In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Alone -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in General Discussion

100 days in the Arctic. Anyone watching it? Have watched a bunch of the later episodes.

Today, i caught the 1st week in and intro to participants. Watching them focus upon a domecile/shelter and construct it in the wild was instructive/fascinating. These are top tier Marine Recon/Survival instructors, primitive skills instructors etc.

Very instructive to watch, on living off the land. Not an easy task, by any means.

Any one else paying attention to this series?

Comments

• Options

Yeah, the whole Body fat, and you are being physically disqualified **** got me. People doing really well, but got medically disqualified. (By weight.)

I guess you should be relatively Fat, when you get on that show. In shape/low fat people seem to get disqualified fairly early,(Against their will.) by being in shape/low fat.

As the question is proposed, "how hard would would you be willing to work for $10K/day."

I'd work pretty hard for $10K/day. (I still wouldn't make it.)

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    I watched the earlier ones and caught a couple the new ones. It would be darn tough after a week if you didn't get anything except some berries. I dislike cold at my age and would not try it if given an opportunity.
  • Options

I agree, the Fish have been key. Hunting meat on land has not been too productive overall. Small game, squirrels, rabbits etc. (Snare traps.)

Gill nets seem to be the bomb.

Some really innovative shelters have been constructed, with a lot of energy behind them.

Can learn a lot here. (If you pay attention.)

• Options
    edited June 2020
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

"Alone in the Wilderness" is still on my top ten of all time PBS documentaries list / desert island broadcasts favorites - even as background noise is compelling...

Mike

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Never seen it, but would like too, need to finish watching the housewives....... :D
  • Options
    goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    Been watching Alone from the first season, love it. One of the best prepared people, (the guy made a hot tub out of a wrecked boat) had to drop out because he lost his fire steel, and he's not the first person I've seen that happen to on the show....
  • Options
    fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

"Alone in the Wilderness" is still on my top ten of all time PBS documentaries list / desert island broadcasts favorites - even as background noise is compelling...

Mike

Dick Proenneke was the real deal. A quiet, humble badass. 
    'The Last Alaskans' was my favorite show. One the least embellished of the 'reality' shows. Sadly it is gone.
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    Where do you watch it? Netfilx?