In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Failed Government Services - How Long Should We Comply?

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
Curious what everyone's thoughts are here. I am dealing with vehicle transactions in two states (Virginia and Texas), and it seems as though the government services in both places have utterly failed during the ongoing COVID stuff.

1. I bought a new motorcycle, and sent in both title/registration and license endorsement application to Texas over six weeks ago. They cashed the check within 5 days of me mailing it. However, they have not sent my paperwork/plates, and DPS/DMV will not even take calls right now. As I am stationed in VA, I also have no way to visit a service center (IF they are even open).

2. I also bought a new utility trailer. Since I am currently stationed in VA, I decided to go ahead and just title/register this one here. To visit DMV (at least in my region), you have to have an appoinment. There is no appointment available within the next two months, and they are not even showing appointments beyond that. As such, I exercised the mail-in option, and sent in all my documents to the Richmond office. Again, it has been over six weeks, and no response. Like Texas, the Virginia DMV will also not take any customer service calls - just gives you a "we're too busy" message and hangs up on you.

At this point, I am seriously considering just using my vehicles and taking my chances. If I were to get pulled over, I would take it to court. I think an argument could be made that if the government cannot provide a required service, then the citizen is not required to comply. It is pretty ridiculous. Luckily, my situation is more of an inconvenience. BUT....what about those who are in the same situation with their commuting vehicle, work truck, etc.? The system is a train-wreck.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts? How long should a citizen be expected to wait on the govt?

Frog   

Comments

• spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    if you die of old age waiting then it is not a problem.........for the govt
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

"if the government cannot provide a required service, then the citizen is not required to comply."

Sums it up pretty well in my book.

Id' bet you would make out pretty well in Court. (Depending on the judge.)

This sounds eerily like trying to be seen by the VA, in a Medical facility just now.

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Bring proof that Texas cashed your check, and you should be OK for the bike.
    If VA did the same for your trailer, you should be OK as well.  We registered our boat online, and received a confirmation email that stated the proof of transaction would be valid until the tabs arrived.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭
    same in mich  bad when they were open impossible now
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭
    Ha!
    We all thought that society would end at The Apocalypse. 
    As it turns out, society is doing just fine. 
    It is the government that has ended and life goes on.
    The moral of the story?  Human life needs society to exist . . . not so much the government.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    mac10 said:
    same in mich  bad when they were open impossible now
    You got that right! Went last Wednesday for my appointment to get an enhanced drivers license. The computer system crashed while the clerk was processing my information. After a half hour wait they said I would need a new appointment. Even with my mask on they could see I was a little perturbed and got me an appointment the next day instead of the normal 2 week wait. The next day it took all of 3 minutes to complete and that included me paying the fee. An extra 25 mile round trip for what amounted to nothing more than them taking my money. Bob

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Went last Wednesday for my appointment to get an enhanced drivers license. The computer system crashed while the clerk was processing my information.

The State computer system for ADOT has been crashing with regularity since they announced we could make appointments to get the enhanced version. Then they took two weeks off to set up a new system and it crashed with the volume of users. I've got a few months, I may just wait a while longer. ;)

Best.

• 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    My wife let her drivers license expire and applied for a non-driver NYS ID. She waited three months but got it day before yesterday. They lost first application and took over a month second time. I kid you not.
  • MrMag00MrMag00 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    Went last Wednesday for my appointment to get an enhanced drivers license. The computer system crashed while the clerk was processing my information.

The State computer system for ADOT has been crashing with regularity since they announced we could make appointments to get the enhanced version. Then they took two weeks off to set up a new system and it crashed with the volume of users. I've got a few months, I may just wait a while longer. ;)

Best.

Tell me about it, lol. They charge us an extra $32 for what? 

I mailed a check in to ADOT for my car, and they finally got the web working so I did my scoot a couple weeks later. Got the tags for the scoot pretty quick, tags for car with mailed in payment just barely made it in time. But as in other places, proof of payement was enough.

I am now looking to buy another bike from out of state, just wonder how that will go. 

You want to talk about a Clusterfluck, try going to a DMV in NJ.

One of Dante's Circles of Hell, comes to mind.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    MO vehicle registration operations completely failed. The somewhat questionable enforcement of licensing turned into no enforcement. People trying to buy/sell a used vehicle were left hanging. It's hard to sell a vehicle when the buyer has no idea how long it will be before he can title and license the vehicle.
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got to ask...Do we really need the heavy-handed DMV? 
    License plates are an invasion of privacy. 
    All the exorbitant fees are just another way to raise money for the government coffers.

Defund speed traps - and I want a refund from Cumberland, Virginia!
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • gemmergemmer Member Posts: 42
    Frogdog said:
    Curious what everyone's thoughts are here. I am dealing with vehicle transactions in two states (Virginia and Texas), and it seems as though the government services in both places have utterly failed during the ongoing COVID stuff.

1. I bought a new motorcycle, and sent in both title/registration and license endorsement application to Texas over six weeks ago. They cashed the check within 5 days of me mailing it. However, they have not sent my paperwork/plates, and DPS/DMV will not even take calls right now. As I am stationed in VA, I also have no way to visit a service center (IF they are even open).

2. I also bought a new utility trailer. Since I am currently stationed in VA, I decided to go ahead and just title/register this one here. To visit DMV (at least in my region), you have to have an appoinment. There is no appointment available within the next two months, and they are not even showing appointments beyond that. As such, I exercised the mail-in option, and sent in all my documents to the Richmond office. Again, it has been over six weeks, and no response. Like Texas, the Virginia DMV will also not take any customer service calls - just gives you a "we're too busy" message and hangs up on you.

At this point, I am seriously considering just using my vehicles and taking my chances. If I were to get pulled over, I would take it to court. I think an argument could be made that if the government cannot provide a required service, then the citizen is not required to comply. It is pretty ridiculous. Luckily, my situation is more of an inconvenience. BUT....what about those who are in the same situation with their commuting vehicle, work truck, etc.? The system is a train-wreck.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts? How long should a citizen be expected to wait on the govt?

Frog   
    SO, YOU'RE IN THE MILITARY? YOU NEED ANOTHER LINE OF WORK IF THAT'S YOUR ATTITUDE. 
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    gemmer said:
    Frogdog said:

Frog   
    SO, YOU'RE IN THE MILITARY? YOU NEED ANOTHER LINE OF WORK IF THAT'S YOUR ATTITUDE. 
    so do you......

Gemmer -

The proper comment here should have been "Thank you for your Service Sir."

Why do you come here, if you only throw out snarky comments?

Hey Frogdog - Thank you for your Service Sir.