In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Interesting Deer Encounter-

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in General Discussion

Buddy was out front on his long trolley run when I heard him barking in a way that I knew something was up. Looked out front - could see a large Doe about 15-20 ft. from Buddy, in the woods, both of them just staring at each other. Went outside calling Buddy to "come here." Of course he is ignoring me. I walked up to within about 20 ft. of both of them. Doe still not moving.

All of a sudden the Doe charges buddy (I'm thinking, "this is going to be interesting.") Doe rears up like he is going to try and front foot stomp him. Vears off at the last second and splits. This at 3:30 in the afternoon.

I do see deer in my front yard sauntering across, at strange times of the day. Never seen one charge my dog. Would have liked to have seen Buddy take him down. He was planted and ready to go.

Could have been having tenderloin for dinner.

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    Buddy could have ended up trampled. I saw a buck do a coyote that way and the coyote was not so wily. He ended up dead. Watched it at deer camp in the edge of a field, true.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

I have seen a dog whose face was cut to ribbons and required staples and stitches after being sliced up by deer hooves - a rear up and run over encounter...

Have also seen a lab that was attacked by a fox and got tore up something fierce...

Seeing a deer aggressively challenge and charge a person and a dog would surprise me - it would be an unusual occurrence for sure...

I would understand or expect a startled surprise fight or flight response but that's the opposite of what you describe...

Fascinating.

Mike

• Options
    bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Gotta wonder if there was a younglin' somewhere in the nearby area, to provoke that kind of reaction.
    Big Al (that sounds like really weird behavior from a doe, heck, deer in general! Ken, are you prepped for the "Zombie Deer Apocalypse"? ) ;):D
    ETA: Or have the chipmunks and the deer been talking with each other about Buddy? ;)
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a couple of does showing up in the yard every other day or so with their fawns. Could there have been a fawn back in the edge of the woods that the doe was protecting? About the only time I have seen a doe be aggressive was when I saw one run off a fox that got to close to her fawn. Bob
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    I've occasionally had * hounds catch  and kill deer.  I was having a hard time breaking a good hound off of deer, he was stubborn.  Back before I started using shock collars, you had to catch the dog on the track and let him know that's not going to work.   Anyway, this dog caught a doe one night in my light.  He had run it over two hours way out of hearing and  it had finally circled back.   I was trying to head him off when I seen them come across a field and he caught it as they jump the fence row at the end of the field.   As far as I know that was the last one he ran because I caught him on the deer and persuaded him we weren't going to do that.
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Shot a doe yesterday.  Hit her 3 times.  Semi auto CO2 BB pistol.  She decided the potted flowers growing on our back deck were a free lunch for Bambis.  No, I am NOT going to walk out there.  Mike is absolutely correct- they can filet you with those hooves.  Slid the door open about 6 inches, popped her in the butt from 6 ft, 10 ft, 15 ft- she was gaining speed and altitude.  
  • Options

Yeah, I know Buddy could have got hurt. My $$ still would have been on Buddy. He was planted and ready for that deer. I think the deer realized that when she charged Buddy, and he did not flinch. He is super quick, athletic and powerful.

I am very aware deer can do a number on you with their front hooves. Pretty sure Buddy is as well.

Still, unusual behavior. I realized it was strange, when the Doe let me get to within 20 ft. or so, ignoring me, while I was yelling to/at Buddy. A fascinating encounter.

• Options

My Dad relayed a story about he and a couple GI's in Germany in about 1948-49. They stopped and one guy tried to pick up a fawn and get it out of the road. My Dad said that fawn cut that guy up like crazy. "He was a bloody mess. We took him to the Hospital."

Always remembered that.

I have also seen various videos (that you guys probably have also.) of adult Bucks, totally messing Adult Men up.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    chme said:
    Shot a doe yesterday.  Hit her 3 times.  Semi auto CO2 BB pistol.  She decided the potted flowers growing on our back deck were a free lunch for Bambis.  No, I am NOT going to walk out there.  Mike is absolutely correct- they can filet you with those hooves.  Slid the door open about 6 inches, popped her in the butt from 6 ft, 10 ft, 15 ft- she was gaining speed and altitude.  
    years ago I had an electric fence around my garden deer still got in, only thing was the whole neighborhood fed them and one old guy actually had them named, I was the only one who hunted and didn't really want to shoot one while the little ones were still with her. I got my sons paintball gun and shot one big doe 2-3 times with blue paintballs, she would jump about 3-4 feet in air and come down running. I was talking to my old neighbor a few days later and he told me he thought one of his deer had been hit by a car, it had a big blue bruise on its back leg, I could only laugh and finally told Ralph his deer didn't get hit by a car it got hit by paintball by me, he didn't see the humor in it I did........
  • Options

Many folk have never seen a cartoon looking deer go from standing still to mach III in under 5 seconds - seen the bounding hop skip and jump leaping acceleration or seen them simply spring board leap out a 12 foot fence like somebody launched an ejection seat...

I hear that tiggers bounce - but it's deer that bound and bounce - most folk here already know that...

And a fawn may fool - may lull many into a false sense of gentle and timid and Bambi shy - but they can and do do damage defending the young - and a buck with a rack can kill you...

I wonder how often someone is killed or seriously injured from an encounter with a deer - not even counting car accidents...

You have neighbors who like to feed the pretty fawns and does and make them - in NJ we have idiots who like to feed and name the bears.

Never ends well.

Yes buddy could and would run a deer to death or take one down - I always worry that in the adrenaline rush and endorphin flood and the thrill of the chase / hunt that the dog gets hurt and it's only after he comes up lame or is bleeding badly.

I know they are / can be tough smart athletic predators but you love them and have a bond - and can worry.

Even some good scrums and scrapes and dominance play - pack positional status challenges at the dog park can result in some damage...

Mike

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******
    I too am betting there was a young one pretty close by. 
  • Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    There is a doe that comes into my yard at the lake house.  She has a blue rope around her neck with a silver bell attached.  People at the lake protect the deer and geese.
  • Options

When the taxidermist mounts the head to hang on the wall over the fireplace or hearth in hour man cave or shop building how do you intend to display the blue rope and silver bells..

A natural wind in your hair creature of nature in motion concept or something more haute couture and edgy fashion wise???

Mike