forgave me and we all laughed about it years later. She is still alive at 95 living in NY but my uncle passed away 10 years ago.