In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anybody into coins? Mis-struck nickel?

Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭✭
Some folks think it's been "Wire brushed" but seems to me nickel would be too hard and the finish is too smooth for simple wire brushing, How did they do it and just leave the center of the image?
And why would they do it?  trying to fake a mis-strike?

Comments

• mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭
    Might be a high spot
  • chmechme Member Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Current US 5 cent pieces are 25% nickel, 75% copper.  
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    That's not a mis strike, someone intentionally defaced that coin. High grit sandpaper or something similar. You can see the four main cuts they did.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭✭
    That's not a mis strike, someone intentionally defaced that coin. High grit sandpaper or something similar. You can see the four main cuts they did.
    That was my impression also. I have several miss-struck coins and they don't have a scratch on them. The dies used to make the coins are scratch free and couldn't leave those marks. The blanks before being struck are also almost blemish free. Not sure what they were trying to accomplish but I see the hand of Bubba at work on that nickel. Bob
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    A collecting category known as EFO (errors, freaks, & oddities).  Interesting, but not valuable & little market for them.
    Neal
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Could have been the one in my back pocket when I fell on my *?
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭

A coin shop closing their doors all but begged me to buy a replica of an ancient coin that had been created before such items were required to be clearly reproductions. They wanted more than I would pay for a conversation piece and I let it slide. Often wondered if I should have snagged it.

I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭
    looks like ie was caught up in something that damaged the face and "filed" away on the obverse while somewhat rotating. maybe in a piece of machinery or ??? anyway definitely does not look like a traditional error coin