In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gold & Silver are Spiking!

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
 Gold is close to 1850 while silver is close to 23 dollars an ounce. Congress is going to spend another 2 trillion to keep bailing out the phony economy with no jobs for the middle class,.Who would have thought? That the Deficit will be close to 30 trillion dollars by the end of the year?
                                               serf

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Well if I had gold I would be thinking about dumping it. I do have a few silver coins.
  • Options
    MrMag00MrMag00 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    I bought a pile of silver when it dropped below 15. Pretty good return if I sold now, but I think after the dollar collapses, it is hard to know what currency will prevail. 1 million confederate dollars won't buy much today. but 1 million ounces would go petty far. 
  • Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    You haven't priced Confederate money lately.
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭
    i will sell ya a nice sammich for a oz silver
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭
    I am old enough that I recall the Hunt brothers driving silver up to over $50/ounce. I took an educated guess and sold what I had before it crashed a couple of weeks later. That was 40 years ago and silver has never managed to get close to that since then. I have kept a bit around and this may be another one of those same situations so I am going to keep an eye on the trend and act accordingly. Bob
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

I remember the hunt brothers and the high silver values. My father called me from Florida one winter while I was still living in New York and told me to go to his home and get a five gallon bucket of silver from his cellar and take it and cash it in. He had been collecting all the silver he had found on his rural mail route for 25 years in these five gallon buckets in his cellar. He had two completely full. I took the bucket and cashed it in and he bought a brand new Pontiac Parisienne with the money.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭
    gjshaw said:

I remember the hunt brothers and the high silver values. My father called me from Florida one winter while I was still living in New York and told me to go to his home and get a five gallon bucket of silver from his cellar and take it and cash it in. He had been collecting all the silver he had found on his rural mail route for 25 years in these five gallon buckets in his cellar. He had two completely full. I took the bucket and cashed it in and he bought a brand new Pontiac Parisienne with the money.

Bought the first wife a new Camaro with part of my silver money. Sadly I no longer have the Camaro. Bob
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I think after the dollar collapses, it is hard to know what currency will prevail

My bet is bullets.

RLTW

• Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭

For several years I havebeen making (and hoarding) blackberry wine.

I figure I can trade it for almost anything.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options

More actions 0n precious metals?

serf

Gold surged to a nine-year peak on Wednesday as an escalation in U.S.-China tensions stoked demand for safety, while silver followed bullion’s rally to hit a near seven-year high on hopes for a recovery in industrial demand.

Spot gold hit its highest since September 2011 at $1,870.01, nearing its all-time peak hit the same month. Spot gold jumped 1.3% to $1,865.61 per ounce, while U.S. gold futures closed 1.2% higher at $1,865.1 per ounce.

“Gold is accelerating higher and that’s been mainly on the geopolitical tensions with China. There seems to be no end in sight for this escalation ... and it’s going to damage sentiment as the world’s largest countries continue to bicker,” said Edward Moya, senior market analyst at broker OANDA.

• Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    The higher prices are making it tough for me to add to my coin collection, even for high quality copper coins.

If I were to sell the bullion silver coins, the big question is what to do with the proceeds.  The food pantry could be restocked for another pandemic but it won't take much.  Have enough firearms, ammo and reloading supplies, lead and molds for bullets, etc.  Could put it towards a down payment and replace the 2010 Tacoma  (only 106K miles) and pay the loan back with inflated dollars.  Have a reserve of cash on hand.  Wanted to visit Yellowstone and Cody this year but can't now.  Perhaps invest it in a firearm or two but I have enough.    Decisions decisions.  For now its wait and watch the silver price.    Perhaps some in stocks or bonds.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    Have a couple hundred pounds of silver that was purchased for an average price of probably $ 15.00 per ounce.

It currently is making a 300 Lb. safe weigh 500 Lbs, and is thus serving a useful purpose to dissuade a thief.  Have thought about selling half of it, but as victorj19 states, there really is not a logically safer or obviously better thing to do with cash at present.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭
    At least you can still buy gold and silver, cannot say the same for ammunition right now.
  • Options
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    Gold north of $ 2,010.00 and silver pushing $ 26.00 really hard.

It is tempting to dump half of each, but there really is not a good place to put cash right now.

Did put a pair of shoelaces on layaway at Dollar General a couple of weeks back.  Maybe it is time....
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah sell it and dump it in the market. gotta go up higher no place else for money to go. Went to the Dentist today for a cleaning and hygenist was telling me about people doubling their money and making a mint in Robinhood app. screw valuations.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    keep on climbing