In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A few have asked what trouble I had with Remington;

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,035 ******
    This was 8 yrs ago.  A 700 XCR II
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a new 700 about five years ago. The firing pin spring was so weak it would not fire half the time. I just love buying a new toy and having to replace parts on it just so it will function.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    redneckandy - They fix the safety discharge yet? If not that's anothing to fix right out of the box.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    I have owned many 870's & 1100's over the years.  My latest buy was an 1100 trap.  I bought a rifled slug barrel for it, but found it would not fit.  I called Remington customer service; they said that they have modified the shape of some parts for the 870 & 1100 for "commonality of parts", whatever that means.  And, sorry, there was nothing that they could do for me, certainly not give me a refund for the barrel that I couldn't use.
    Neal
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    In the course of our daily lives, everyone has had a catastrophic failure of some sort no matter what the object. Because they happen to us, we readily believe that these failures are plentiful and common occurrences so we heap our anger on the manufacturer(s). Reality is that these failures are usually few and far between. Unfortunately, these failures are planned for by those manufacturers and their insurance companies.

The Remington bolt handle failure has been discussed ad nauseum. Yes it happens, no it doesn't occur frequently based on the hundreds of thousands of Remington bolt action rifles being built every year. But when it happens to you, it's the end of the world and Remington is a crappy company. I've been working with Remingtons for more than a couple of decades and I've worked on many more than you can imagine. I've seen two bolt failures and experienced one personally (out of thousands!).

Remington, like every other firearm manufacturer, buys springs by the millions from companies that make springs by the 10s of millions. It stands to reason, logically, that there will be a few springs which fail. It is not expeditious or economically viable to test every one due to the shear numbers so the makers accept the risk. But when you experience a spring failure, Remington should have tested that one spring so you wouldn't get it.

Any manufacturer working in huge volumes, assumes this type of liability. Sad but true and it doesn't make Remington a bad company when based on all the successful rifles created every day.

Best.

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    My Rem. 700 was built in 1990, bought new in '91 has never failed to fire nor has fired on its own. I've killed a bunch of whitetails with it over the years. My 280 Rem always goes to deer camp, no matter which other gun(s) go.
    I just never buy their 22 ammo.
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭
    My '70 Model 700 in 7mm Rem. Mag. is one of the finest rifles I ever bought. Shot it a few hours ago and put 3 rds. in an inch at 100 yds. with a 4 x 40  Tasco scope.  The ammo is 175 gr. Hot Shot, imported by Century Arms from Boznia-Herzo. Seems to be pretty good ammo. Sure does kick!